What if MMA had a season like ball sports?

What if they wore big helmets and shoulder pads?

They tried that move in golf.
Very few care about who wins the “Fed-Ex Cup” and the playoffs.

The majors is all that matters.

Obviously the sport would have events year round (minor leagues), but there would be a season where the top fighters contested for the belt

Part of what makes nfl, nba, or especially the world cup so big.. Is there is an end to the season and you are done until next year.

Or the next 4 years for football

Ufc has obviously shown they cant do 12 ppvs a year and draw.. And boxing cant either. Its 2 or 3 big events a year for both sports.

I think they need to follow the other sucessful sports and implement a season
I've thought about this but I think the main reason it would be difficult would be injuries. Maybe if the UFC season was allowed to last longer than a year to ensure certain matchups take place....but I still don't see that better than what we have now. When it really comes down to it, most fans want to see the top guys fighting against each other. I don't think we want to see the top fighter going up against a low level guy during a "season" and risking a year ending injury.

Seasons don't work when everyone gets injured and you have to find replacements all the time.

Lately, it feels like it is off-season with so many cancelled fights due to injuries.

Ask yourself this question as well: what if pro boxers have seasons like ballsports?

More injuries and more concussions than American football.

MMA shares the same quality.

I'm loving the PFL and I think it's the way of the future. I just don't know if PFL will be the ones to make it happen.

Back