What is Your Favorite Way to Attack Turtle?

In a gi.

I realized that I have had some good success recently attacking with a sankaku, by going around to the front (sprawl position) and putting my foot on the knee and putting my knee on the opposite shoulder, then grabbing the opposite (free) arm and then falling to my side and locking it up etc.

I also like to use some turn overs to hold downs too, this works quite well as I am fast at doing a few that I usually go for in Judo, mainly when I am from behind and grab the wrist and pull it through (so uke falls on shoulder) then spin around and get the arm up so it's kind of in a juji gatame position, then either pin or go for the armbar.

My back control is okay, but not great, I prefer getting the opponent's back to the mat.

What are yours?

Crucifix all the way. Even before entering, the basic setup position-- with your knee wedged deep between opponents ribs, your arms in seatbelt grip (or collar/wrist grip)-- is a great home base for a variety of turtle attacks. I've been having a ton of success lately alternating between crucifix and clock choke, entering from guillotines or knee slice passes.

The way this guy shows the crucifix:

Honestly, a lot of times I'll just revert to wrestling and go nearside cradle.

I get a seatbelt, then I take the back.

How do you deal with people blocking your seatbelt attempts? I find it hard to seatbelt people who turtle tight and keep the limbs tight and hands defending neck area

I like going for the basics.

My favorite move in BJJ.... everyone in the gym is on high alert for this and I still get it to work, just have to be sneaky on securing that first grip.

I get caught by this daily :(

How do you deal with people blocking your seatbelt attempts? I find it hard to seatbelt people who turtle tight and keep the limbs tight and hands defending neck area

I use my knees to separate uke's elbows from his hips/ribs if I need to, though in practice it's almost impossible to protect both your neck and defend the seatbelt. A lot of what I do is attack front headlock chokes and when the hands come up to defend switch to the seatbelt. It's funny, I used to have problems with people defending the seatbelt, now I never do even against good guys. Not sure what changed, maybe I just got better at hand fighting.

Back