What Is The Big Deal With Being A 2 Division Champ?

So a 2-0 fighter is = GSP, BJ Penn, Randy Couture and even McG?
The fact that you asked the question makes it apparent you are a typical Sherdog Hater. Fighter loses a fight he is a bum, Fighter wins a fight everyone he beat is a bum. So what would be impressive? I agree the McGregor did not earn his LW shot in the Octagon and he did have a very manicured road to the FW belt but he still beat Aldo & Alvarez all by himself. BJ won the WW belt because there was no LW division and when they did bring it back he won that one too. Randy won the HW title and the LHW title multiple times.
TJ is cutting weight to fight DJ at 125 for title shot, so all he is essentially doing is trying to win two fights in a row. He has won more than two fights in row before.

Is TJ going to beat a bunch of 125ers to get his title shot? No. All he has to do is win 1 more fight (2 fights in a row), and the UFC will call him a champ. LOL

Joke.

There needs to be context: Obviously it's a big deal, but I don't think it's enough to justify that at that moment in time they were the 'best' fighter in the division. To do that, you have to defend, otherwise you can cherrypick your way to the top.

For example:

If WME was doing these money fights pre 2010: Machida could have moved up and beat Couture. Moved back down, won and become 2 division champ.

Anderson could have moved up, beaten chinless Chuck then Couture and been a three division champ. He would have been a big favourite in both title fights.

Chuck could have moved up and beat Couture I.E: A guy he already beat.

Instead, people were told to stay in their division and defend. How about when Serra beat GSP. Sean Sherk could have probably moved up and won.

There are many examples.

Last edited:
UFC fans act like if being a 2 division champ is the same as winning a grand slam in tennis. No, tennis doesn't have weight classes, but if you want to win a grand slam, you have to play your way to the title game.

Just because you won Wimbeldon, it doesn't mean that you automatically play in the title game of Wimbledon. You have to go through competition, and make it to the Wimbledon title game.

I don't think you understand what a tennis grand slam is. Winning back to back Wimbledon's isn't the same as Winning the Australian, French, Wimbledon and US opens and completing a grand slam, it's the same as defending your belt.

2 weights is significant in MMA because the weight classes are so big. 170 -185 is one weight class in MMA but 160 - 175 in boxing (MW to LHW the weight classes don't really line up) is 3 weight classes and not 2.

I don't think you understand what a tennis grand slam is. Winning back to back Wimbledon's isn't the same as Winning the Australian, French, Wimbledon and US opens and completing a grand slam, it's the same as defending your belt.

2 weights is significant in MMA because the weight classes are so big. 170 -185 is one weight class in MMA but 160 - 175 in boxing (MW to LHW the weight classes don't really line up) is 3 weight classes and not 2.
I know exactly what a tennis grand slam. Tennis is not exactly the best comparison with MMA.

It is awesome to be a Champ - Champ. But I would prefer the title actually being defended. No need to hold up a division.

2 division champ Doesn't mean too much, especially when you just get a direct title shot. Styles make matches. Some champs match up good with others

You know what would be impressive? Holding one belt then fighting your way in another weight class up to a legitimate title shot and actually winning the belt after you earned the right to contend for it.

TJ is cutting weight to fight DJ at 125 for title shot, so all he is essentially doing is trying to win two fights in a row. He has won more than two fights in row before.

Is TJ going to beat a bunch of 125ers to get his title shot? No. All he has to do is win 1 more fight (2 fights in a row), and the UFC will call him a champ. LOL

Joke.
I can agree with that if TJ has no intention of fighting at FlyW other than just a title fight with DJ. Frankie Edgar for example got a FW title shot after being LW champion and having never fought at FW but I don't think you can say he didn't deserve his first shot. He was a natural FW who won the belt at a higher weight class, beating bigger guys. If Frankie had won that belt he would have been defending it. A guy who wins a belt and moves up with no defences to the next class and gets an immediate shot is BS. A champ with Zero defenses vs a champ with Zero defenses is kind of BS. Conor vs Alvarez made no sense for the sport. Lots of dollars and cents though.

Lol. It depends who does it, clearly.

The only time it should be a big deal is if you move up and beat a dominate champion. GSP vs Silva would've been a super fight and if GSP beat him it would be impressive. Beating a placeholder champion isn't a great achievement especially when you get a fast track to the title.

What is going on in here today?!?! The stupidity, wowow.

Back