What is a good brand 4k TV to buy?

Thanks for your help bud. Got home after work and looked at some models, crunched some numbers, did my due diligence and was impressed with Samsungs 6 series models for the price point.

Went to Best Buy today to peruse some floor models. Of course they were out of LGs completely and they didn't have any Toshibas on display either but I don't really want an inferior brand.

Settled on this..

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...t-tv-un50mu6070fxzc-dark-titan/11474515.aspx?

It's $100 over budget but can't really skimp on these things and I am getting a raise soon anyways so meh..

It's just a good sale price and looked nice all around. Not a huge Samsung guy but I can't really say anything bad about them either.

Rtings.com said it was a good gaming and hdr gaming panel too relatively at this price point, which would have been a deal breaker for me.

I was going to come back and tell you not to even buy a tv at that price and save a little more but you found a better one. I cant stand the thought of someone owning a 43inch tv, it hurts my soul.

As far as the 60hz issue, its not just about gaming but motion blur for sports as well. The motion interpolation technology is supposed to help bridge the gap between frames and help fix that issue. I cant say Ive heard much about motion blur lately so im not sure how big of an issue it still is.

As long as youre happy with the TV thsts all that really matters

LG OLED - #1
Samsung OLED - #2 (close)
If budget is a problem Vizio actually makes some very impressive units

As a longtime Panny plasma guy, it's going to be Panasonic that actually brings me into this tech. As of now, their OLED is stupidly expensive so I may wait another year or two, but that company made me a loyal consumer when it comes to large display panels.

In the meantime I use my Sony projector. It's going to be hard going from a 150in screen to a 70in when I finally pull the trigger on OLED. But I am well aware that my projector has notwhere near the visual fidelity of a Panny OLED.

That said, 150in is fuckin awesome!
XJ9lGGy.jpg

I was going to come back and tell you not to even buy a tv at that price and save a little more but you found a better one. I cant stand the thought of someone owning a 43inch tv, it hurts my soul.

As far as the 60hz issue, its not just about gaming but motion blur for sports as well. The motion interpolation technology is supposed to help bridge the gap between frames and help fix that issue. I cant say Ive heard much about motion blur lately so im not sure how big of an issue it still is.

As long as youre happy with the TV thsts all that really matters
FUCK motion interpolation.

I hope the font and sizing conveys how I feel about this as succinctly as possible. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck FUUUUUUUUUUUCK interpolation!!! This is the "soap opera effect", it's turned on automatically by default on almost all HDTVs and Smart TVs today, and it's destroying the modern consumer's eye; his ability to perceive what looks good-- what brings fidelity to an image. It's hot garbage.

It's so freaking bad. It was meant to simulate the heightened smoothness of video natively shot in 60fps back when 24fps was the standard (then later 30fps), but of course, software solutions like that are horseshit 95% of the time. You can't cheat inferior hardware. As someone who grew up in the era of 24fps movies, I greatly prefer watching 24fps video in its native form. It looks great. Your mind fills in the gaps of the frames far more intelligently than some dumbass algorithm. You turn on interpolation and suddenly it looks like a cheap Mexican soap opera shot on some low-end modern day handheld home camcorder.

One of the movies in which this effect was most apparent when the technology was first getting pushed was Elysium. If you have a TV with interpolation, try it with and without. Usually, if you can't figure out how to turn it off manually, there's a "Natural" Preset or something like that which turns it off completely (the "Sports" preset will have it cranked up).

Back