What is Trip-Hop?

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've heard Portishead and I like the song "Glory Box" but I'm wondering what makes that song "Trip-Hop" as opposed to just being very sultry, sexy rock music?

Since I like Portishead and especially "Glory Box" could any of you suggest some other bands I might like that also have very sultry songs?

I don't listen to a lot of trip-hop, so here's a few groups I know of:

A lot of female singers have sultry voices. Here's some:

Shivaree

Mazzy Star

Sade

Cat Power

The Sundays

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Fleetwood Mac

Fiona Apple

Erykah Badu

The Bangles

When you slap a drum machine on a track, slow down the beat to 80-100 bpm and have a ominous and organic bass sound. (think ''Angel'' by Massive Attack, the quintessential trip hop track)

Ulver - ''Perdition City'' is a good trip-hop album.

Last edited:
It's just a genre that was invented by lazy journalists to describe singing over jazzy hip hop beats. Massive Attack are probably the best out of all of them.

Ninja Tune was a record label dedicated to trip hop so that's probably the best place to start.

When dem fools be trippin', but still want to talk over a bass track.

"Ya'll muthfucka's tripping, but that's some sick hop"

"Bitch dats Trip Hop"

"Oh word?"

This is one of the only trip hop bands I know.

I've heard Portishead and I like the song "Glory Box" but I'm wondering what makes that song "Trip-Hop" as opposed to just being very sultry, sexy rock music?

Since I like Portishead and especially "Glory Box" could any of you suggest some other bands I might like that also have very sultry songs?

I don't listen to a lot of trip-hop, so here's a few groups I know of:

A lot of female singers have sultry voices. Here's some:

Shivaree

Mazzy Star

Sade

Cat Power

The Sundays

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Fleetwood Mac

Fiona Apple

Erykah Badu

The Bangles

Sneaker Pimps are the shit. Them, Portishead, and Massive Attack define the genre for me. Great music.

This is the most sex song ever created btw:

You can't go wrong with Portishead and Massive attack regarding 90's trip hop, they definitely set the pace.

These are other bands that were classed as trip hop at the time but could easily fall under other genres today. Unkle and Leftfield did some really good albums.

Portishead and Seaker Pimps (early stuff) are really the best ones. It's a really cool idea and style of music, but not many were able to do it well.

Portisheads 1st two albums are masterpieces imo tho. And Sneaker Pimps 1st album is way up there too.

Massive Attack is hit or miss with only a handful of decent tunes imo

Lebanese Blonde.

Look it up.

Thievery Corporation defines the genre for me.

It's the album with the stag beetle and the House theme song lol

Shame on y'all for talking trip hop and not mentioning Morcheeba.

Except SenorFranko, he gets it

Its name was mentioned but it wasn't posted so I'll do the honors. Mezzanine was my album back in the late 90s.

This is great album that is worth a listen. Roots/Dub producer Mad Professor remixes Massive Attacks 2nd album Protection. He mixes in a lot of trippy dub effects while staying true to the moody Trip Hop sound.

Back