What is your favorite brand of tool? (Blue collar brahs gtfih)

Dont get DeWalt if you dont know their inventory well. They have a broad catalog with varying degrees of quality from premium to trash. You cant go wrong with Makita or Milwaukee.
makita is way overpriced for what it is
milwaukee is good but ive had battery and dead motor issues

dewalt xr brushless is the way to go

Ridgid isnt affiliated with B&D, that's dewalt.
you are right
rigid is the home depot house brand and its parent company is emerson (like the shitty radios and cd players emerson)
im on a few tool forums and i hear nothing but horror stories about their "lifetime" guarantee

pick either milwaukee brushless or dewat brushless and stick with one..
that way you can swap batteries with other tools down the road etc
dewalt is cheaper usually and fathers day sales are great
check out toolguyd http://toolguyd.com/
and tools in action they have a youtube review channel and good forums with lots of members that can give advice
http://toolsinaction.com/

Nope. Unless that was said of Dewalts old 18V stuff. Wasn't a fan of that line.

My work just bought a top of the line few hundred dollar brushless DeWalt drill and it's twice as loud and clanky as my little Makita. I also used to detail cars and switching from DeWalt to Makita buffers was a godsend for everyone's ears and our bones. DeWalt's work just fine but they are heavier, louder and clanky as hell in comparison.

My only complaint with Makita is with their electrical cords. They use a soft SOW type cord that can fray and cause an open or short if you don't store them correctly. You can't wrap them tightly around the tool when storing them. DeWalt and other brands use less pliable electrical cords that will hold up to a lot more abuse.

My work just bought a top of the line few hundred dollar brushless DeWalt drill and it's twice as loud and clanky as my little Makita. I also used to detail cars and switching from DeWalt to Makita buffers was a godsend for everyone's ears and our bones. DeWalt's work just fine but they are heavier, louder and clanky as hell in comparison.

My only complaint with Makita is with their electrical cords. They use a soft SOW type cord that can fray and cause an open or short if you don't store them correctly. You can't wrap them tightly around the tool when storing them. DeWalt and other brands use less pliable electrical cords that will hold up to a lot more abuse.
I'm not knocking Makita as they make decent tools. They're the go to as far as angle grinders go. My comment was for cordless stuff. As far as corded drills go, whether it's hole hawgs, angle drills, or regular ones I've always bought Milwaukee. But I'm sure they've been bought out and are manufactured by someone else now.

Most brands have their strong and weak products. I have a bunch of Ridgid hand tools, but wouldn't buy any of their cordless tools.

Lol, didn't know that was the Emerson radio company. Thosr def. were shitty
you are right
rigid is the home depot house brand and its parent company is emerson (like the shitty radios and cd players emerson)
im on a few tool forums and i hear nothing but horror stories about their "lifetime" guarantee

pick either milwaukee brushless or dewat brushless and stick with one..
that way you can swap batteries with other tools down the road etc
dewalt is cheaper usually and fathers day sales are great
check out toolguyd http://toolguyd.com/
and tools in action they have a youtube review channel and good forums with lots of members that can give advice
http://toolsinaction.com/

Craftsman for hand tools. Milwaukee for power. Ingersoll Rand for air tools.

@Clippy is my favorite tool

You could get a lot of stuff way cheaper off Amazon btw.
For screwdrivers I like husky or craftsman, the regular ones are slotted and grip a million times better than non slotted. Once you use them you'll never go back.
Channel lock makes awesome pliers, they have anice 6 piece set.
All my power tools are dewalt, I'm sure you can find better, but for the money.....
Another piece of advice-get a set of harbor freight pliers, sctewdrivers, wtenches, etc.
Use those when doing something that requires abusing your tools, like prying on something with a svrewdriver, using it as a chisel, having to grind down a wrench to fit in a tight area, etc.
Only use the good tools for their intended use.
Heading to home depot right now to buy a bunch of tools because I don't really have any.

Hilti

9114080772126.jpg
only pussys use non pneumatic breakers and no matter what they say no electric one will out do air.

ridgid is black and decker with a diff name
same owners
crap tools
horrible customer service
i only buy dewalt and bosch tools
and wera kraftform screwdrivers
my kraftform kompact set never leaves my side most days

Thanks for sharing. I just ordered one.

Last edited:
DeWalt is the standard answer.

I was told Rigid is Home Depots company line, and their battery replacement policy is top notch.

I was also told DeWalt, Porter and Cable, and Black and Decker are all essentially made by the same company.

I personally have Porter and Cable. Take what was said to me with a grain of salt.
This is all true

And I remember about 10 years ago Ryobi bought Milwaukee

it's all crap.
rechargeable is garbage.
18 volt batteries wear out and won't hold a charge,
they deliver less power.
for outdoor work, go gas operated all the way.
for power tools, go electric.
buy a heavy duty extension cord.

In all honestly, it really depends on your usage. For most people that use various tools around the house and maybe do simple DIY stuff the top brands is just overkill. Unless it's something you use constantly for work or some type of enthusiast that require constant use of good tools I would just choose something on the cheaper side.

I personally use the Ryobi One+ system for a lot of my tools. It's more than enough for my usage. I even have a bunch of cheap stuff from harbor freight.

Metabo is the brand.
Still German made

Never understood the obsession some guys put into having the best and most expensive of every tool. The same guys that buy those obscene massive stainless tool boxes so they can show off tools that hardly every get used.

I'm 34 and have been around tools of one kind or another since I was 10. My dad was a Craftsman guy but I have had exposure to Snap-On tools over the years. Honestly can't see much of a difference in value despite the ridiculous mark-up in price.

Looking to start my own motorcycle shop one day, purchasing tools is something I give a lot of thought to. Being a firm believer in buying nice things that will last me longer, one part of me leans toward buying the best of each tool as I need it. But I ended up going a different route; I buy the best tool for what I need it to do.

If it's a tool where precision or accuracy is crucial, or will see a lot of use, I will spend the money on a quality tool. Something that will get used only one time, or very rarely at all I generally go cheaper on.

Tools are a means to an end. A means to build things and fix things. They aren't a finish line, a goal in and of themselves. Having a huge stainless Snap-On toolbox full of shiny, matching Snap-On tools doesn't mean shit if you have nothing to use them on because you blew all your money buying the fucking tools in the first place.

it's all crap.
rechargeable is garbage.
18 volt batteries wear out and won't hold a charge,
they deliver less power.
for outdoor work, go gas operated all the way.
for power tools, go electric.
buy a heavy duty extension cord.
Who wants to be lugging power leads around

Back