What is the most important issue facing your community?

Eh, none really

95% white neighbours problems

In the small town I live in it's ongoing problems with meth and now the heroin epidemic. Just had a shooting a couple months ago that was related to the meth trade. When I was working in mental health, all of my clients who were kids had parents who were users. It's pretty bad.

Welfare. We have insanely high rent, electricity is more than double the next most expensive state, really high state taxes, state minimum wage is more that $2/hour over the federal wage, yet somehow everyone here is poor as shit and has like 5 kids. Also an entire island full of Asian drivers make this places a demolition derby.

Those gat damn ultra wealthy Chinese dumping money into housing here driving up the cost. I recently read that the average price for a detached home here is 1.6 million.

The mayor and city counsel looking to piss away millions on convention centers and a new library.

We have a city of 70k, regional population of 350k and they are trying to spend 15 million on a downtown convention center. The one built 15 miles south of here in Oshkosh is a complete fucking failure and these idiots think this will be worth it.

They also tried to spend 35 million on a new library. Half of the cost was to buy a very large beautiful 100 year old Methodist church on the river front, tear it down and put up a new building. Their main gripe about the current one is that it is next to the main bus stop and too many poor people congregate as the library because of it.

Bunch of over spending cunts.

As a bonus ,the police department wants to spend 3 million to install bullet proof 1 way glass on their car park. They state that there is sthreat of sniper fire from downtown because they are militarized cowards.

In the small town I live in it's ongoing problems with meth and now the heroin epidemic. Just had a shooting a couple months ago that was related to the meth trade. When I was working in mental health, all of my clients who were kids had parents who were users. It's pretty bad.
I lived in Ft Dodge, IA as a kid. You couldn't throw a rock without hitting s tweaker in that city. I can appreciate the hell they turns a city into.

I live in one of the fastest growing cities in the US (I'll throw a like your way if you can guess which one), and around here the hot topic is development. Rents have been steadily increasing since the 2000's, but local politics make expanding the housing supply tricky - the issue comes at an intersection of working class people resisting gentrification, established residents protecting their property values, and transplants looking for cheaper housing. No matter what the city decides to do, it seems like one of these groups always loses out in the end.

(Personally, I am in favor of expanding the housing supply; you can't necessarily stop rents from increasing, but we can slow down the rate at which rents increase by building more units. Deciding where is the tricky part.)

What issue is your community facing? What is your opinion on it? Let's get it sorted!

Are you in Houston?

I in NYC metro, and it is rising housing costs, hipsters, yuppies, SJWs, liberals taking over NYC.

NYC along with LA is probably SJW Lib HQ.

Are you in Houston?

I in NYC metro, and it is rising housing costs, hipsters, yuppies, SJWs, liberals taking over NYC.

That would be San Francisco.

I lived in Ft Dodge, IA as a kid. You couldn't throw a rock without hitting s tweaker in that city. I can appreciate the hell they turns a city into.
I live just across the border in southern Minnesota, but I went to Iowa State so not too far from Ft. Dodge. It's really bad in this part of the country. Something has to be done about the homegrown meth. It seems to be everywhere and absolutely ruins communities.

I live just across the border in southern Minnesota, but I went to Iowa State so not too far from Ft. Dodge. It's really bad in this part of the country. Something has to be done about the homegrown meth. It seems to be everywhere and absolutely ruins communities.
when I left in 2000 people were installing steel cages around their ac units so tweakers couldn't steal the Freon anymore.

The Montana meth project is a great starting point for education to reduce first time usage. Treatment options to get people off the shit and jobs to keep them from wanting it are the next parts.

-traffic
-high rent relative to wages (which leads to more traffic since people live outside the area and commute in)

i live in orange county CA btw

according the the OC register, you need to make 6 figures to pay rent and live comfortably here. so people buy cheap houses and commute from the inland empire. our county population is roughly 3 million, but roughly 800k-1m people commute into the county everyday, clogging up our freeways and roads

im not complaining that poor people have to live far away in their own squalor, just annoyed by the traffic it brings
My dude, you need to get on this: https://www.google.com/amp/www.ocre...-to-recall-orange-county-sen-josh-newman/amp/

In fact, everyone in California and the U.S. does. I don't care if you're a democrat or republican, this shit is gross.

