What is functional Strength ?

I will play ball.

Moving stuff hey?

What about removal men (and women) who work for removal companies? Would that be a suitable example of moving stuff?

Most people lift because it's fun, for a sport, or to compete. I'm just saying it has side benefits in everyday life and I don't even know how that's debatable. I've seen it over the years quite a bit through just small tasks of moving furniture, moving banker boxers at work, yardwork stuff, etc. I'm not saying it's the best way to become better at a manual labor job (obviously just doing the job and becoming accustomed to doing it would be best), but being stronger obviously makes moving thing that has weight easier.

I mean this isn't really a controversial or debatable subject honestly. It's the same as a runner who won't fatigue as quick doing something like shoveling snow for a long period of time. It doesn't mean he's going to be the best at shoveling snow, but his endurance will likely be better than if he didn't run. Gaining any attribute through training (strength, muscle endurance, cardio, flexibility, etc.) is going to have some benefit to tasks you run into in life.

having strength beats not having strength

for self defense, looks, health and doing phisical tasks

I think there is no unfunctional movement unless you do one of those viral r*etard wtf made up excercises.

I think every excercise improves cardio strength and movement.

Just some are more relevant to your goals

Also the guy doing the big three lifts, in a manner where he doesn´t injure himself, is gonna be stronger more athletic then the guy doing mostly easy cable triceps pulls and similar easy stuff, not all machines are easy, not all hard excercises are full body but you know these guys standing around talking doing one hour of cable isolation, like a heavy squat will kick your ass always more then a heavy biceps cable pull up, matter of fact a curl or dumbbell free weight works you better then a standing cable biceps pull.

See bodybuilding or esthetical goals are allowed in the diet forum but not here, paradoxical, it´s 1 forum.

Being a obese powerlifter, strong, is allowed though that would never work in mma
Off the top of my head: Roy Nelson, Fedor, Barnett, Cormier, Hunt.

Lmk if you want more.

Off the top of my head: Roy Nelson, Fedor, Barnett, Cormier, Hunt.

Lmk if you want more.

you mean "only examples I can ever think off"

Fedor ?

2550507-fedor.jpg

ALso I said "Obese powerlifter", not higher body fat HW mma fighter with a black belt level skill in every martial art

Last edited:
Strength what?

Peak, endurance, power?
Strength is generally accepted as the maximum amount of force that can be generated, without regard to how many consecutive times you can generate that force. Powerlifting and Weightlifting are good examples. In other words, "strength-endurance" is irrelevant to a discussion about who is the strongest.

Strength is generally accepted as the maximum amount of force that can be generated, without regard to how many consecutive times you can generate that force. Powerlifting and Weightlifting are good examples. In other words, "strength-endurance" is irrelevant to a discussion about who is the strongest.

But this isn't a discussion about who is the strongest.

Is that why world's strongest man competitions include many events that require muscular endurance?

I think we all know that interpretation of what strength is, is subjective.

Is that why world's strongest man competitions include many events that require muscular endurance?

I think we all know that interpretation of what strength is, is subjective.
WSM is a strength sport; it doesn't literally mean the "strongest", though. We can argue semantics all day. But the stronger guy is always the stronger guy, independent of endurance. WSM is essentially a contest of whom has the most endurance among a group of freakishly strong individuals.

No, that's not what we were discussing. Reread the responses to your posts ITT.

Well, I know what the fuck I am discussing - and it is relevant to this thread. If you want to discuss something else, go start a fucking thread.

Well, I know what the fuck I am discussing - and it is relevant to this thread. If you want to discuss something else, go start a fucking thread.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuckety fuck. fuck.

That's my fucking gimmick in this forum, ya goober.

So glad you posted this hahahah that guy is a freak though, but still possible if you train for it.
I don't know where this idea of lifters not doing pullups is coming from, every serious lifter does them. Its the vertical pull version of BB bent rows. Even 5x5 has pullups and dips listed in the program for accessory work.

I don't know where this idea of lifters not doing pullups is coming from, every serious lifter does them. Its the vertical pull version of BB bent rows. Even 5x5 has pullups and dips listed in the program for accessory work.

I think because they typically don't show the accessory work? My buddy Jay is a strongman competitor, he only shows his main lifts, or really odd one's or his weird strength gadgets. You wont see him doing pull ups, but he can bust out 15+ at 285lbs.

Fun fact: a pro BBer just broke a power lifting squat record recently. Dat derr functionality. Bet he can't move a couch to save his life though. I have TV's that need moving, often, consecutively even, for endurance.

so you are stornger then Donald Cerrone even though he can kick your ass ina fight 10 out of 10 times ?

where is the definition you use writen down on teh interwebs ?

Back