what is the deal with tights under shorts for basketball players?

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Why are so many high school and college basketball players wearing tights under their shorts?

Is there supposed to be some benefit?

I went to a college game and it was about 70 degrees out and warm in the gym but about half the guys had tights.

The other weird one to me is long shorts and socks that go up to their shorts.

Well, these are some explosive and athletic athletes, and they got a lot to hold in, naw mean

380x.jpg

220x.jpg

images

I wear boxer briefs when exercising (and most of time anyway). Can't have my boys bouncing around all willy nilly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_garment

Sportswear

Compression sportswear is usually worn by athletes. They may be shirts, shorts, tights or underwear. They are form-fitting garments often made from a spandex-type material.
The main benefits of compression sportswear is that it keeps the muscles warm to prevent muscle strain and fatigue, and wick sweat away from the body to prevent chafing and rashes. In addition, there is some evidence that compression shorts may enhance athletic performance.[5] Compression sportswear also helps to keep undergarments in place, and for certain sports, like baseball and softball, come with padding at the hips to protect players from injuries due to sliding.
There are many types of compression garments that serve a similar function, such as compression t-shirts, socks, sleeves, and tights. Common and popular brands are Lurbel, Skins, Supacore, CoovyWear, BV Sport, CEP, 2XU, IXS, iTRACC, SIX30, Compressport, Nike, Under Armour, BSc Body Science, McDavid, Easton, Zensah, EC3D, PT Gear, Reebok, Stromgren and Adidas.

Shorts and tights

Compression shorts and tights are undergarments usually worn by athletes. They are form-fitting garments and when worn cover the athlete's waist to mid or lower thigh, similar to cycling shorts. Two major differences between compression and cycling shorts, however, are that cycling shorts have seat padding typically made of chamois, and compression shorts have paneling to add a higher degree of pressure to the thigh and hamstring.[6]
More recently, jockstraps have declined in popularity with young male athletes, and garments such as compression shorts have seen an increase in popularity, arguably because of their comparable function and less embarrassing looks. Many are available with a "cup pocket", or a sewn-in pocket that can hold a protective cup. It is arguable that compression shorts do not keep cups in the proper position, tight to the body and not moving, like a jockstrap can. Some players wear the compression shorts over the traditional jockstrap.[7]
Compression shorts are also popular among female athletes, especially among those who wear skirts or kilts during games. In those situations, athletes wear compression shorts under the skirt so if they fall over and their skirts ride up, their underwear will not be exposed. This is seen particularly in women's lacrosse and field hockey (both being no-contact sports in which players often wear skirts). In this situation, compression shorts are colloquially identified as spandex shorts. Women also wear compression shorts in tennis; where most recently, compression shorts have been produced with ball pockets for convenience. There are also women's compression shorts for use before, during and after pregnancy. Pregnancy compression shorts supports upper and lower abdominal muscles, caesarean wounds and perineal stitches.[8]

I wear boxer briefs when exercising (and most of time anyway). Can't have my boys bouncing around all willy nilly.

This. I always wear briefs and shorts under my shorts when exercising or just in general. Don't know why just a habit.

So their balls won't stick out for the public to see.

im in a basketball league. I always wear compression shorts underneath. MOstly becasue it stops chafing. Plus having the tight fitting spandex underneath makes you feel somehow more flexible.

Fuck those type of tights.

If you keep it real and keep it old school, you wear the ones that go above your knee.

aagk122magic-johnson-michael-jordan-posters.jpg

Back