What is your favorite Metallica song?

I don't know about the favorite song, but "...and justice for all" with the bass guitar is probably my favorite album.

You ever read that interview with Steve Thompson? He was the guy who mixed AJFA.

http://loudwire.com/sound-mixer-metallica-and-justice-for-all-blames-lars-ulrich-thin-bass-sound/
Thompson is a prominent producer and sound mixer, who has worked with everyone from Guns N’ Roses to Madonna. He told the outlet that Ulrich knew exactly how he wanted the drums to sound on the disc, and demanded the bass be moved way down to make that happen. “We had to get the drum sound up the way he had it,” Thompson explained. “I wasn’t a fan of it. So now he goes, ‘See the bass guitar?’ and I said, ‘Yeah, great part, man. He killed it.’ He said, ‘I want you to bring down the bass where you can barely, audibly hear it in the mix.’ I said, ‘You’re kidding. Right?’ He said, ‘No. Bring it down.’ I bring it down to that level and he says, ‘Now drop it down another 5 dB.’ I turned around and looked at [Metallica guitarist James] Hetfieldand said, ‘He’s serious?’ It just blew me away.”

You ever read that interview with Steve Thompson? He was the guy who mixed AJFA.

http://loudwire.com/sound-mixer-metallica-and-justice-for-all-blames-lars-ulrich-thin-bass-sound/
Yep, it's not exactly a secret. Jason pretty much was the black sheep of the group from the day he joined to the day he said "I'm out."

There's mixes of AJFA on youtube with the bass's volume back to normal levels, or rather louder than normal levels. Or perhaps I'm so used to the studio versions of thise songs, hearing any bass at all is weird.

To be fair, I don't think Rob has any role in the writing/mixing of any tracks, from Death Magnetic anyway. I don't recall any tracks that I thought 'The bass sounds really good here.'

But, since Cliff died, Metallica has been a Rythem/Lead/Drums band, and the bass has been the 5th wheel.

Yep, it's not exactly a secret. Jason pretty much was the black sheep of the group from the day he joined to the day he said "I'm out."

There's mixes of AJFA on youtube with the bass's volume back to normal levels, or rather louder than normal levels. Or perhaps I'm so used to the studio versions of thise songs, hearing any bass at all is weird.

To be fair, I don't think Rob has any role in the writing/mixing of any tracks, from Death Magnetic anyway. I don't recall any tracks that I thought 'The bass sounds really good here.'

But, since Cliff died, Metallica has been a Rythem/Lead/Drums band, and the bass has been the 5th wheel.
I've always felt that Jason was terribly underrated. I've seen him live a few times. But I get what you're saying. Cliff was an actual song writing presence in the band.

I've always felt that Jason was terribly underrated. I've seen him live a few times. But I get what you're saying. Cliff was an actual song writing presence in the band.

Oh I wholeheartedly about Jason. Very underrated bassist, and his backup vocals were a perfect compliment to James. He also had amazing stage presence.

For me, Jason > Rob.

Oh I wholeheartedly about Jason. Very underrated bassist, and his backup vocals were a perfect compliment to James. He also had amazing stage presence.

For me, Jason > Rob.
Yeah buddy. As much as I like Rob I agree, Jason was just a better fit in Metallica.

There's too many good ones . . . my favourite band of all time. If I had to pick one?

Disposable Heroes

Hons: Seek and Destroy, Dyers Eve, My Friend of Misery, All Nightmare Long, Holier Than Thou, Ain't My Bitch, Invisible Kid, Wasting My Hate, Bleeding Me, Struggle Within, Blackened, Battery, Shortest Straw, St Anger, Frantic, Unnamed Feeling, And Justice For All, Struggle Within . . . and many more

I'll include Holier Than Thou cuz I think its pretty good and rarely gets mentioned:

I like the wendel clark hockey tribute using that song. Really highlighted the reliance and how much he stepped up for the leafs. Wiah he could have won a cup. So many good players dont like him and thornton etc

That's like the greatest video on youtube, whoever made it is a national treasure because the video matches with the song perfect. I never was big on that song or album but if I were to hear it now it puts a smile on my face because it reminds me of #17 lmao. Check the gnp at 3:12, man hockey was wild in the 80s and 90s.

I'll just go "Master of Puppets", monumental. It sometimes is "Fade to Black" but if we're talking metal epics and not ballads it doesn't get better than Puppets.

I don't know about the favorite song, but "...and justice for all" with the bass guitar is probably my favorite album.

Holy shit man, it's like I'm hearing the album for the first time.

Sounds completely different.

That's like the greatest video on youtube, whoever made it is a national treasure because the video matches with the song perfect. I never was big on that song or album but if I were to hear it now it puts a smile on my face because it reminds me of #17 lmao. Check the gnp at 3:12, man hockey was wild in the 80s and 90s.

This guy is a funny case. I am surprised he isnt completely handicapped or disabled by now. When he first started playing he amassed two 30+ goal season while still fighting everyone. But right after his first two years, he never played a full season and of course his scoring dropped off. And then 6-7 years down the road he managed 40+ goals. Yet again a few years later he garnered 30+ again.

For whoom the bell tools. Its also the song that made me a fan of metallica when i first heard it in intro to zombieland movie:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back