What is the boxing forums take on mayweathers career?

Floyd Mayweather je. was the best defense boxer ever and inspiration for training boxing just like Loma
He's top 3-5 all time for defensive fighters. He had a nice mix of offence though with his counters and straight KO's before he injured his hands.

Willie Pep used to win entire fights without throwing a punch?
That's urban legend. Also, Sandy Saddler figured him out and Floyd fought a higher level of competition across more weightclasses overall.

That's urban legend. Also, Sandy Saddler figured him out and Floyd fought a higher level of competition across more weightclasses overall.

Pep is considered better by general consensus and his comeback against Saddler (which was post plane-crash mind you) is probably a better win than any Floyd has. And he has the longevity to match; reached a historic 130-0 at one point, and retired 229–11–1. That's insane. Floyd has multiple quality wins over multiple weight-classes but Pep has his own host of prime Hall of Famers.

Pep is considered better by general consensus and his comeback against Saddler (which was post plane-crash mind you) is probably a better win than any Floyd has. And he has the longevity to match; reached a historic 130-0 at one point, and retired 229–11–1. That's insane. Floyd has multiple quality wins over multiple weight-classes but Pep has his own host of prime Hall of Famers.
Touche. I wouldn't claim to know a lot about his era but I don't know if it is a general consensus. Also even with inflation adjusted, Floyd proved to be the greatest prize fighter ever.

That's like saying Tommy Hearns figured out Roberto Duran. He was 135-1-1, had been champ 6 years, and had recovered from a plane crash. He was at a big height and reach disadvantage, and still managed to prove his skill and heart, in one of the legendary fights in boxing history when he regained the title in their rematch. If you consider size and "prime" there is nobody on Floyd's resume that tops Saddler. You can compare him to Corrales, but Floyd was closer to his prime than Pep, and Corrales was more Ring Sgt. while Saddler was a Ring General.

Last edited:
Touche. I wouldn't claim to know a lot about his era but I don't know if it is a general consensus. Also even with inflation adjusted, Floyd proved to be the greatest prize fighter ever.
Floyd is an ATG fighter, no doubt, but how can you proclaim him the GOAT when you're not familiar with the greats of other eras?

Willie Pep used to win entire fights without throwing a punch?
The story was that he told some guys from press row to watch for a certain round. After a few rounds he had his opponent flinching and used movement and feinting to control the round and avoid being hit. How true it is I don't know but it's not as hard to believe as him having won an entire fight without throwing a punch.

Floyd is an ATG fighter, no doubt, but how can you proclaim him the GOAT when you're not familiar with the greats of other eras?
We have a lack of video footage from his era and he was beaten. Records from that era are pretty sketchy as well. I'm not saying that Pep isn't one of the best best I don't think anyone can really verify the level of competition or accuracy of the records in that era. That's what I'm working off on.

Floyd was rarely troubled against a variety of top level opponents with different skillsets and sizes. There is also video footage of his fights.

We have a lack of video footage from his era and he was beaten. Records from that era are pretty sketchy as well. I'm not saying that Pep isn't one of the best best I don't think anyone can really verify the level of competition or accuracy of the records in that era. That's what I'm working off on.

Floyd was rarely troubled against a variety of top level opponents with different skillsets and sizes. There is also video footage of his fights.
I believe you're thinking about the newspaper decision era. Boxing was basically modern by the 40's when Pep and Robinson fought. It was a Golden Age. At any rate we're all entitled to our opinions so we can agree to disagree.

The story was that he told some guys from press row to watch for a certain round. After a few rounds he had his opponent flinching and used movement and feinting to control the round and avoid being hit. How true it is I don't know but it's not as hard to believe as him having won an entire fight without throwing a punch.
I was trying to induce a chuckle, failed.

Mayweather played it safe both inside and outside of the ring. Arguably the best defensive fighter of his generation. No signature wins, a questionable win vs Castillo, and many decisions where the fight pace was frustrating to watch as a fan. A douche outside of the ring with several charges/convictions of domestic abuse.

You can't deny his accomplishments, but the way he got there puts him down a few spots in the all-time rankings.

Pep is considered better by general consensus .

that will change as time passes. Floyd obviously has a better list of scalps on his resume than Pep.

that will change as time passes. Floyd obviously has a better list of scalps on his resume than Pep.

The better names, but not necessarily at the time he fought them. He faced such a large amount of ranked fighters and former/future world champions.

Pep is typically ranked above the fab 4, who are typically ranked above Floyd. I don't see time making that leap, except in the minds of casuals who already think Floyd is a top 5 fighter of all time.

The better names, but not necessarily at the time he fought them. He faced such a large amount of ranked fighters and former/future world champions.

Pep is typically ranked above the fab 4, who are typically ranked above Floyd. I don't see time making that leap, except in the minds of casuals who already think Floyd is a top 5 fighter of all time.

Only Leonard and Duran seem to be ranked above Floyd with any regularity out of the Fab 4. Pep can definitely be argued ahead of Floyd, though. People forget that he amassed a very impressive resume fighting at LW (despite never fighting for the belt there) on top of his dominant run at FW (and Pep was a small FW who was genuinely outsized at LW). His resume would have been a fair bit more impressive had he not been in the plane crash, as well.

People who should say "He's the best I've ever seen." Not " He's the GOAT."

Limbo slice level. Seriously? What do you want the answer to be, he is easily top 10

Back