What happens when you are knocked out?

Jimmy Cerra

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
What happens when you are knocked out? Like what kind of damage is requried for a knock out? Are there different types of knock outs? Are there different causes? (I heard once that hitting the right spot on a certain artery causes rapid pressure changes which results in unconsciousness. Is that true?) How do they compare with a blood choke? What kind of short-term and long-term damage can result?

The brain in the head suspended in a kind of fluid. From the brain and through this fluid run many blood vessels and other things besides. When the head is violently struck, the brain is accelerated and moves a few millimetres. This causes delicate blood vessels to stretch slightly causing them to swell and contract.

The brain is the only part of your body that has a constant supply of blood. In a knock out the brain turns off some of its functions in order to prevent further disruption to its blood supply. Its a kind of protective mechanism for the organ.

Reduced blood supply even for short periods of time can cause brain damage. Blood chokes in ju-jitsu for example, can cause oxygen deficits in parts of the brain and eventually cause brain damage. However ju jitsu players dont make a habit of getting choked out. A more ready example of brain damage due to blood chokes can be found amongst those that practice asphixia as a sexual act. It is when a couple/group have sex whilst some/all of the members are being choked or suffocated to or just before the point they lose consciousness.

Little is understood about how the brain operates with regards to healing but it is widely agreed that the brain is too complex to heal itself in most parts although some areas have demonstrated ability to regenerate.

If you are ever knocked out a proper medical investigation has to be carried out to determine the extent of the damage. Concussion is usually accompanied by other brain damage. It is imperative that the brain is not irritated for an extended period of time after an injury otherwise their is the high risk of accumulating brain injury.

It is said the most common cause of brain damage in boxing isn't the knock out but the receiving of many smaller blows for an extended period of time.

Now, I've heard of another type of knock out which is kind of synonymous to fainting which occurs when there is a large nervous stimulation. For example, if you have ever been operated on without general anaesthetic you might have fainted due to this effect. Or reportedly being kicked in the testicles can cause loss of consciousness.
Such a point is supposed to exist under the jaw joint. Hitting the jaw where it joins the skull is suppose to pinch a large nerve centre which is so excrutiating that the subject losses consciousness but I have not seen demonstration of this.

Knockout is most commonly caused by striking the jaw because it acts as a mechanical joint hinged on the neck that multiples the force applied to it on the brain by rotating the head and suddenly stopping.

I'd like to ask a few questions aswell please.
Has anybody ever been knocked-out?
What does it feel like?
What is the feeling after?
What does recovery feel like?
Have you been knocked out thereafter? .. Same questinos as above for the second incident.

Many thanks in advance for all those that answer.

Hope the reply was useful although it is incomplete. Search for more information in google.com. Try using the google scholar feature to find academic essays on the subject.

Irko

it's like your standing you can see everything and then i saw the ground coming at me the next thing i know i see like four people in my face asking me was i alright, i didn't know where the hell i was, not too bad cause i got knocked out on a slam, but i don't recommend getting knocked out to anyone

Thanks Irko! What kind of fuckers like being choked out during sex? That's messed up!

I got knocked out by a big left hook I didn't see coming. To me it was the softest punch I ever felt. Of course I didn't really feel it, as I got up from the floor during the count I knew I had been hit but hadn't felt it. I maintain that I have been hit harder in sparring but this one caught me blind and right on the jaw.

Anyhow I've seen the tape, I beat the count and raised my hands but the ref waved me off. Good for me as I don't remember leaving the ring or going up to the dressing room. The memories of entering the ring and the fight up until getting hit all came flooding back in the dressing room, almost like I remembered a dream. However I never remembered leaving the ring. That is scary.

Frodo said:
Thanks Irko! What kind of fuckers like being choked out during sex? That's messed up!

in japan, some hookers put their faces underwater while having sex, making the body go into convulsions...they charge alot extra i assume.

Irko said:
I'd like to ask a few questions aswell please.
Has anybody ever been knocked-out?
What does it feel like?
What is the feeling after?
What does recovery feel like?
Have you been knocked out thereafter? .. Same questinos as above for the second incident.

Many thanks in advance for all those that answer.

Hope the reply was useful although it is incomplete. Search for more information in google.com. Try using the google scholar feature to find academic essays on the subject.

Irko

"What does it feel like?"

I was taught in a psychology course that a person doesn't usually remember being knocked out because it takes real time (a second or two) for memory to be recorded in the brain, and this process is stopped by the act of being knocked out. So a person's memory ends a second or two before the knockout happens.

This is why the accounts are like the ones in this thread - I remember a punch coming at me, but not being hit, or I remember the ground coming at me, but not actually landing on it.

At my first tourney, a guy from my gym got KO'd, he took a roundhouse that caught him right on the chin. Afterwards, he was pale as hell and he was acting cool about it for the most part but then kinda told me to the side that he couldn't remember the fight like at all.

Back