What is your reaction when someone says they do or coach kickboxing but its just kickboxing fitness.

A lot of legit boxing coaches actually teach boxercise classes, or one on one fitness boxing classes to make ends meet.

There is not a lot of money in training little kids to become pros until they become pro, and feel affection for you, and keep you on.

Most boxing coaches are not Freddy Roach or Teddy Atlas. They dont have big names under their belt.

Yes, but I was referring to a general fitness instructor who does like zumba or something and calls themselves a kickboxing coach. I'm talking about someone who doesn't even know what a Thai clinch or a leg kick is calling themselves a coach.

This. I attended CSA’s coaching clinic and even after 30+ world champions and 1100 current members coach Kirian is the first to say that his Gym thrives because of fitness clients.

Yeah when you look at the big picture:
The cardio fitness people who feel good after a good workout, and feel "badass" striking. They pay the full tuition, so anywhere between $800-$1600 a year

Pro fighters on the other hand don't pay jack except once they get pay money. Usually 10% to the coach.
Some coaches get even gung ho on ammy prospects and let them go without paying. I have to say I've seen my share of fighters turned gym owners, and some have no business being in business.

So your average pro guy makes $600-2000 a fight, so thats $60-200 a fight. Guy fights 3-4x a year, and the coach gets $240-$800 a year. Thats worse than a 13 year old at McD. So a gym banking on fighters only most of the time ends up in bankruptcy.

The quality of your strikes improve conciderably from punching focus pads, so to say that it is completely irrelevant to fighting is not correct.

Okay, I was under the impression that without instruction on technique, that it would be so watered down that they wouldn't really be learning much. Maybe I was wrong.

The strength and conditioning gym I belong to offers cardio kickboxing, and I am one of the instructors. I don't call myself an coach and I don't like to use the word teach when talking about it, because all I do is give them basic drills that are high energy and give them the sweat they're looking for. I took this opportunity because it came with a free membership and I was hoping that maybe someone would become interested and maybe want to take private lessons (spoiler alert, no one has).

As far as the class, I have seen some of the most atrocious technique imaginable and honestly holding pads for some of these people is way more dangerous than anyone you would hold for in a real KB/MT gym.

What makes me laugh and roll my eyes are the few who have previous MA experience (99.9% of the time it's in a traditional TMA) have the cockiest attitude in the class, while their technique would be torn to shreds at a reputable gym. Like calm down Sharon, it's cardio kickboxing and no one throws a cross from their waist.

To clarify, I do actually train Muay Thai, just at a different gym.

Okay, I was under the impression that without instruction on technique, that it would be so watered down that they wouldn't really be learning much. Maybe I was wrong.

No, you're not wrong. Correct instruction and feedback is key to a skill. Fighting is a skill. Having no corrective feedback from a competent teacher is worse than not doing it at all as then you form bad habits.

In any case, what does it matter? If someone wants to do something, they'd better put some work in figuring out how they're going to get there. Its easy enough to research instructors and also, to find out what to expect from reputable schools.

Last edited:
Yes, but I was referring to a general fitness instructor who does like zumba or something and calls themselves a kickboxing coach. I'm talking about someone who doesn't even know what a Thai clinch or a leg kick is calling themselves a coach.

Oh, well I think they should only call themselves KB fitness, and not KB. Without sparring it should not be called KB, even if you hit the bags.

I think there ought to be some law regarding this. I dont think you can market yourself as a BBall coach, if you never have your students play a game under the BBall ruleset. Even playing HORSE is not good enough.

My nearby ice rinks offer classes in ice hockey for adults who never played. It is for fitness too. They skate, pass and shoot, and its all great for fitness, but even at the end of class there is a full hockey scrimmage w/out hitting though.

Ya that's kind of like what I mean. This was a chick who refers to herself as a kickboxing coach when she is just a fitness instructor. She probably doesn't even know what a thai clinch is. This stuff is getting out of hand.

haha next time ask for some tip that you know well off and just put her on the spot. trying to think of an example with my baked mind....

Her: "Ok ladies and getleman, 10 body kicks - *shows demonstration*"
You the sherdog master: Excuse me, I was in the hindsight that *correct the fraud* - make her feel embarrassed. ; "is there a reason why you're not pivoting or driving with your hips? I was always taught that, that is where the power is generated from"

Surely she won't call herself a kickboxing instructor after her whole class witnessing the fact that she knows jack all about kickboxing!

The websites usually make it clear whether it's a fitness gym. kickboxing or boxing conditioning/fitness. "Training derived from" .... Such and such

haha next time ask for some tip that you know well off and just put her on the spot. trying to think of an example with my baked mind....

Her: "Ok ladies and getleman, 10 body kicks - *shows demonstration*"
You the sherdog master: Excuse me, I was in the hindsight that *correct the fraud* - make her feel embarrassed. ; "is there a reason why you're not pivoting or driving with your hips? I was always taught that, that is where the power is generated from"

Surely she won't call herself a kickboxing instructor after her whole class witnessing the fact that she knows jack all about kickboxing!

This ^ all the way.

My reaction to something similar this year.

Guy hears I train and on the topic of grappling, he said he wrestles. So I'm interested, its nice to meet someone outside of the gym and the usual crew who trains.

Okay, guy's not in peak shape, but I give the benefit of the doubt and figured he might;ve burned out and is enjoying life. Its possible. We clinch up, and the guy doesn't know even the most basics of grappling and has no sensitivity or reaction...

Turns out this con job meant WWE wrestling, and by that I mean watches and doesn't do any of that physically either.

I felt so robbed

I know a guy that randomly decided to become a pro wrestler. The training is actually pretty intense. Not that it relates to your guy, but it's interesting. A properly trained fake wrestler actually get a good bit of judo and other grappling experience, and they're in great shape.

I know a guy that randomly decided to become a pro wrestler. The training is actually pretty intense. Not that it relates to your guy, but it's interesting. A properly trained fake wrestler actually get a good bit of judo and other grappling experience, and they're in great shape.
I'm sure its tough, especially with all the stunts they do. Alot of them are also pretty athletic also given their size. Saw one where they were doing jumps over each other off irish whips and the jumps looked like the equivalent of 50-60" box jumps

My issue is with the uneducated fans.

I think, "there's a dude who has serious potential to get a lot of chicks!" /thread

I think, "there's a dude who has serious potential to get a lot of chicks!" /thread
I just tell people on a daily basis I'm a Sherdogger. I've been swimming in pussy ever since. Too much its been drowning me actually.

• 6'5 300lbs @ 4% bodyfat
  • 15" shlong
  • made $500,000,000 while under 30
  • street fighting record of 500-0-1
  • Smash boise dimes for 144h straight

Well, I'm 6'5 300 pounds at about 30% body fat
5-6" shlong flacid
will be working until the day I die
elementary -high school fighting record of 3-1-1
Get sufficient amounts of pussy (with these stats, I'm a heartbreaker)
Not a kickboxing instructor but may take it up to get more more pussy

Back