What is The x-factor of Colby’s heel shtick?

He's just more annoying than he is 'bad'...

A good heel still has charisma and makes you like them; despite them being a scum bag. (Conor worked that angel perfectly to get where he is)

Everything from language to acts is so pathetically juvenile and classless that it's more cringey to watch happen then exciting...and seems put on thick and looks unnatural.

As well, he's not decimating guys in the cage...he's very very good, but he doesn't have a finish in 2 years,... the bigger your story the badder a man you have to be to claim that place; and for the main stay of the public watching - that means knocking people out....for better or worse of the sport, that IS what the majority tuned in wants to see...

You cant be a gangster and tattle...I think if he started smashing everyone 1-2 round, maybe dialed it back a notch people might forget how obnoxious he was being...but that said, it's worked, he is far more popular now than when he started really selling this 'asshole to all' character.

See how the RDA fight goes...

That’s the thing, it’s pretty obvious he doesn’t take the persona serious.

He went full high school jock and it’s cartoonish. He’s doing it strictly to get under people’s skin and the mma world is noticing him, no?
He literally called the police and pressed charges against Werdum? That's pretty serious. He seems to have no idea where the line is between Persona and simply being a truly douchey person. I don't think its an act TBH. Chael is a Persona while Colby seems to be an actual douche. Colby is simply a symptom of what is wrong with the UFC IMO. Stars used to be made in the Octagon and not on the microphone of Social Media. Matt Hughes being nearly finished by Trigg and somehow surviving a RNC only to pick up Trigg slam him thru the mat and choke him out said a lot more to me then Colby tweeting spoilers of movies and not having more then 1 top 10 win to get a title shot.

I think he's making fun of the heel character/trash talking fighters. Making fun of Chael and Connor in a SNL/Mad TV sort of way. If he's not he should. I want to believe he's trolling

I really don’t understand why this guy is such a polarizing figure. Lol

He picked up on a great technique Chael used- insult the Brazilians no matter how outrageous
Then he bolstered himself and starting let go on non-brazilians.
I don't think he'll ever be as well-spoken as Chael.. but he picked up some tips for sure

Fortuitous circumstances. There are such a large number of fighters and events that it's easy to forget guys unless you see or hear from them a lot. Most guys aren't really that starved for the attention/willing to stoop to seeking out the troll market. UFCs bankable stars are either all gone or on hiatus. He is really the only mouth running at the moment and so anything provocative that he says gets the attention.

What is the x-factor of Colby that upsets sherdog so much?

What is it about nerdbash2018 that strikes a nerve with so many guys here ?

Lot of nerds on here i guess.

If he can keep at it improve his mouth all while getting some wins along the way he will be alright. He needs to come into his own and appear more natural and authentic.

Well it has never been easier to piss people off than it is in 2018.

trying to hard,has no charisma,and basically has yet to fight since starting all of this nonsense. So he hasnt proven himself since the Maia fight. I agree with bashing the brazilian crowds,they deserve it. But he is trying way too hard to keep the thing going.

How is he trying too hard if that hard trying is actually rubbing people the wrong way and that is what he is trying to achieve?

What is the x-factor of Colby that upsets sherdog so much?

What is it about nerdbash2018 that strikes a nerve with so many guys here ?
I think it's hilarious tbat people like you who support something so childish don't get you are the nerd he's bashing in real life. His wwe gimmick is pretty bad. Acting classes would do him wonder. If your going to read a script as your gimmick atleast do it well

That’s the thing, it’s pretty obvious he doesn’t take the persona serious.

He went full high school jock and it’s cartoonish. He’s doing it strictly to get under people’s skin and the mma world is noticing him, no?
I don't think he's purposely botching it. I think he's really just a bad actor. It's gradually getting better. More practice at anything and you'll get better tho. I think he needs some acting classes. Right now for the average adult fan it's just a bit cringy to watch.

I think it's hilarious tbat people like you who support something so childish don't get you are the nerd he's bashing in real life. His wwe gimmick is pretty bad. Acting classes would do him wonder. If your going to read a script as your gimmick atleast do it well
So you’re the one who’s upset, but he’s nerdbashing me for laughing at his act and you? That makes no sense man

Last edited:
Huge lack of charisma and you can tell how pre planned his lines are.

Tries way too hard to call people son or junior. When he got son'd by Warley Alves <45>

I say let it continue though, creates some interest in fights and will be great when he gets humbled again

So you’re the one who’s upset, but he’s nerdbashing me for laughing at his act and you? That makes no sense man
I'm not upset I'm pointing out something hilariously obvious. You consistently make threads about this. Literally almost everyday. If you can't see how you are the nerd virgin he makes fun of in real life there's honestly no helping you

I don't follow MMA media closely enough to know, but is there an example of a fighter currently doing a similar schtick that isn't working or is everyone doing it these days?

I'm not upset I'm pointing out something hilariously obvious. You consistently make threads about this. Literally almost everyday. If you can't see how you are the nerd virgin he makes fun of in real life there's honestly no helping you
I don’t make threads “literally almost everyday” though.

You’re upset, and you’re reaching because of that. It’s just an innocent heel act. Don’t let it upset you.

Colby's antics will only continue if Dean Lewsey let's it continue.

Back