What Is The Sugar Hold?

Well whatever it is it sounds pretty sweet.

It's what happens after I eat about 10 donuts. My ass is glued to the chair.

8cbccb302d367391940c0b153ad5868c.png

Ole Anderson, booker and part owner of Georgia Championship Wrestling, wrote in his autobiography that his tag team partner Gene, was responsible for setting up tryouts for the "marks" that wanted to become pro wrestlers, in the early 80s. They found a way to make some money off them while also protecting the business from people who didn't be believe it was real.

Gene would get $300 or $400 from each of them. Ole writes that he was in charge of getting in the ring with them, and giving them tryouts. There would be maybe a dozen guys scheduled so they had over $4,000 collected. Ole would get the first guy in the ring while Gene would take the other 11 to the back end of the building."the hold i used most often against the marks was the sugar hold. It's a terrible hold. It works all the time. The hold, which is like a reverse half nelson, is applied from behind. You raise both arms of your opponent overhead, with your arms wrapping around them from the outside and your hands placed behind their head. You crank their head forward and and roll your weight onto their back and arms, shutting off their air supply. The blood pressure in the head shoots up sp high tat it will usually cause the blood vessels in the eyes to rupture. One of the side effects of the sugar is the victims often pissed or crapped in their pants." They panicked and thought they'd suffocate, not knowing that Ole would bring them just to the point of passing out, ease back a little, and then re-apply force.

The description of the Sugar Hold in that thread is not correct. Not even close. The correct position for a Sugar Hold would start with you laying on your side on the mat. The wrestler (in my situation it was Bob Roop) would lay his chest on the back of your ribs, reaching forward wrapping one arm around your head (in front of your arms) and placing the other arm between your legs at the knee level. The hand between the legs is to keep you in a stationary position and unable to use them while your head is being compressed into your chest like a can opener.

If you watch the video in this thread with Bob and that mark he is working over, the demo of the Sugar Hold is between the 10 and 30 second mark. He let him out of it fortunately for that victim.

Regards,

William Harding

I always thought it was one of Sugarman's finishing moves.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back