What is the deal with Muhammad Ali's weight? Seriously

SavedByGrace

White Belt
Reaction score
Over the past year or so I've been training for boxing. I'm 6'1, with a normal body type. How is it that Muhammad Ali -- for example -- can be so unbelievably trim and still be 216 lbs?? I mean yes, he's 6'3, but when I'm at my trimmest now, with a nice bit of muscle mass, I'm like 185-188 lbs. And I lift weights ALOT.

How is it that guy never ever lifted weights?? Like honestly, is this stuff true about Ali not lifting weights?? Like look at Ali when he was in Zaire against Foreman, the guy was in absolutely impeccable shape. Can just hitting a heavy bag and shadowboxing really give you THAT much definition??

If I went up to 216 I'd just have that odd looking bodybuilder physique with too much unnecessary muscle.

So what is it? Did Ali just have huge bones or something?

Over the past year or so I've been training for boxing. I'm 6'1, with a normal body type. How is it that Muhammad Ali -- for example -- can be so unbelievably trim and still be 216 lbs?? I mean yes, he's 6'3, but when I'm at my trimmest now, with a nice bit of muscle mass, I'm like 185-188 lbs. And I lift weights ALOT.

How is it that guy never ever lifted weights?? Like honestly, is this stuff true about Ali not lifting weights?? Like look at Ali when he was in Zaire against Foreman, the guy was in absolutely impeccable shape. Can just hitting a heavy bag and shadowboxing really give you THAT much definition??

If I went up to 216 I'd just have that odd looking bodybuilder physique with too much unnecessary muscle.

Ali stated a few times that he got his body doing calisthenics, and of course great dieting.

Boxing puts stress on your muscles and burns alot of calories, so I think they will get some musclular definition that is of course if they don't overeat.
Same with RJJ. He said he got his upperbody doing boxing, pushups, dips, chin ups, pull ups, ab excersizes. he said the only time he weight lifted it was for his legs, like squats, and he did light weight high reps.

Very interesting, but I mean, I still find it real hard that Ali did absolutely no weights. I mean 216 -- for a very lean person -- is pretty damn heavy if you're literally only doing cardio and floorwork like calisthenics. Crazy

That's genetics and natural weight.

Heavyweights typically walk around a lot heavier between fights and train down to their peak fighting trim.

Different body types: ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph, often primarily 1 type with leanings toward a second type.

Holyfield for instance was a natural 186 pounder, an ectomorph with mesomorphic tendencies.
Look how small his hip structure and joints are. It's in the bones.

That's why even though he packed on the mass to go up to Heavyweight, Holyfield still never appeared to have a legitimate heavyweight body.

James Thunder was a legitimate heavyweight, about the same height and weight as Holyfield at Heavyweight, and James was muscular, but there was no comparison between the 2.

Ken Norton was an awesome physical specimen who folks were sure lifted weights, but he never did.

Tyson at 12 years old already had the thick muscular body except he was shorter.

Sonny Liston was the same.

There's been many sculpted physiques in boxing built with no weight training whatsoever.

Boxing coaches have historically frowned on weight-lifting for boxers, and most boxing coaches still frown on it.

Very interesting, but I mean, I still find it real hard that Ali did absolutely no weights. I mean 216 -- for a very lean person -- is pretty damn heavy if you're literally only doing cardio and floorwork like calisthenics. Crazy

Here's a pic of me last summer at around 208. The extent of my non-boxing workout has never gone beyond a fuckin LOT of running (sprints, long distance, other), various ab excercises, dips, pull ups, and pushups. I never did massive amounts of the last two. Also I would do some curls from time to time, and lots of leg lifting with measured weight. When I started boxing at 17, I weighed under 190. I am 21 in the pic so I guess physically maturing could've had something to do with the increase in weight, but I would say that hundreds of thousands of thrown/landed punches that entailed at least some stress to every part of the body played a role in the muscle growth and development. And so now that we've reached the bottom line: Genetics. Get over it Cuz.

54c54187.jpg

This thread could use a lot less pubes.

MeBig - you won golden gloves somewhere didnt you?

ali's weight was in his ass and legs,thats were all that great foot work came from,he had very strong heavy legs thats why,take a good look at footage and look at his legs

Remember 70% of yor muscle mass is in your legs and back, so I suggest some squats and deadlifts and you should catch up real quick

we all know josh brolin is the bigger badass (and way more dreamy). he didnt take no shit from anyone (except bullets, but still)

Back