What if PRIME Shogun vs jon Jones???

I hate Jones but...Jones. Idk why people thibk "pride rules" is some type of trump card. A person like Jones will take you down and knee your skull in

I hate Jones but...Jones. Idk why people thibk "pride rules" is some type of trump card. A person like Jones will take you down and knee your skull in

He doesn't really need them but Jon Jones without any elbows would be missing something.

True, but he showcased some good ground game though... Leglocks, kneebar, even an omoplata...
He still found a way to win but yeah, even on commentary they were saying he looked awful. It's incredible how bad those acl injuries fucked up his speed and cardio. He gradually got better at working around it, but he had to change up his whole game.

Massive respect on still becoming a world champion so far removed from his prime. A really amazing accomplishment that he doesn't get enough respect for.

PRIME Shogun = Pre Knee surgery + PRIDE rules (Soccer kicks, stomps.. etc)

tumblr_ngs7672EmW1u2ragso1_500.gif
Delete your shit account

Shogun was 29 when Jones beat him. Every title defense he's had except Gus had been against someone in their 30's. Yet Shogun's the one who people wish had faced Jones in their "prime" cause that Pride nostalgia feeling just wasn't there.

Pride fans got to stop moving around people's primes to what fits their narratives. With Fedor you can get away with it cause he was in his mid 30's and in other sports that is pushing it. Yes I know he had surgery, dudes still as good as he was, he's just fighting better people and the Pride rules makes anyone look relatively boring without them. But let's say surgery made Shogun the Shogun of your imagination what is that going to do to stop Jones from flying into the dude? Doesn't erase the size disadvantages.

Something people don't mention is that when Shogun started fighting he was large for a LHW. Now he's fighting people who are bigger than him. Guy gets props for staying at 205 like a boss.

Last edited:
shogun.gif~original

Shogun cannot physically do this anymore.

Last edited:
There's no way "prime" Shogun could have beaten a roided Jones.

I’m so sick of you Pride kids always trying to make it seem like a knee surgery is the definitive end to a career just so you could find an excuse for your favorite fighter

Many athletes have came back from knee surgeries and been successful
If you actually watch sports you'd know that once an athlete has surgery on their ACL when they're around 30 the likelihood of them coming back to full form is incredibly minute. They can still compete, but they aren't completely what they were.

The most stark example of this I can think of is Jamaal Charles.
And because every single stat in football is tracked it's easier to show the athletes decline.

So you're asking who wins between juiced Jones and Juiced Shogun.

Juiced Jones wins 10/10 times. I think PRIDE Shogun does better against a younger Jones than he does against the monster that DC faced twice, but he still loses decisively.

You mean that fraud pro wrestling PED org? Jones would have kneed Rua's head into the matt while having top control, you'd want Rua to die or what.

Oh please.

The 2005 Shogun who had that incredible gp run would’ve been competitive with anyone. The guy was a tornado.

I’d put my money on 2005 MW GP Shogun to beat Jon Jones. Would be a grueling fight but with stomps, soccer kicks, knees on grounded opponent Shogun was the best at that vicious aggressive kill or be killed chute box style. Wand was amazing at it too but Shogun implemented that style like no other before or after him.
The boy was a killer & at that time the best in the world at MW/LHW(199/205). Once his knees took a shit he was never the same. Plus him dislocating his elbow in the Coleman fight played a huge role in stopping the momentum of his ferocious dominance. I personally think he MIGHT have had the one greatest & hardest lineup of opponents faced & defeated of any mma fighter ever along that two year span 2005-2007.

I watched every pride fc via ppv since the Royce vs Sak fight & what a time to be alive! To see all those fights somewhat live(one day delay, and would avoid internet at all costs until PPV was over), for me, was a huge highlight of my life! Will never forget it!

Another Pride circle jerk where their favorite fighters get a magical boost in performance by using the word prime.

Any version of Shogun gets ruined by Jones, and a number of other UFC LHWs in history as well.

I think a lot of people here have no idea who the fighters of yesteryear were.

They just think of their recent fights and automatically think the younger version is the same guy.

29 year old LHW Champ Shogun who Knocked out Machida, after getting screwed by decision the first time is not in his prime? Good god some of you Pride fanboys live in an alternate universe..

Sherdog is batshit crazy when it comes to certain Pride fighters. Shogun was in his 20's when he fought Bones. <45> "But...but...knee surgery!!!" So what he had knee surgery, athletes in all sports have knee surgeries.

"But...but...knee surgery!!!" So what he had knee surgery, athletes in all sports have knee surgeries.
Only in MMA threads do fans think ACL surgeries don't matter lol
Watch other sports.

I don't really care, or have an opinion, on who would win in this hypothetical. But the ignorance MMA fans have regarding surgeries in sports boggles my mind.

Yeah, this time jones can juice but will not be cheating. He will fight another fighter in the same condition.. not a clean fighter.

Hope jones has the balls to take the fight without having an advantage.

Another huge misunderstanding about PED use. Just because a fighter is on PEDs in the UFC (which Jones obviously is) doesn’t mean he’s not still restrained in many aspects. Testing can limit which drugs he takes, how much and when. No testing at all and he would ramp up use substantially. The difference between being on PEDs and getting around USADA and being on PEDs in organization that doesn’t test for them is night and day. Jones would be an entirely different fighter if he didn’t have to worry about USADA.

Back