What is a Kru?

Neuro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been boxing for a while, and I just started BJJ, and now I'm starting Muay Thai as well. I was just wondering what a "Kru" is, specifically. I know that obviously it implies some sort of teacher, but is it a specific rank?

I learn from Coban ("The Crusher" Lookchaomaesaitong). who I think is pretty well-known and respected in the Muay Thai world, is he a Kru? Or is he just a really good fighter? Is there a difference? And is there any formal greeting for a Kru, or any sort of etiquette, etc.?

The translation is "teacher." So anyone who teaches anything is technically a kru. Some schools offer kru certifications, but that's whatever.

Outside of a wai, no special sort of etiquette is expected or required.

Kru= Teacher kind of the general term applied to any Muay Thai coach

Arjarn= Is a master teacher, the best of the best. Apidej Sit Hrun would be considered an Arjarn.

It isn't really official in so far as I understand. You become arjarn when your noteriety takes you above and beyond champions. If it helps you to think of it in Jiu Jitsu terms...

Frank Mir and Rickson Gracie are both professors of Jiu Jitsu, but only Rickson would be considered a true MASTER.

Coban is a fucking warrior anyway... Where does he teach???

Coban is a fucking warrior anyway... Where does he teach???

He teaches at NYJJ (New York Jiu Jitsu) in NYC. He's really cool; I was talking to him about the Dekkers fights the other day.

also see Matt Hughes after his devastating dismantling of Renzo Gracie via leg kicks

.... Really? Are you making that comparison with a straight face? Don't get me wrong I'm a team Renzo student but beating him at the Muay Thai game isn't exactly earth shattering. Honestly comparing Matt Hughes to the likes of Apidej is like comparing water to vintage champagne...

Coban is a former champ and likely will not want you to call him Kru or Ajarn. You mostly get that from white guys who want to sound cool or Thai's who never really accomplished much in Thailand.

I think he mostly speaks Issan Lao, so just Wai and say Sabaidee Bo ... buy him some booze and relax.

.... Really? Are you making that comparison with a straight face? Don't get me wrong I'm a team Renzo student but beating him at the Muay Thai game isn't exactly earth shattering. Honestly comparing Matt Hughes to the likes of Apidej is like comparing water to vintage champagne...

I'm PRETTY SURE that poster was kidding bro. Pretty sure.

Coban is a former champ and likely will not want you to call him Kru or Ajarn. You mostly get that from white guys who want to sound cool or Thai's who never really accomplished much in Thailand.

I think he mostly speaks Issan Lao, so just Wai and say Sabaidee Bo ... buy him some booze and relax.

Yeah, I probably wasn't even going to call him that, until I get to know him better, I was just curious.

What does Wai mean? And Sabaidee Bo?

Thanks for the help bro.

Wai is when you put you hands together and bow. Sabaidee Bo means how are you in Issan Lao.

But, Coban is from Buriram, so his first language might be Khmer.

When you put your hands together for a wai, it's not like you're praying -- your palms aren't supposed to touch. Think of making a lotus flower with your hands.

3 years, 7 months in Thailand says: Those who have spent their time in Thailand know that Thais are very serious about their Kru, Ajarn and Master certificates. Kru means 'teacher' in Thai language but in Muay Thai, a regular teacher is called just 'trainer'. Kru is a step up from trainer.
I have seen many teachers in Thailand having their Muay Thai shorts engraved 'teacher and then their name'. A Kru is a higher grade and more important in the gym than the regular teacher. Most gyms I trained in Thailand, Kru's had their gloves or sheen guards or shorts, or all of the above engraved 'kru and then their name'. Kru often runs the gym if owner or an Ajarn is absent. Also he has a higher pay grade. Ajarn is another step, above trainer and Kru. For non Thais to receive the teacher or Kru certificate, it usually takes between 3 and 6 days of brutal training and testing. You also must be an owner of a Muay Thai gym to apply for this type of certificate and have professional fights record. I have seen group of 4 Kru candidates from Australia in Ultra Fight Gym in Bangkok and they have been massacred in trainings. For breakfast they have been going through fifteen 3 minutes rounds on pads, that's insane. Remember these rounds are ran by Thais, this is not your typical US pad round.
There are Kru and Ajarn testing done in US but I have no idea how legit are these, Thai ones are very legit, just ask them to show you something you have never seen before, they will. Call them Kru and Ajarn if they introduce themselves this way, be respectful. Don't believe me? Go to Thailand, see for yourself. Just my 5 cents. Sawadee Krap.

Usually a white guy who has been to Thailand once and asks people to call him it...

3 years, 7 months in Thailand says: Those who have spent their time in Thailand know that Thais are very serious about their Kru, Ajarn and Master certificates. Kru means 'teacher' in Thai language but in Muay Thai, a regular teacher is called just 'trainer'. Kru is a step up from trainer.
I have seen many teachers in Thailand having their Muay Thai shorts engraved 'teacher and then their name'. A Kru is a higher grade and more important in the gym than the regular teacher. Most gyms I trained in Thailand, Kru's had their gloves or sheen guards or shorts, or all of the above engraved 'kru and then their name'. Kru often runs the gym if owner or an Ajarn is absent. Also he has a higher pay grade. Ajarn is another step, above trainer and Kru. For non Thais to receive the teacher or Kru certificate, it usually takes between 3 and 6 days of brutal training and testing. You also must be an owner of a Muay Thai gym to apply for this type of certificate and have professional fights record. I have seen group of 4 Kru candidates from Australia in Ultra Fight Gym in Bangkok and they have been massacred in trainings. For breakfast they have been going through fifteen 3 minutes rounds on pads, that's insane. Remember these rounds are ran by Thais, this is not your typical US pad round.
There are Kru and Ajarn testing done in US but I have no idea how legit are these, Thai ones are very legit, just ask them to show you something you have never seen before, they will. Call them Kru and Ajarn if they introduce themselves this way, be respectful. Don't believe me? Go to Thailand, see for yourself. Just my 5 cents. Sawadee Krap.

Ultra Fight Gym is master toddy?

I have been to Thailand once or twice and have never seen what you are describing. Maybe I have been training at the wrong gyms?

MuayThaimec is either a troll or a clown. Or Payak.

Gyms aren't legit unless their websites have sections for the "Instructor Course" (but how else are you gonna get access to "internationally recognized and accredited curriculum" -- kids class instructor courses are separate though) as well as "Franchise and TV Shows".

I just google image searched "Kru Certificate" for laughs.

But a pad holder certificate too?

cert-w1024h768.jpg

Back