What is your go to muay thai plum defense?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
If you research it, there appears to be various ways to defend muay thai plums, but it may be difficult to know what is the best way to defend it unless you have a fair bit of experience with it, not just in training, but perhaps in competitions against someone who's trying to smash your face in with their knees.

So sherbros, what is your go to muay thai plum defense, if you were to be stuck in thai plum against Anderson Silva, pre-USADA, Rich Franklin-Version and he thinks you are Chael Sonnen and have all the motivation in the world to crush your face into the back of your skull?

I'm assuming you mean the double collar tie. Go cup to cup, keep a strong posture and swim inside to get a dominant position to strike, sweep or disengage.

Or drop to a double if I was really Chael.

Turn to break it but don't move back in straight line. Keep hand gripping inside of bicep rather coming from the outside.

I'm assuming you mean the double collar tie. Go cup to cup, keep a strong posture and swim inside to get a dominant position to strike, sweep or disengage.

Or drop to a double if I was really Chael

lul. nice

Or drop to a double if I was really Chael.

I actually haven't seen a double being hit when someone has a solid muay thai plum on a guy.

Grab a body lock, suck the hips in, and throw.

I actually haven't seen a double being hit when someone has a solid muay thai plum on a guy.
If the elbows are properly squeezing, then it is nearly impossible to get your head out and drop for a double.

If the elbows are properly squeezing, then it is nearly impossible to get your head out and drop for a double.

Yeah but I thought we were talking about the MT clinches of MMA dudes.:rolleyes:

standard defense is to get to 50/50 position, 1 hand on neck, other on forearm.

Drop body weight to get feet under the head, point elbows down to block any incoming knees, place a hand under each of their elbows, stand up and push forward. They have great difficulty using their leverage because you lift them and then take their balance away.

Theres a ton of different ways to defend depending on the position and what kind of grip the dude has and whether you're on the ropes or in the open. One I feel comfortable with is grabbing their back/lat with one hand and using your shoulder on that side, pivot and twist your shoulders aggressively like you're throwing a hook to push his elbows off of your centreline, that creates space to pummel back in.

Kinda hard to explain haha

Theres a ton of different ways to defend depending on the position and what kind of grip the dude has and whether you're on the ropes or in the open. One I feel comfortable with is grabbing their back/lat with one hand and using your shoulder on that side, pivot and twist your shoulders aggressively like you're throwing a hook to push his elbows off of your centreline, that creates space to pummel back in.

Sounds pretty similar to the method demonstrated by Petchboonchu.
He grabs around the neck instead of the back but everything else is the same.

I just spent the last month or so working with a woman who had an mma fight coming up against someone who prefers the Thai double collar tie. First thing we did was work on shrugging off the hand as it reaches out. After that we worked cross facing your opponent. Third we worked the body lock
Take down. Lost a split decision but my girl looked good in there.

Grab a body lock, suck the hips in, and throw.
This
Cant remember anyone doing that in mma outside Sakurai I guess maybe
its only legal in mma from what I gather

I just spent the last month or so working with a woman who had an mma fight coming up against someone who prefers the Thai double collar tie. First thing we did was work on shrugging off the hand as it reaches out. After that we worked cross facing your opponent. Third we worked the body lock
Take down. Lost a split decision but my girl looked good in there.

Really cool! How did she lose? Did she win clinch work?

Basics for plum in MT:

-50/50. Hand in his arm is not just resting there, it's controlling.
-Cup to cup.
-Stay tall.
-Always be aware of his hands.
-Always be aware of the space you give. Head space = elbows, body space = Knees.
-The forearms of the hands that are grabbing the head, must squeeze the neck. The elbows must dig in his chest, making a frame.
-Inside is a dominating position, but you can do good work and control from the outside.
-Learn how to swim safely. During swimming, beginners gives huge openings.
-Learn how to use your shoulders to break out.
-Train your balance, train to feel your opponents balance, train the basic moves to break his posture. The clinch is a lot more close to wrestling. You "feel" your opponent as much as you see him.
-Train the trips.
-Constantly push, pull, sideways etc... No rest.
-Cross-face is a basic technique, but there are lots of mistakes been made. From not using your entire body to been caught in an arm triangle.
-If you want to ref to reset it, bodylock, give no space for him to work at all.

Clinching is a world apart. It must be trained constantly. You cannot expect to be efficient in it in a couple of weeks, even if you have years of standup experience. The classic example is the huge KBoxers who go to Thailand to train, and are manhandle in the plum exercises from kids 1/3 of their weight.

There's a few things I do, because the plum is the lowest form of clinching :p

My favourite is to cross face with my right arm, step behind his legs with my right leg, then create a scissor motion between my cross facing arm and leg, and I just throw them over.

Alternatively, I'll weave one arm through and wrap it around his arm to get control of it.

Test the strength of the elbows, if they're lose, throw and elbow around it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back