What is the best martial art to train for Law Enforcement?

John St.Pierre

White Belt
@White
Reaction score

Judo, BJJ, wrestling, Akido, Krav Maga, Striking? What do you think?

Judo and BJJ seem to work just fine for the cops I know.

Most important capacities in melee combat for someone working in security:

1. Staying on your feet
2. taking counterparts off their feet
3. weapon retention

Aikido. You can kotegaeshi them when they grab your gun-holding hand.

Anything Steven seagull trains is the best…

Judo and boxing
You don't want to be smashing someone's teeth out, but it's handy to know how to punch should the need arise and being able to take a shot is also crucial

Knowing how to physically control someone is very important in LE.
IMO, as an officer, any grappling style would be very practical

Probably Judo. In real life, I'd say a decent Judoka has the advantage over just about anyone. You can completely fuck someone up with a big throw on a hard surface (or even kill them with Osoto Gari, LOL), gently put them on their arse with a footsweep, and have enough groundwork to do well against a non-jiujiteiro. The lack of a jacket isn't a major impediment, and with any kind of clothing involved the judoka has a huge advantage.

Jiu jitsu. There's a big learning curve in judo and being able to control someone on the ground is especially important for LEOs. Also, wrestling takedowns are generally superior without a gi

Probably Judo. In real life, I'd say a decent Judoka has the advantage over just about anyone. You can completely fuck someone up with a big throw on a hard surface (or even kill them with Osoto Gari, LOL), gently put them on their arse with a footsweep, and have enough groundwork to do well against a non-jiujiteiro. The lack of a jacket isn't a major impediment, and with any kind of clothing involved the judoka has a huge advantage.

Sweeps are sooooo underutilized in martial arts and very effective. That’s why I like Islam and Dagestani’s for the judo aspects of sambo include them and they don’t hesitate to use them.

Sweeps are sooooo underutilized in martial arts and very effective. That’s why I like Islam and Dagestani’s for the judo aspects of sambo include them and they don’t hesitate to use them.
Yep, they're excellent techniques. Low risk, can be used to set up combinations, and reward pure technical ability (meaning they're effective against a larger, stronger opponent; if you have the requisite skill and timing).

I'm not long back at Judo as an adult
I did some as a kid, but moved to more striking like boxing and kickboxing, then crossed over to competitive powerlifting

To cut a long story short, I'm close to 250 and still squat and deadlift over 500, without being focused in powerlifting, yet a couple of our clubs more competitive juodoka absolutely play with me standing

I'm a helpless child when slightly off balance
I'm not an average guy on the street for size and strength yet it shows how effective Judo can be

I know all grappling arts are great in the higher ranks, but the sheer intensity of Judo is something else

Great art for self defence

Jiu jitsu. There's a big learning curve in judo and being able to control someone on the ground is especially important for LEOs. Also, wrestling takedowns are generally superior without a gi

The problem is getting an opponent to the ground, which is crucial in a street fight. Going for a telegraphed double or single could do you more harm than good.

Another good aspect of Judo groundwork is the intencity and speed at which they need either secure a pin or a submission. Although less eloquent than Jiujitsu groundwork, I think Judo groundwork can be more effective in a street fight setting.

Back