What is the best way to close distance ? [Muay Thai]

NGSouthpaw

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have not experienced much, but so far jab then slip seem to works good for me. I'm still trying to find the best way to close the distance. Thanks in advance!
Oh and i am a southpaw btw.

If going against orthodox stance (most common), I would wait and counter, by splitting their jab with a stepping 45 degree, left cross while slipping outside of their jab, then not retract my left hand back to guard but drop it straight down for my rear leg kick to the body....a jumping/flying kick would be best to adjust for such close distance or knee to the body.

Another would be to roll their jab, and jab over it. A pretty easy move since the lead hands are close in the open guard, but it's more of a rarer, tricky type move.

step in knee strike, you can even fake it as well doing some kind of exaggerated "lead step", you'd end up right at clinch distance usually

-Piercing knee with high guard.
-Step back only with your front foot and body, the rear foot stays put. If he follows, your rear leg should be in a striking distance.
-After a check, put down your foot a little further, not just down.
-If you move your front foot first, your opponent will see it. If you move your back foot a little (no switching, and don't compromise your balance) you may trick your opponent.
-Feints, but instead of the actual strike, you move. (but like all feints, you have to make him scared of the actual strike, so you must do some damage before)
-Pressure and footwork to put him on the ropes/corner.
-Switch kick with the a little hop forward (needs a lot of practice)
-Long jab to keep his guard up shielding his eyes from you footwork. You may leave your hand hanging a bit in front of his face, but it has risks...
-Teep with the front foot, while you "hop" with the rear (needs a lot of practice)
-Flying knee (needs practice)
-For a south paw: Step outside of his lead foot, watch out for his left elbow and switch kick/knee.

Watch lot of fights from pros, and just concentrate on how they do it. I don't find it that hard to close distance in MT, cause usually the opponent doesn't move back a lot. The mentality is to stay block and trade, not so much to evade.

Make the opponent do it for you. I'm southpaw at times (I'm a stance switcher) and like to annoy my sparring partners with teeps. Eventually they get tired of being on the outside and jump in with something. I can also place my foot forward and to the outside after throwing a front leg teep and follow with a strike from the rear side. Also, once the front leg teep is established, it becomes possible to feint the teep and use it to move the lead foot forward.

Get them on your time by overwhelming them with variables. Use feints. Change your rhythm. Vary your intention, alternately creating or covering distance. Once they start to bite and react, lead with strikes that make sense given the opening they've given you.

Back