What is the best headgear?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Bobby Jacobsen, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Bobby Jacobsen

Bobby Jacobsen Amateur Fighter

I want something with good protection that doesn't limit vision too badly. Nothing worse than getting kicked in the head because you couldn't possibly have seen it. The price isn't really an issue just want the best protection/best visibilty package. I also want it to last.

2. Dabappa

Dabappa Yellow Belt

3. Bobby Jacobsen

Bobby Jacobsen Amateur Fighter

Nice review. I see it's on sale for $ 90 at the moment too.

4. honoredhatred

honoredhatred White Belt

I got some Twins head gear for like 60 bucks, it's a really good quality. It's not available everywhere but Twins gear it's great quality and holds up real good. Best gear I've ever purchased is from Twins.

5. Timm S

Timm S Yellow Belt

Top Ten is the best. It's all I use and I never kickbox or spar without it. Checkout www.totiro-usa.com to buy it in the USA. The generally have the best price, low shipping costs (and no duties for importing) and my students get the product very quickly.

6. Madmick

Madmick Scholar of Taghaza Staff Member Senior Moderator

Fightgear is awesome, but specifically this model:
    http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25828

That's what I wear; I've tried every headgear in our gym, and of everyone who attends and has his own, and none compare. I've never tried the Top Ten, though.

7. BAMF

BAMF PWNT

The top ten head gear looks like its that cheep foam crap that doesnt absorb any of the blow. Can anyone tell me what it is made of. Ohh and i would go with rivals headgear deffinitly pricey but the quality is top notch.

shincheckin likes this.
  8. Timm S

Timm S Yellow Belt

Top Ten is made from Baxflex rubber. It's so far and above foam there is no comparison. It's also completely hygenic. Since it's rubber you can wash/disinfect it and it doesn't absorb sweat blood or anything else for that matter. There have been scientific tests done that show how well it disburses impacts. Check out the websites they can explain it better than me. I just know that when I'm kickboxing, I hear the hits (punches & kicks) but I don't feel them.

9. Dabappa

Dabappa Yellow Belt

I used to use a Proforce Lightning dipped foam headgear for point sparring, and can agree that it is nearly useless.

However, the Bayflex material of the TOP-TEN helmet is completely different and infinitely better; the two are not nearly comparable.

The rubber like construction of the TOP-TEN headgear is probably a love it or hate it deal. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to try one before buying.

10. Ninjutsu Master

Ninjutsu Master Purple Belt

yeah I used to use the MACHO Warrior headgear and the foam dipped stuff doesn't compare at all. And it is a love it or hate it kinda thing, but luckily they also make a leather headgear they uses the bayflex padding. Idk if totiro carries it though, but the canadian distributor has it for a jacked up price: http://www.toptencanada.com/store/shopping.php?category=4&sub=5&item=148&subitem=0

And the german distributor has it too: http://www.budoland.com/index.php?id=82&language=en&osCsid=d62471c6a76a22258f0253088111cd07&cPath=149&osCsid=d62471c6a76a22258f0253088111cd07

11. BAHOTAE

BAHOTAE Yellow Belt

K4BOSH likes this.
  12. evil_glove

evil_glove Brown Belt

has anyone tried any of the rival headgear?

13. Timm S

Timm S Yellow Belt

Wow that is some expensive stuff. For me though, it won't work for kickboxing. No protection on top of head.

14. BAMF

BAMF PWNT

15. BAHOTAE

BAHOTAE Yellow Belt

Winning is the headgear that almost all the MMA/Kickboxing pros use here in Japan. If you've seen countdown UFC 75 Juanitos team uses of Winning gear. I personally seen Gomi have the exact same headgear shown in the pic in the gym. Masato uses Winning.

Also the argument of no top protection does not make sense. Twins and Fairtex headgear are very popular in muaythai training, they also don't have top protection.

16. glebster_inc

glebster_inc Purple Belt

17. BJJ Coffee Drinker

BJJ Coffee Drinker Amateur Fighter

what is green hill?

18. Ali's Jab

Ali's Jab Guest

Thanks for this bro. I couldn't find any place to buy Winning stuff.

19. blaa_kriger

blaa_kriger Strength and Honor

i was thinking of buying some headgear as well...which ones of these are better:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Personally I use this

[​IMG]

I had the title headgear like the one above and the problem with those are they tent to get slippery when you sweat and spin around on your head which makes sparring a constant adjustment of your headgear. with the fight gear above it doesn't spin as much because its got like a sweat absorbent material.