What happens in LHW if Jones doesn't go into MMA(AU)

ferrisjso

"Melodramatic" Historian
@Gold
Reaction score
UFC LHW era between Chuck and Jones was exciting AF. While Jones ended up beating all the elites and ending this glorious period what do you think would have happened at the division if Jones never emerges and we get another few years of the Rampage/Rashad/Machida/Shogun round robin?

Basically here's how things were before UFC 128.
.Shogun is champ has to fight someone other than Jones cause Shad the number 1 contender was hurt
.Shad's the number 1 contender coming off of a two fight win streak
.Rampage is riding a two fight win streak after his close loss to Rashad
.Machida has just lost to Rampage by controversial decision and is about to retire Randy Couture
.Forrest is on a two fight win streak albeit against washed up fighters in Franklin and Tito.

I honestly have no idea who would have happened in the division if Jones hadn't come along(pretty sure it wouldn't have been Forrest that's for sure). This is about as close to a four way or five way draw as you can get. Already made a thread asking who got the best of this era so decided to make one about what would have happened if this era continued.

I honestly have no idea who would have happened in the division if Jones hadn't come along(pretty sure it wouldn't have been Forrest that's for sure). This is about as close to a four way or five way draw as you can get. Already made a thread asking who got the best of this era so decided to make one about what would have happened if this era continued.

You are acting like Rumble, Cormier and Gus would not have destroyed all those same past generation legends Jones beat.

I suppose that timeline was changed by Future Trunks.
I think the belt would've bounced around a bit, but DC would've still come down and been champ right now. There would be a lot of debates about the best ever (not counting Baroni)

You are acting like Rumble, Cormier and Gus would not have destroyed all those same past generation legends Jones beat.

Still though it would have been several more years until they all came around. DC and Rumble became LHW's in 2014, Gus didn't get his title shot until late 2013. Shad also was on the level of those fighters until his injury.

So that leaves a 2-3 year window where this picture has largely the same fighters. Interested in who you think takes over as champ from that generation too(clearly will disagree with all the DC people as I think DC is faring as well as Shad would have without his injury). Who would have the belt today?

Rampage lost a very very decisive decision to Rashad, in no way was that a close fight, Rampage had 30 seconds of success in that one sided ass whooping.

The real answer is Lil Nog.

Gus, DC and Gus would have been contenders and DC would be current champ, having cleared out the division if he got a 2nd win over Gus. Bader and Davis might also have stayed in the UFC, but would have also been beaten by DC, IMO.

Basically, as Jones said, it's unfortunate for DC that he's fighting in the Bones era because he'd be the best right now.

<DCrying>

UFC LHW era between Chuck and Jones was exciting AF. While Jones ended up beating all the elites and ending this glorious period what do you think would have happened at the division if Jones never emerges and we get another few years of the Rampage/Rashad/Machida/Shogun round robin?

.Shogun is champ has to fight someone other than Jones cause Shad the number 1 contender was hurt
.Machida has just lost to Rampage by controversial decision and is about to retire Randy Couture
.Forrest is on a two fight win streak albeit against washed up fighters in Franklin and Tito.

Cool Theoretical piece. But you're also failing to mention the 9,000 megaton Pink Purple Green Elephant Gorilla Hybrid in the room or as we've come to know him by his other name "USADA." I was the biggest Shogun, Rampage and Machida fan back in the day since Pride and K-1 days to be precise. I found Suga Shad to be an entertaining fighter too. But I've since come to terms with the possibility that at least two out of the light heavyweight greats mentioned (most likely Shogun and Machida, maybe even Page and Chuck) were probably on the sauce for half or more of their career. Especially while fighting in Japan organizations. USADA didn't really start making its impact until mid to tail end of 2015 when we really started noticing differences in fighters and more were getting caught. Even the ones managing to not get busted didn't seem the same. I think Shogun could have held the title a little bit longer but boxer Page might have beaten him with boxing if he fought smart. Shad too. Ultimately, USADA would have won in the end anyway. At least until Rumble and DC and them came along.

The bet would have bounced around between Machida and Shogun, and we'd have called it the greatest sporting rivalry of modern times.

It would have made the division way more competitive.

Cormier still would've came in a wrecked shop. And probably be deemed as the GOAT. (Rightfully so imo) it really is a shame Cormier exists in the same era as Jones.

Rua destroys Jackson the bully/quitter again. Rashad may hold him down for a while but not long enough, Rua would have finished him and his weak chin inside of 25 minutes. He already had Machida's number and Forrest would await the same beatdown.

I think Shogun would reign for some time but Hendo would still be a problem. But since he didn't take the damage from Jones since Jones doesn't exist, Rua would have enough in the tank to win that first fight against Hendo.

Basicely Shogun would keep the title untill Gus/AJ/DC come along.

The title would probably keep changing hands between other top guys at the time.

And we could've got Shogun vs. Rampage 2, Machida 3, and Rashad. + other combinations Also with Gus, Glover, DC, Rumble, etc. joining in the mix later.

Franklin never was washed up. Forrest was WAY bigger than Rich and was able to just wall and stall the entire "fight"

If jones never came along, Gus would have beem champion, followed by rumble than Cormier.

daniel-cormier-ufc-1872.jpg

Back