What is your Favorite Kind of Wine?

What is your Favorite Kind of Wine?

• Total voters
With this tropical summer, I've been drinking rose.

With this tropical summer, I've been drinking rose.
Same here lately. It's been pretty hot for a minute, and a good few glasses of refreshingly cool rose really get the job done.

Same here lately. It's been pretty hot for a minute, and a good few glasses of refreshingly cool rose really get the job done.

And you're in Miami which is hot starting in May.

Any white Georgian wine is good imo. I love the taste, as long as it isn't as sweet as rose.

I would be careful about what I believe when it comes to doctors interpreting empirical data. The fact is, the doctors he mentions in the article, who are not convinced that the correlation between moderate drinking and longer lifespan is a causal one, are right to be skeptical. It may very well be that drinking in moderation does decrease the chance of heart disease. But so far all we have is correlation, not causation. It is equally viable that there is some other causal factor, not necessarily health related, may be why those people don’t drink at all, and also why they tend to die younger. Doctors often jump to conclusions when it comes to empirical data and correlation.

Remember how they claimed those who drank red wine were more likely to live longer than those who drank other forms of alcohol? And everyone started saying “drink two glasses of red wine every night because it helps prevent this or that”? Well, it turns out that maybe those who drank red wine were more likely than those who drank hard liquor or beer to have the money to afford better food, health insurance, healthier lifestyles, etc. In fact, it is very likely that those are the causal factors in the longer lifespans of red wine drinkers. They got egg on their face for that one. And here is another doctor using the same flawed logic to say drinking in moderation is good for you. It may be. But there is a pretty good chance it isn’t.

I'm personally pleased with the findings. I'll continue to drink moderately for health reasons. Yes, the studies mentioned are often associations, and that is mentioned through out the article as with the possibility that alcohol's findings could be connected to positives seen with social interaction. The one bit that I enjoyed in the article personally was the write up on coagulation and fibrinolytic factors, or blood clotting. The study article referred to in the article ~

The effects of alcohol on coagulation and fibrinolytic factors: a controlled trial.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9607117

...The substantial reduction in plasma fibrinogen with alcohol intake may well contribute to the apparent protection alcohol confers against ischaemic coronary and cerebral events. The increase in factor VII and relatively greater increase in PAI-1 than tPA with alcohol intake may attenuate this benefit and indeed may sufficiently predispose individuals to thrombosis to contribute to the increased incidence of ischaemic stroke seen in heavier drinkers. The balance of anticoagulant and procoagulant and fibrinolytic effects in any individual may vary depending on quantity and type of alcoholic beverage ingested, as well as on genetic and other variables, all of which merit further study.

I'm personally pleased with the findings. I'll continue to drink moderately for health reasons. Yes, the studies mentioned are often associations, and that is mentioned through out the article as with the possibility that alcohol's findings could be connected to positives seen with social interaction. The one bit that I enjoyed in the article personally was the write up on coagulation and fibrinolytic factors, or blood clotting. The study article referred to in the article ~

The effects of alcohol on coagulation and fibrinolytic factors: a controlled trial.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9607117

...The substantial reduction in plasma fibrinogen with alcohol intake may well contribute to the apparent protection alcohol confers against ischaemic coronary and cerebral events. The increase in factor VII and relatively greater increase in PAI-1 than tPA with alcohol intake may attenuate this benefit and indeed may sufficiently predispose individuals to thrombosis to contribute to the increased incidence of ischaemic stroke seen in heavier drinkers. The balance of anticoagulant and procoagulant and fibrinolytic effects in any individual may vary depending on quantity and type of alcoholic beverage ingested, as well as on genetic and other variables, all of which merit further study.

Well, I love drinking. So i’ll Take it. But I just don’t put much faith in medical doctors’ interpretations of statistics. When it comes to the actual observable biological effects, i’m just way out of my depth, so I defer to their judgement.

Well, I love drinking. So i’ll Take it. But I just don’t put much faith in medical doctors’ interpretations of statistics. When it comes to the actual observable biological effects, i’m just way out of my depth, so I defer to their judgement.
I'm.comfortable with the health benefits of drinking moderately.

I've read enough from places like Harvard med and Mayo clinic and so many more that speak to the benefits that I'm sold. All the.cautions come from over consumption or religious beliefs that tried to taint things like alcohol and dancing because they may lead to uninhibited premarital sex.

We all know too much consumption of anything including water is not healthy. So we don't need every statement about alcohol tied to that caution. Ok, at least I.don't.

Found a nice and cheap Bordeaux Rose at Trader Joe's
<DCWhoa>
bordeaux-rose-450x600.jpg

It's really refreshing and perfect for after a day out in the sun

I'm the only 1 to go with shiraz? Boo. Dry, so you can really taste the different flavors. Good w/ dark meat/cuts or alone. I had started a little collection about 10 years ago, but honestly, I kind of hate the thought of drinking the higher rated ones.

Not a wine connoisseur by any means, but I do enjoy a merlot with a steak and some roast veges.

Nothing too fancy, usually look for something from Hawkes Bay in our lovely NZ.

Back