What is your reaction when someone says they do or coach kickboxing but its just kickboxing fitness.

teamventure09

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I never react when someone says they do kickboxing or they'e a kickboxer but its just a fitness class.

However, today was different when someone said they're a kickboxing coach.

I kindly told them that it' not fair to real kickboxing coaches for you to use the same title.

To me it's like someone who knows how to lay a splint calling themselves a doctor.

What are your reactions to this type of stuff when it comes to mma and kickboxing? Should we just call it fitness kickboxing or should a fitness class atendee say I'm a kickboxer.

Yes, I like fitness kickboxing. "I'm a fitness kickboxing coach."

I've seen some of these requirements. All you need is 1 year training in the field and you can go apply to be a "coach". I see no problem with that since I was kind of teaching guys who to throw a jab after a few months. But by no means can they teach/coach someone through a fight. You need real in ring experience to do that.

Thank you for the reply. Is there a distinction between what you'e describing and someone who just does fitness drills with pads but doesn' really learn form?

So traditional martial arts styles with no contact-sparring provokes you too? They are fitness by the same token

Yes, I like fitness kickboxing. "I'm a fitness kickboxing coach."

I've seen some of these requirements. All you need is 1 year training in the field and you can go apply to be a "coach". I see no problem with that since I was kind of teaching guys who to throw a jab after a few months. But by no means can they teach/coach someone through a fight. You need real in ring experience to do that.

Doesn't sound very sexy does it. I disagree that a person needs in ring experience to be able to coach someone through a fight. Don't get me wrong, it helps a ton in the greater scheme of things. In the end it's a part of who the person/coach is. In the extremes, no fight experience may make the coach completely objective and on the opposite end, a coach who is a top fighter my grow frustrated as their charge can't execute techniques that they take for granted themselves

In sports like wrestling, jiu-jitsu, or judo, almost every top tier coach was also a highly successful competitor.

In sports like k1 or boxing however, success as a coach is only incidentally intersected with success as a competitor (success being defined here as, producing many guys successful at high levels of competition; medal chasers).

I haven't really thought that hard on why that may be, but there it is. (The correlation in moo thigh seems to me somewhat in-between the given examples.)

So traditional martial arts styles with no contact-sparring provokes you too? They are fitness by the same token

I guess my only concern is people walking around using the term kickboxing or kickboxer when referring to a fitness class therefore making it synonimous with learning real fighting skills.

I guess my only concern is people walking around using the term kickboxing or kickboxer when referring to a fitness class therefore making it synonimous with learning real fighting skills.

Well I mean it depends man. If he's an actual kickboxer or has relevant extensive martial art experience (striking in this instance) then I wouldn't really care and honestly would think that he's just doing this for extra side money or as a secondary income; "Personal/Group Training" etc.

However, if he looks like the typical bloke who's just trained for a couple of years (no balance, no coordination, sloppy technique), has never competed etc and calls himself a kickboxing 'instructor' then i'd question the lad and secretly smirk in the back of my head.

Most mediocre gyms around here though just call it 'fitness boxing', 'thaiboxing', 'kickboxing + abs" unless it's a proper mma gym with qualified instructors.

My reaction to something similar this year.

Guy hears I train and on the topic of grappling, he said he wrestles. So I'm interested, its nice to meet someone outside of the gym and the usual crew who trains.

Okay, guy's not in peak shape, but I give the benefit of the doubt and figured he might;ve burned out and is enjoying life. Its possible. We clinch up, and the guy doesn't know even the most basics of grappling and has no sensitivity or reaction...

Turns out this con job meant WWE wrestling, and by that I mean watches and doesn't do any of that physically either.

I felt so robbed

Last edited:
Well I mean it depends man. If he's an actual kickboxer or has relevant extensive martial art experience (striking in this instance) then I wouldn't really care and honestly would think that he's just doing this for extra side money or as a secondary income; "Personal/Group Training" etc.

However, if he looks like the typical bloke who's just trained for a couple of years (no balance, no coordination, sloppy technique), has never competed etc and calls himself a kickboxing 'instructor' then i'd question the lad and secretly smirk in the back of my head.

Most mediocre gyms around here though just call it 'fitness boxing', 'thaiboxing', 'kickboxing + abs" unless it's a proper mma gym with qualified instructors.

Ya that's kind of like what I mean. This was a chick who refers to herself as a kickboxing coach when she is just a fitness instructor. She probably doesn't even know what a thai clinch is. This stuff is getting out of hand.

My reaction to something similar this year.

Guy hears I train and on the topic of grappling, he said he wrestles. So I'm interesting, its nice to meet someone outside of the gym and the usual crew who trains.

Okay, guy's not in peak shape, but I give the benefit of the doubt and figured he might;ve burned out and is enjoying life. Its possible. We clinch up, and the guy doesn't know even the most basics of grappling and has no sensitivity or reaction...

Turns out this con job meant WWE wrestling, and by that I mean watches and doesn't do any of that physically either.

I felt so robbed

Ya that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. It's like someone drives a car and says they do nascar.

It's just like the McDojos and wannabe self-defense gurus that teach JKD. People work up a sweat, do a lot of things and stuff, and think that means fighting.

Illusion vs reality...

Sometimes they really get creative with the marketing for naming and it fooled me at first, but these days overkill on the name is kinda a given it'll be boxfit

Someone should walk into one of these places and ask the instructor in front of the class if they offer sparring.

A lot of legit boxing coaches actually teach boxercise classes, or one on one fitness boxing classes to make ends meet.

There is not a lot of money in training little kids to become pros until they become pro, and feel affection for you, and keep you on.

Most boxing coaches are not Freddy Roach or Teddy Atlas. They dont have big names under their belt.

A lot of legit boxing coaches actually teach boxercise classes, or one on one fitness boxing classes to make ends meet.

There is not a lot of money in training little kids to become pros until they become pro, and feel affection for you, and keep you on.

Most boxing coaches are not Freddy Roach or Teddy Atlas. They dont have big names under their belt.

This. I attended CSA’s coaching clinic and even after 30+ world champions and 1100 current members coach Kirian is the first to say that his Gym thrives because of fitness clients.

There is a distinction in titles though, I’ll give you that. There are trainers, coaches, assistant coaches, instructors, and teachers just off the top of my head. Trainers may teach cardio boxing classes but they also work 1 on 1 with athletes but aren’t running programs. Coaches might not run as many classes as they did once, but they’re managing fighters and programs. Someone who teaches a cardio boxing class isn’t doing any of the other stuff.

I don’t care. You should know the difference and if you don’t then you probably belong there.

In sports like wrestling, jiu-jitsu, or judo, almost every top tier coach was also a highly successful competitor.

In sports like k1 or boxing however, success as a coach is only incidentally intersected with success as a competitor (success being defined here as, producing many guys successful at high levels of competition; medal chasers).

I haven't really thought that hard on why that may be, but there it is. (The correlation in moo thigh seems to me somewhat in-between the given examples.)
Grappling doesn't give you long term brain damage so everyone does it who's interested. I wouldn't be suprised if Greg Jackson rolled bout doesn't sparr

The quality of your strikes improve conciderably from punching focus pads, so to say that it is completely irrelevant to fighting is not correct.

Back