What is the optimal way to keep spinach from spoiling so fast?

questforfire

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shit just seems to turn dark and disgusting after about 3 days of opening a bag.

Right now I am just sealing off the bag after I open it and sticking it back in the fridge.... i'm thinking of laying it out on wrap.....wrapping it up, then sticking it in a plastic container just to see what happens.

Any tips? Or does spinach just have a really bad shelf/fridge life?

I have the same trouble, I think it's just one of those things. I try to eat the whole bag quickly!

1. Empty spinach into a large ziplock bag.
2. Partially zip bag.
3. Smash all the air out of the bag.
4. Zip bag the rest of the way.
5. Place bag in refridgerator.

Repeat steps 2-5 every time you open the bag.

Viola, fresh spinach.

That sounds a good tip. I just eat as much raw for a couple days as I can.. When I get to 3-4 days out I wilt it with whatever dinner.

2. Partially zip bag.

Viola, fresh spinach.

Niiiiiiiiice. I've tried using plastic clamps, complex orgami-like folding patterns, and even paper clips to no avail. And I have a box of extra-large ziplocks 2 feet from the fridge. Duh.

0. Wash the spinach with cold water, dry in a salad spinner
2. Partially zip bag.

Viola, fresh spinach.

Fixed you dirty bastards. E.Coli is *not* your friend.

man, my latest bag of spinach was contaminated with a very large beetle of exotic origins, i was pissed! friggin Sobeys!

I really need to wash my spinach.. I eat like 2-3 bags a week and never clean it. Im playing ecoli roullete.

man, my latest bag of spinach was contaminated with a very large beetle of exotic origins, i was pissed! friggin Sobeys!

That's fucked up! What brand was it? I buy the "Popeye's" brand, triple-washed.

Fixed you dirty bastards. E.Coli is *not* your friend.

PHAIL!!!!

There are two things you want to keep out of the bag; moisture and air. Doing so will keep your spinach from getting all yuckified. Clearly, the best course of action is to wash the spinach AS YOU USE IT. That way, you won't be introducing soggyness into the ziplock bag.

*does cabbage patch*

PHAIL!!!!

There are two things you want to keep out of the bag; moisture and air. Doing so will keep your spinach from getting all yuckified. Clearly, the best course of action is to wash the spinach AS YOU USE IT. That way, you won't be introducing soggyness into the ziplock bag.

*does cabbage patch*

yes, wash greens immediately before use. I have also found the pyrex works even better than ziplock bags. And if you must store it after washing, place a paper towel on the bottom and top to wick away an excess moisture. just don't forget to remove it before you eat.

yea, i use bacons version with a zip lock freezer bag. i dont put it in the freezer though.

PHAIL!!!!

*does cabbage patch*

Salad spinners > you

Who says I don't wash it before I eat it? I'm seriously OCD.

Does anyone else eat frozen chopped spinach? Or are you guys talking about eating it raw?

I keep a paper towel over the spinach if it's in a bag or plastic container, it seems to help somewhat.

I keep it from spoiling so fast by eating it faster than it spoils.

PHAIL!!!!

*does cabbage patch*

Also, washing it doesn't remove all the bacteria, so washing it then storing it allows bacteria to grow whereas washing then consuming does not. The idea is to not ingest a large concentration of bacteria. At least not of bad bacteria (pathogenic). Think yogurt (large concentration of helpful bacteria).

I'm considering eating the whole bag the day I get it and get spinach 3x a week.

I'm considering eating the whole bag the day I get it and get spinach 3x a week.

That's what the guys at work do. I buy the big boxes of it so I can't but ya, a whole bag as a meal with a little protein mixed in wouldn't be bad. Protein as in meat or shake, w/e.

I worked in the produce biz for 7 years. Spinache is just one of those things that goes bad REALLY fast. Rather than buying it the North American way (we stockpile LOTS of groceries in the hopes of being equipped for X period of time), buy it the old world way; just drop by a grocery store or market the day you need it and assume it will last you no more than 2 days. Same goes for been sprouts. Those fuckers spoil faster than a Hilton.

Back