What is the future for Uriah Hall?

Lots of flash but never gonna challenge for the title.

Didn't really live up to the potential I thought he had. He has some good wins though, still can't believe he beat Mousasi.
That was some crazy shit how he finished Moose.

He fought with a broken toe (there was visibly bone sticking out) and won a close fight against a very offensively dangerous Santos. You don't win in that situation if you're quitter. Brunson loss was in part because Brunson was in the mid of a win streak playing a very fatalistic fighting style that was working for him so far, it was either do or die, and he hit Hall with a big shot which immediately ko'd Hall. And what does being one punch ko'd has to do with being mentally weak? The fight was too short and ended too sudden to really make someone believably give up.

And what about his fights against Mousasi and Jotko, being completely owned and as close to being finished as you could without the fight being stopped, still end up winning both fights in the second round. That's a clear case of coming back from some serious adversity.

I do think he is someone who let's things get to his head, but he is not as mentally weak as people like to view him. Aforementioned 3 examples are clear examples of him showing serious balls.

Yeah, but you didn't address any of the fights I was talking about.

What about the Howard and Natal losses? He was happy to coast to a loss because he didn't have an answer to the pressure. Even the Whitakker fight - yeah, Rob went on to win the interim belt and is probably the best striker in the division, but Hall didn't know that at the time. Again, he was just evasive to the pressure and coasted to another loss. He didn't even try to rally back in any of those fights.

And what's Brunson's win streak at the time got to do with anything? Hall backed straight up when pressured, because again, that's what he does when someone brings it.

We might just have to agree to disagree, but you can't deny that for such a talented and explosive striker, the guy folds like a lawn chair in fights that he really shouldn't.

My guess would be a fight with Vitor Belfort is his future.

Watching a Uriah Hall fight is like betting on black,

Your either doing to win or lose.
Hard to get excited for his fights with those odds...

<mma4> Interesting analogy...

I run hot & cold with Uriah like most here say has all the potential but lacks that fight kill switch. He over thinks a fight it's not even real fight IQ he's just in there overthinking instead of fighting fight IQ is connected to raw instinct just fight the IQ will kick in, stop acting like you taking notes inside the cage...

Yeah, but you didn't address any of the fights I was talking about.

What about the Howard and Natal losses? He was happy to coast to a loss because he didn't have an answer to the pressure. Even the Whitakker fight - yeah, Rob went on to win the interim belt and is probably the best striker in the division, but Hall didn't know that at the time. Again, he was just evasive to the pressure and coasted to another loss. He didn't even try to rally back in any of those fights.
The Natal loss is certainly a knock on him being a headcase. He talks about being a nice guy, then we find out there's a lot of bad blood between him and Natal, and the guy still ends up fighting incredibly passive.

And what's Brunson's win streak at the time got to do with anything? Hall backed straight up when pressured, because again, that's what he does when someone brings it.
Brunson's m.o. in those wins are related to how Hall lost that fight, meaning Brunson was blitzing a lot of people in similar fashion. He is a fast, explosive guy who was going all out in the first minute of a fight, trying to get that big finish. Any fighter getting attacked that way is at heavy risk if they're not careful. Which at the same time, also makes it very dangerous for Brunson himself by either exposing himself or gassing out. I don't think any of those elements inherently have to with the concept that Hall has quit in him.

Also, that fight lasted less than 2 minutes, with at least 2 instances of Hall coming forward and them clinching. Hall was also not backing up in a straight line, he was side stepping before the big ko, but Brunson adjusted and also took a step to the side and threw the punch that ko'd Hall. Nothing about those moments scream he lost due to lack of willpower.

But even considering he does have a tendency to back up in a straight line, but that imo is more a defensive issue than a mental one. I think he got caught like that in the Weidman fight (pre UFC) and I think he also got in trouble like that vs Gastelum.

We might just have to agree to disagree, but you can't deny that for such a talented and explosive striker, the guy folds like a lawn chair in fights that he really shouldn't.
We probably don't disagree as much as you'd think. I can agree there is some truth to the common perception of him. But I basically think he's not as much a quitter as people say, and on the opposite end, I don't think he has as high a ceiling as people claim either, he's not some young buck just starting out. He certainly looks the part of a bad-ass fighter, but there is a lot more to getting to the upper echelon than being athletic and having cool ko's.

Last edited:
Back