What is it like being old?

I'm 59 in a couple of months.

The joints in my finger hurt most of the time.

My back hurts most of the time.

My mind isn't really aging but my body is.

Do you work out, were you ever an athlete?

the only significant thing changed for me is sleep. I used to be able to function on 5 or less hrs of sleep and work late at night. I can't do that anymore. I don't know if it's old age or I just screwed up my body with what i did working ridiculous hours in my early 30s.

Club musics got too loud.

It's either pub or lounge now.

I grew up in the club generation. In my mid-30s lounges hit their stride and I always asked myself, "why weren't these bigger when I was younger".

i feel that my physically demanding job and training is catching up to me, my body cant seem to recover as fast as it used to (no surprise there)

numerous repetetive strain injuries have occured since i turned 30 now im 32

35 so not that old, but it sucks.

Can't lose weight that easily anymore, can't drink all night then go biking the next day without feeling a thing, joints, back and neck ache for no apparent reason, stress harder to get rid off than when you just started working, just to name a few. No binge watching that new TV show, bcs, well, you sleep less and are tired/cranky at work.

Also, i'm turning into an asshole more and more each day. Either that or I just don't have time to deal with PC BS.

On the upside, most people are probably married (regularish sex) and have kids (that's precious) and a regular set of friends (who know you and you know them). Getting a good night sleep is truly awesome (when kids are not sick/hopped up on sugar/want to watch TV/etc).

Turning 40 in April. Mainly I notice my knees hurting more after runs and it being more difficult to eat like shit and still be in good shape. Heart rate also doesnt agree with my activities. It's taking me time to accept these things. Face has more wrinkles. Nose gets larger. Depressing.

Nose and ears man... Sucks but it is what it is.

Nose and ears man... Sucks but it is what it is.
I tip my barbers accordingly by whether or not they trim the ginormous hairs growing off the tips of my ears. If they missed that, they really don't give a crap.

I roll with this HS student at the gym. I'm 27 years older. He's been training just a couple years but already gives seasoned black belts headaches. It would be really depressing were it not also kinda funny. The guy learns so quick and his body can take far more stress and still bounce back no problems the next day. Older guys tend to be slower and need more time to recover. I sub him every now and then, but only when he slips up.

In my mind, this pretty much captures what it's like to get old...

I realize more now than ever is that time is my most finite resource. I won't allow someone to waste it.

This is key. I'm not a 500K a year stock broker like most of Sherdog but I'm comfortable. I give less of a shit about "wasting" money but my time is more precious than gold nowadays, especially with people. Waste my time? Keep on walking.

I'm 36, going to a show this weekend to see a headlining Japanese goregrind band, will hang out with a wide age range of friends and acquaintances, drink more than I should and have a very fun time. The body feels a little "old" but my spirit is forever young.

Generalizing a whole lot but I think a lot of people let themselves get old and settle into boring routines that they can never escape. Partly because they start a family and simply don't have the time to dedicate to themselves like they used to so comfort is key for them. The family life was never, ever for me but hats off to those who wanted it and are doing it right now.

This is key. I'm not a 500K a year stock broker like most of Sherdog but I'm comfortable. I give less of a shit about "wasting" money but my time is more precious than gold nowadays, especially with people. Waste my time? Keep on walking.

I'm 36, going to a show this weekend to see a headlining Japanese goregrind band, will hang out with a wide age range of friends and acquaintances, drink more than I should and have a very fun time. The body feels a little "old" but my spirit is forever young.

Generalizing a whole lot but I think a lot of people let themselves get old and settle into boring routines that they can never escape. Partly because they start a family and simply don't have the time to dedicate to themselves like they used to so comfort is key for them. The family life was never, ever for me but hats off to those who wanted it and are doing it right now.
WOW 36 and still drinking you learn a lot from life

Feels the same as being young, just with more nose hair.
No fucking why it same. Much boring life careful live not make any mistake. If you was good person to 30 and didn't hurt people psychically or even worst mentally then you are smart person seeing everything that should do to have security life in future

I am much smarter at 32, but I am not a physical juggernaut like I was at 16. I am so very far from being able to run a 5 min mile or dunk these days it's not funny.

At 41 I joke about being old but really I don't feel that old. The odd ache and pain but I had that as a teenager too. I guess if anything I'm tired earlier at night.
LTBNvEg.gif

I'll be 32 on Friday, the main thing is that I got bored with stuff that used to excite me. I'm less interested in challenging myself mentally than I was in my 20s unless I'm being paid to do it. I'm much more confident and that has made me more sociable. Hangovers are much worse now than even a few years ago. Carving out time for things I enjoy is easier, since I'm not scheduling with friends all the time.

Check back in 10 years, I'm sure my response will be totally different.

I tip my barbers accordingly by whether or not they trim the ginormous hairs growing off the tips of my ears. If they missed that, they really don't give a crap.
Not only tip of the ears, but fucking inside the ear. Maybe that's why I cant hear shit anymore.

Above 30??? Come the f on 30 isn’t old.

At 30 I was still going full bore, things started to slow a little at 38, and then at 40 was like a switch was flipped. Everything hurts all the time now and it’s been getting worse and worse the last few years since turning 40.

I still look “young” but it’s changjng and catching up quick fast.

Yeah I agree, but it's easy to slighty blend matter and meaning .. I mean it's all about perception and interpretation anyway.

Its why the sun used to revolve around the earth.... The universe doesnt care and nor should it esp. if you take scale into account.

What is chaos but complete disorder and confusion. All life is death, the conversion of another form of matter(another order) to your own. If you could observe and be apart of life it would appear to be a furiously chaotic very brief flashes of light after all our lifespans are like a bacteria which lives for seconds against a tree that lives for centuries and we are a long lived lifeform.

I have no problems of people superinposing meaning on the universe as our jails are full of people who understand this fact.... that its all meaningless(whether through intuition or reason). Finding meaning is fine just dont tell yourself its a universal truth and you will not be disappointed too badly.

As for the op, I have far more money and care far less. I can do far more due to the above and far less due to my old injuries and desires change. Your 30s and 40s should be the best of your lives live for them dont fear them.

Last edited:
Back