What is Your Favorite Way to Attack Turtle?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
In a gi.

I realized that I have had some good success recently attacking with a sankaku, by going around to the front (sprawl position) and putting my foot on the knee and putting my knee on the opposite shoulder, then grabbing the opposite (free) arm and then falling to my side and locking it up etc.

I also like to use some turn overs to hold downs too, this works quite well as I am fast at doing a few that I usually go for in Judo, mainly when I am from behind and grab the wrist and pull it through (so uke falls on shoulder) then spin around and get the arm up so it's kind of in a juji gatame position, then either pin or go for the armbar.

My back control is okay, but not great, I prefer getting the opponent's back to the mat.

What are yours?

Or you mean gi specific?

Last edited:
roger-huerta-soccer-kick.gif

Or you mean gi specific?

Yeah, more gi. I could never attack that sort of stuff in no gi lol. All I ever do from turtle (no gi) is pin first, then decide what to do next.

Yeah, more gi. I could never attack that sort of stuff in no gi lol. All I ever do from turtle (no gi) is pin first, then decide what to do next.

If you ever have the seatbelt grip, you can attack the seatbelt/'bulgarian' choke, as described by Lyubo in the first vid. Its pretty much like a no gi version of the clock choke.

The clock choke is imo the simplest, lowest 'barrier to entry' sub for attacking the turtle in the gi.

Last edited:
I get a seatbelt, then I take the back.

Grab them by the back of their collar (like its a handle) and lift up and back, and snap them backwards, while inserting hooks.
Progress with choke or other attack of your choice.

All this other stuff is too complicated. Why give them an arm or leg to grab??

My favorite move in BJJ.... everyone in the gym is on high alert for this and I still get it to work, just have to be sneaky on securing that first grip.

Seatbelt and take the back..

from there I usually go straight into an armbar.

No gi I also pull into the truck and attack the guillotine.

Clock choking recently.
Low risk, high reward, really hard to defend once locked. (if you put your head on the ground not to get rolled).

I've had lots of success with the Gerbi choke. My go-to when the rules allow it.

Besides the clock choke and juji roll,

Rodeo turnover:
giphy.gif

Rodeo/Suicide choke:
giphy.gif

My favorite move in BJJ.... everyone in the gym is on high alert for this and I still get it to work, just have to be sneaky on securing that first grip.

This is one of my favorite shime waza techniques. If in randori, I score but not with ippon; when the uke rolls into turtle, I like to roll this way. Or sometimes if I do decide to take the back with my hooks in.

i prefer the rolling bow and arrow for people turtling on their hands and knees.

when they're belly-down i like to go for clock choke.

if they get a hand in their collar to defend the clock choke the rodeo choke will usually still get them to gurgle/tap.

rodeo isn't the best for someone on their hands and knees because they can buck you off before you get them onto their shoulder. belly-down it's fantastic because they're already flattened out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back