Property taxes are far too low right now and no ones trying to raise it because of how unpopular it is. But it's sorely needed.

At some point I heard that we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in the country. My guess is that's because we're a rural and religious community that promotes abstinence as the correct form of birth control. I wish more people would just get on board with condoms, kids are gonna fuck regardless.

Outside of that, maybe that the largest employer in the area is the school district followed by the hospital. There's just not much here.

Are you in Houston?

I live out on the Island but I have a few friends who grew up and live in the city and they tell me ever since hipsters took over and brought their fixed bikes, crappy beer and artisanal donuts the price of rent has skyrocketed and its becoming harder and harder for them to make ends meet. I'm a pretty left wing as they come but shit like this pisses me off. I also read recently of this I think it was a bakery that's been in business in the city for over 30 years and because of the influx of trust fund kids and hipsters their rent skyrocketed and they said they will need to close their doors soon. I'll try to find the article on it. I've also seen news stories and read articles on other businesses being forced to close because they can't keep up with the rent prices. I just hope Saint Vitus bar in Brooklyn doesn't go under (I've seen some of the best metal shows there). I doubt that place will but you never know

As per where I live one of the bigger health issues is the opioid problem we are having here on the Island and especially that of heroin recently becoming a problem and is verging on an epidemic in some areas. Another problem too is since heroin use has spiked among teenagers and young adults fentanyl has reared its ugly head. Fentanyl last year killed at least 220 people here. Now you have Fentanyl laced Heroin making the rounds out here. I myself am a recovering heroin and opioid addict and when I was knee deep in using there really wasn't that much of a problem here. This was around 2006-2008 and the biggest issue was pill abuse. That changed though when it became very hard for folks to be able to doctor shop and many doctors leery about giving out subscriptions for opioid pain killers and the fact that pain pills on the street starting costing more than heroin itself which I believe led to many a person switching to using heroin outright. I'm 33 now and for me it all began when I was 15 and an older friend offered to give me heroin and usually when you start out using it, it is either via smoking or sniffing it. Wasn't the case for me. I was given it via IV at the persons house back sometime in 1998. It all lasted 10 years with countless ER visits, psych ward stays, inpatient and outpatient rehab and three major overdoses., It is all behind me and I'm grateful for being able to say that. Can't say the same for a few friends who unlike myself ended up becoming addicted to the shit recently. I just fucking hate the fact that some dealers are lacing heroin with Fentanyl here on Long Island and that junkies are seeking it out. As sick as it sounds a lot of junkies when they read news stories or know someone else who has overdosed or died from the Fentanyl laced Heroin here they seek it out. See when I was using Fentanyl was rare and Fentanyl laced heroin was even rarer. Now its pretty damn common.

One issue related directly to the town I live in has to deal with a Getty gas station on one of the main roads. A good 7 or so years ago the place caught fire and the inside was totally ruined, luckily the gas pumps didn't catch fire. The derelict building just sits there and hasn't been touched since outside of someone putting a chain linked fence around it with a sign stating closed for renovations which was put up like a month afterwards. I wonder who owns it now because they should just demolish the building and put something up in its place.

Another issue that I've been dealing with is the Tackapausha preserve here.

2826870.jpg

This is a photo of part of the preserve awhile back. I ended up going for an afternoon walk in it last week and its disgusting how the place looks. Trash everywhere and especially empty beer cans not to mention it looks like some of the trees were purposely cut down. Also in March someone found a dead body just off the trail. Seems someone stabbed the man to death but authorities do not know if the body was placed there or not and no suspects have been caught in regards to it. Also the jogger found the body around 2 PM in the afternoon.

