What is the percentage of UFC fighters that walk away from MMA with savings?

Winners should make decent money, specially if they get a bonus from time to time, very few make "Anderson Silva money" tho.

Last edited:
If you are not the top 1%, you are essentially paying the UFC and your camp to fight. LOL

If you are making 10/10K, you need to fight and win 4 times in a year to gross 80K. Once Uncle Sam takes his share, and you pay your camp, your living expenses and etc, you have nothing.

Plus, the UFC doesn't have any health coverage. People who say "I am fighting for my family" are idiots. I make way more than that as a nurse, and all I have to do is work 3 days (12 hrs) per week. Now that I have more than 5 years experience, the job is so easy, I feel like I am getting free money. LOL

Stay in school kids, it is the easiest way to make it in Western countries. Especially nursing. It is free money when you are a big strong guy. LOL

The ones that make the top 5 and don't buy a ton of cars.

Otherwise you need to learn to maximize your brand value like Ben Askren and use your short term biggish paychecks to invest it wisely like he has with his wrestling academies that will print money for him for decades after fighting.
Could you go into further detail about his investments? I'm actually quite interested.

Premiere+Warner+Bros+Pictures+War+Dogs+Arrivals+DQ62z4KiA1Pl.jpg

The ones who I trained with who made it to the big stage (one of which is still under contract and is a relative well known), didn't earn much outside of what you'd get working full-time at McDonalds for 3 months after paying for coaches and what not.

The fighters who pull $50k+ a fight can make enough to put some coin away in the bank, but they are certainly the minority. Then you have to assume that they don't get injured and can fight 3x a year, and they can at least stay under contract for 5 years. Even those guys need a plan B.

Look at Condit - he has to come back to fight because he can't afford to retire, and he's been a top 10 fighter his whole career, fought for the WW crown twice...and he couldn't last a year with his savings.

The ones who I trained with who made it to the big stage (one of which is still under contract and is a relative well known), didn't earn much outside of what you'd get working full-time at McDonalds for 3 months after paying for coaches and what not.

The fighters who pull $50k+ a fight can make enough to put some coin away in the bank, but they are certainly the minority. Then you have to assume that they don't get injured and can fight 3x a year, and they can at least stay under contract for 5 years. Even those guys need a plan B.

Look at Condit - he has to come back to fight because he can't afford to retire, and he's been a top 10 fighter his whole career, fought for the WW crown twice...and he couldn't last a year with his savings.
Condit has made almost 2 mil in career earnings not including ppv points or bonuses. He is doing something wrong if he has no savings. Not to mention his dad is well off.

Could you go into further detail about his investments? I'm actually quite interested.

https://awawisconsin.com is the website for his gyms. They are the top year round training gyms in wisconsin for kids all the way through high school to train year round (typically more in the olympic styles from March-July and the American style of Folk from August-March). It cost about 500 dollars a kid per every three months if they want full time access.

He has 3 nice looking gyms that run these classes year round. His brother Max helps out a lot too beings Ben is distracted with fighting some.

In addition he has dvd tutorials and runs short camps across the Midwest for cash. The camp scene is good money.

Outside of wrestling alone he has got himself a role with www.flosports.com plus some sort of executive position with ONE post retirement.

https://awawisconsin.com is the website for his gyms. They are the top year round training gyms in wisconsin for kids all the way through high school to train year round (typically more in the olympic styles from March-July and the American style of Folk from August-March). It cost about 500 dollars a kid per every three months if they want full time access.

He has 3 nice looking gyms that run these classes year round. His brother Max helps out a lot too beings Ben is distracted with fighting some.

In addition he has dvd tutorials and runs short camps across the Midwest for cash. The camp scene is good money.

Outside of wrestling alone he has got himself a role with www.flosports.com plus some sort of executive position with ONE post retirement.
Smart man and thank you btw

How many UFC fighters lets say are able to buy a house and saved money with their UFC career earnings + sponsorship?

