What has been your worst sparring injury?

Dislocated elbow by forcing myself out of a kimura hold.
After a week I was already good to go train and fight.

And I once got punched straight on my iron chin and the right side of my jaw is clicking when I open and close my mouth.

This thread is a good reminder as to why to wear headgear. Took me a long while to realise it.

I've busted my hand, had tons of black eyes and bloody noses.

Accidents happen all the time, though. Buddy of mine had his cheek fractured while playing a tag like sparring game and can never box again.

Strangely, I haven't had many bad injuries in boxing sparring other than the usual black eye or sprained wrist (from punching wrong). Overall, I've experienced less than pain in boxing than in Judo. I've seen guys get their noses or jaws broken from sparring though.

Dislocated shoulder multiple times -- Lost count of how many. Last time couldn't get it to go back in, had to go to the ER to have them pop it back in. Later had to have surgery to repair it because the tendons were all destroyed from all the dislocations.

This thread is a good reminder as to why to wear headgear. Took me a long while to realise it.

I've busted my hand, had tons of black eyes and bloody noses.

Accidents happen all the time, though. Buddy of mine had his cheek fractured while playing a tag like sparring game and can never box again.

Why can't he box again? It would of had to be an absolutely terrible fracture to stop him from sparring again.

Dislocated my knee cap, thats really the only thing Ive done. It happened before when I was playing football in high school so cant fault my partner for that, was just a trip gone wrong.

Broken ribs, ko'd(falling on the ropes woke me up lol), damaged ligaments in my foot and most recently chipped my tibia

shit happens, but thank fuck for the NHS lol

From sparring? 2 displaced vertebrae in my neck from getting thrown on my head.

Bleeding noses, bruises and the occasional sprained wrist/ankle.

I never spar without my mouthguard, headgear or groin protector and it has paid off.

Sprained MCL from sparring (kickboxing) an uncoordinated , heavier goofball.

Smashed my left hand (boxing) on some even heavier mma guy's dome (210-220ish to my 155).
That injury complicated some older injuries on that same hand and put me out from pretty much mid-nov 2011 to about August 2012.

FML

Last edited:
Nothing too serious, bruised ribbs and 6 dislocated shoulders and a small fracture on my right hand

Wish I took a picture. About 5 years ago I got scissor sweeped over my left ankle. It didn't break, but it swelled up about double size and took me close to a year before I could jump on it without pain, and another year before I could kick with that foot and not hurt it.

Second worst, I took a full powered punch to the face by a guy visiting our gym, during small glove sparring without headgear (thought we were going light). He broke a facial bone near my nose and gave me ra**** eyes. Good times.

It was a smoker injury but torn bicep tendon from a sloppy left hook

On a side note , the most curious (and satisfying) injury I gave was sparring this one guy , I gave him whiplash by repeatedly ramrodding him with a stiff jab for two rounds .

Oh and once a guy pulled his bicep(?) muscle after i made him miss repeatedly.

Hate to say it but once you've dislocated a shoulder , it just gets easier n easier .....plus the repetitive shoulder trauma that boxing gives......

Sucks , my man.

Back