I live out on the Island but I have a few friends who grew up and live in the city and they tell me ever since hipsters took over and brought their fixed bikes, crappy beer and artisanal donuts the price of rent has skyrocketed and its becoming harder and harder for them to make ends meet. I'm a pretty left wing as they come but shit like this pisses me off. I also read recently of this I think it was a bakery that's been in business in the city for over 30 years and because of the influx of trust fund kids and hipsters their rent skyrocketed and they said they will need to close their doors soon. I'll try to find the article on it. I've also seen news stories and read articles on other businesses being forced to close because they can't keep up with the rent prices. I just hope Saint Vitus bar in Brooklyn doesn't go under (I've seen some of the best metal shows there). I doubt that place will but you never know

As per where I live one of the bigger health issues is the opioid problem we are having here on the Island and especially that of heroin recently becoming a problem and is verging on an epidemic in some areas. Another problem too is since heroin use has spiked among teenagers and young adults fentanyl has reared its ugly head. Fentanyl last year killed at least 220 people here. Now you have Fentanyl laced Heroin making the rounds out here. I myself am a recovering heroin and opioid addict and when I was knee deep in using there really wasn't that much of a problem here. This was around 2006-2008 and the biggest issue was pill abuse. That changed though when it became very hard for folks to be able to doctor shop and many doctors leery about giving out subscriptions for opioid pain killers and the fact that pain pills on the street starting costing more than heroin itself which I believe led to many a person switching to using heroin outright. I'm 33 now and for me it all began when I was 15 and an older friend offered to give me heroin and usually when you start out using it, it is either via smoking or sniffing it. Wasn't the case for me. I was given it via IV at the persons house back sometime in 1998. It all lasted 10 years with countless ER visits, psych ward stays, inpatient and outpatient rehab and three major overdoses., It is all behind me and I'm grateful for being able to say that. Can't say the same for a few friends who unlike myself ended up becoming addicted to the shit recently. I just fucking hate the fact that some dealers are lacing heroin with Fentanyl here on Long Island and that junkies are seeking it out. As sick as it sounds a lot of junkies when they read news stories or know someone else who has overdosed or died from the Fentanyl laced Heroin here they seek it out. See when I was using Fentanyl was rare and Fentanyl laced heroin was even rarer. Now its pretty damn common.

One issue related directly to the town I live in has to deal with a Getty gas station on one of the main roads. A good 7 or so years ago the place caught fire and the inside was totally ruined, luckily the gas pumps didn't catch fire. The derelict building just sits there and hasn't been touched since outside of someone putting a chain linked fence around it with a sign stating closed for renovations which was put up like a month afterwards. I wonder who owns it now because they should just demolish the building and put something up in its place.

Another issue that I've been dealing with is the Tackapausha preserve here.

2826870.jpg

This is a photo of part of the preserve awhile back. I ended up going for an afternoon walk in it last week and its disgusting how the place looks. Trash everywhere and especially empty beer cans not to mention it looks like some of the trees were purposely cut down. Also in March someone found a dead body just off the trail. Seems someone stabbed the man to death but authorities do not know if the body was placed there or not and no suspects have been caught in regards to it. Also the jogger found the body around 2 PM in the afternoon.

I have been hearing LI has a opioid/heroin issue. It is a shame because I spent my weekends on LI growing up. I had a cousin who lived in Babylon, and his dad use to own a restaurant on Ocean Beach. I would go there every summer.

I have this theory about how the heroin is coming in. LI has many towns with many homes having littoral rights, meaning many homes have boat houses, and then access to the open ocean. I noticed many of these towns getting an influx of what look like lower income denizens. I am thinking these people are taking them boats out into ocean, meeting up with another boat from another country, and just handing off packages of drugs, and coming home.

I have been hearing LI has a opioid/heroin issue. It is a shame because I spent my weekends on LI growing up. I had a cousin who lived in Babylon, and his dad use to own a restaurant on Ocean Beach. I would go there every summer.

I have this theory about how the heroin is coming in. LI has many towns with many homes having littoral rights, meaning many homes have boat houses, and then access to the open ocean. I noticed many of these towns getting an influx of what look like lower income denizens. I am thinking these people are taking them boats out into ocean, meeting up with another boat from another country, and just handing off packages of drugs, and coming home.
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

You just blew my mind with that. That does seem extremely plausible

Back