The problem with your question is that nobody on Sherdog could possibly have the answer. Obviously McGregor, GSP, Rousey etc., are extremely wealthy. But for guys like Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch, Thiago Alves, Stephen Bonnar, BigFoot Silva, and similar fighters there is no way to know how much they actually earned, and how much they paid their gyms/training camps to get them to the fights. Wanderlei Silva is great example. Dana White claims he paid him 9.7 million for 9 fights. Even after paying the extremely high costs necessary to get to the fight, that's still a ton of money. But is Dana telling the truth? Is Silva an outlier because of his success in Pride or is his pay consistent with other fighters? We have no way of knowing.

If you are not the top 1%, you are essentially paying the UFC and your camp to fight. LOL

If you are making 10/10K, you need to fight and win 4 times in a year to gross 80K. Once Uncle Sam takes his share, and you pay your camp, your living expenses and etc, you have nothing.

Plus, the UFC doesn't have any health coverage. People who say "I am fighting for my family" are idiots. I make way more than that as a nurse, and all I have to do is work 3 days (12 hrs) per week. Now that I have more than 5 years experience, the job is so easy, I feel like I am getting free money. LOL

Stay in school kids, it is the easiest way to make it in Western countries. Especially nursing. It is free money when you are a big strong guy. LOL

Welfare state!!! Unions will kill this country!! Fuckingg overpaid non productive bastards. You ar worse than the people on food stamps!You are welcome!

Condit has made almost 2 mil in career earnings not including ppv points or bonuses. He is doing something wrong if he has no savings. Not to mention his dad is well off.

Got a source on that 2 mil? Not doubting you...but take into account that's over a career. A long career. And let's say he lost 40% of that to tax and coaches, which is probably accurate. So 1.2mil over, say, 12 years. That's $100k a year.

If his wife isn't working and he has a bunch of kids, that's just living a comfortable middle class life from where I'm from.

Got a source on that 2 mil? Not doubting you...but take into account that's over a career. A long career. And let's say he lost 40% of that to tax and coaches, which is probably accurate. So 1.2mil over, say, 12 years. That's $100k a year.

If his wife isn't working and he has a bunch of kids, that's just living a comfortable middle class life from where I'm from.
Just google. And the bulk coming later in his career. That's not including 5 fight of the nights 2 ko of the night with the UFC. If he has no savings he made an error somewhere big time.
Edit: making 600k in DISCLOSED pay since 2015. Made 400k disclosed just from lawler.

Last edited:
Just google. And the bulk coming later in his career. That's not including 5 fight of the nights 2 ko of the night with the UFC. If he has no savings he made an error somewhere big time.
Edit: making 600k in DISCLOSED pay since 2015. Made 400k disclosed just from lawler.
Yeah, for sure he made blew some money, but he wouldn't be the first high profile sportsman to blow big paycheques like they are going to be earning that money forever.

See any football player or rapper.

They are overpaid as far as I am concerned. Back in the day guys fought 4 times a day for a pay now they do like 1 or 2x a year. Comfortable.

As a fan of fighting I dont like new pay scale. I want hungry - over the barrel - gotta make rent. = more fights.

Yeah, for sure he made blew some money, but he wouldn't be the first high profile sportsman to blow big paycheques like they are going to be earning that money forever.

See any football player or rapper.
He is pushing a coffee/tea??? brand can't recall the name. Supposed to be "artisan" cost money to upstart an endeavor like that so who knows. Selfishly I'm glad he coming back.

Your av is too hilarious.

Last edited:
I dont know but fighters like Mark Kerr, Coleman, Frank Shamrock, Ken Shamrock etc aren't doing too well..

Plus UFC/MMA has only been around for like 20 years so I guess we'll find out in 10 to 30 years from now.

But I don't think most fighters will be earning enough money, have fought long enough and are financially responsible enough to use their money to last for the rest of their lives.

I think fighters like Mark Hunt, Werdum, Bisping, GSP, Ronda, Conor, Overeem, Vitor, Rampage, Anderson Silva have made enough coin to last them a while.

Back