What is the best Judo/BJJ match of all time?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
You know, recently, a while back we had Loma-Rigo fight that pitted two gold medalists, with two golds each against each other, which might have been the match with the most decorated fighters in boxing, notwithstanding how the match ended. It made me wonder about what would be its equivalent in kickboxing/muay thai and posted a thread about it, but didn't really seem easy to find a match that is close.

In amatuer wrestling, it's simple. It's really a match between John Smith and Sergei. And in this match too, a guy who came up from a weight class below lost. Between this two, they have four olympic golds and ten world championship golds.

It got me wondering about Judo and BJJ itself as well.

I'd imagine just because how well known BJJ fighters are to MMA fans it would be easier to find BJJ equivalent, but I really have no idea ab out Judo.

My guess for BJJ fight would probably be someone that involving Marcelo Garcia, I'd imagine, but not sure.

Don’t know the best, but kron vs tonon must be up there...

In the gi? Shit thousands, but roger Jacare could be there too...

Roger/jacare. Jacare getting his arm broken and that whole scene was classic.
Buchecha/roger- both matches.
Buchecha/rodolfo- they’ve had some good ones.
Pena/Gordon- someone flipping the script on the dds dudes, when it looked like they were gonna heelhook the world.
Kron/Marcelo- classic back an forth.

Those are some of the stand outs that come to mind

In the gi any of Terere's matches are always a blast

I could only find a highlight, but this is way up there, for judo fights:

I just thought of this one too:

Honestly, it's hard to remember all the great judo fights. There are just so many high level ones going on all the time, all over the world.

Buchecha- Roger 1 was incredible. That's head and shoyldrrsabove the rest.

Roger also had one in the gi with Marcelo where Marcelo had his back and had a collar choke in DEEP. Seemed like within a minute, Roger escaped, reversed, and got his own choke that he finished.

you ever seen mackenzi dern vs gabi garcia lol

There aren't many great judo matches that live up to any hype surrounding it. Most of them end in one big ippon.

I like Uta Abe vs Bouchard this year at Paris final, it was quite tense.

Marcelo vs Ricco Rodriguez. Bullies everywhere wept after that match

Last edited:
My personal favorite grappling match of all time is Almeida - Arona from ADCC 2003 (I think). This match has it all. Great wrestling exchanges, tons of position changes, it's just wild. Two tremedous grapplers who could genuinely wrestle and fought MMA, this match feels like a fight. It's fantastic.

My personal favorite grappling match of all time is Almeida - Arona from ADCC 2003 (I think). This match has it all. Great wrestling exchanges, tons of position changes, it's just wild. Two tremedous grapplers who could genuinely wrestle and fought MMA, this match feels like a fight. It's fantastic.

This was from a golden age.

This was from a golden age.

Agree completely. Those guys could do it all in a way that not many high level competitors can anymore. Partially it's opportunity cost, it takes so long to get good at top guys specialize, but it's also that top guy back then all had MMA as part of their training so they had that mindset and that wrestling skill set in way that's less common now.

I could only find a highlight, but this is way up there, for judo fights:

Honestly, it's hard to remember all the great judo fights. There are just so many high level ones going on all the time, all over the world.

So anything that comes close to Rigo/Loma and Smith/sergei that has two olympic golds on each so eight gold medals in two matches..?

So anything that comes close to Rigo/Loma and Smith/sergei that has two olympic golds on each so eight gold medals in two matches..?
I guess something like Teddy Riner vs Alexander Mikhaylin would be close. At the time, Mikhaylin already had 3 world titles, Riner had 4.

I guess something like Teddy Riner vs Alexander Mikhaylin would be close. At the time, Mikhaylin already had 3 world titles, Riner had 4.

Hmm i find heavyweight judo matches boring.

Hmm i find heavyweight judo matches boring.
I tend to agree, but I like some guys like Guram Tushishvili who tries to score ippon rather than having a slow gripping battle. Riner does have some beautiful ippons, too.

I wonder if this match is what made Travis Stevens start learning BJJ. Flavio Canto is amazing on the ground and I've heard people say if he did BJJ instead of Judo he would be a world champion. Its inspiring to see someone put Judo and BJJ together so well.

man i wonder what aronas doing today id like to see if hes changed his game any since 10 + years ago

Back