What happened to this forum?

I'm planning on starting my training log next week after my bjj competition finished, but based on the regulations of July 2018 only yellow belts can create threads and I've just joined.

Posting threads or not, Im gonna start the log next week on my blog and maybe post some links. (If it is not against the rules lol) It is going to be an experiment with the mixture of gymnast strength elements, the good old Big Three (deadlift, squat, bench) and plyometrics broken down into 3 or 4 phases.

I'm planning on starting my training log next week after my bjj competition finished, but based on the regulations of July 2018 only yellow belts can create threads and I've just joined.

Posting threads or not, Im gonna start the log next week on my blog and maybe post some links. (If it is not against the rules lol) It is going to be an experiment with the mixture of gymnast strength elements, the good old Big Three (deadlift, squat, bench) and plyometrics broken down into 3 or 4 phases.
I guess this is exactly why white belts are not allowed to start threads.

Nobody cares about attention whores.

I guess there is just that much that can be posted about strength and conditioning.

Sure there is a lot of research and information that can be discussed, but in the end ot boils down to consistency and not getting injured, combined with good food and rest.

I myself am not a strong lifter at all, but I like to exercise and my log is all about counting my own workouts and experimenting.

I guess this is exactly why white belts are not allowed to start threads.

Nobody cares about attention whores.

What makes me an attention whore? I just wanna make a log about a method Ive been thinking about for a while and see where it takes me regarding my strength progression and mobility.

What makes me an attention whore? I just wanna make a log about a method Ive been thinking about for a while and see where it takes me regarding my strength progression and mobility.

Nobody cares about you. What they care about is if you bring something to the table, a new look or thought. Make your log, blog whatever but don't expect anyone to give a single shit.

Nobody cares about you. What they care about is if you bring something to the table, a new look or thought. Make your log, blog whatever but don't expect anyone to give a single shit.
you are right sir.

Has anyone mentioned how much more shit there is to find on the internet now? You've got so much info on media sites like youtube and instagram as well as more forum sites such as reddit. I mean there are a lot of reasons the forum died out, but that's definitely a factor. I haven't been on the "new forum" for an extremely long time, but I don't think it was very lively with lifting talk. I don't think many people that lift for a hobby are just going to be talking about lifting day in and day out.

The fact that your post had nothing to do with the thread topic, was not responding to anything anyone else said, and it was all talking about yourself.

To be frank, the fact that you cannot realise why that was an attention-whoring post, even after it was pointed out as such, is quite astounding.

The fact that your post had nothing to do with the thread topic, was not responding to anything anyone else said, and it was all talking about yourself.

To be frank, the fact that you cannot realise why that was an attention-whoring post, even after it was pointed out as such, is quite astounding.
Shit I might have misinterpretted something from the beggining, my bad.

Has anyone mentioned how much more shit there is to find on the internet now? You've got so much info on media sites like youtube and instagram as well as more forum sites such as reddit. I mean there are a lot of reasons the forum died out, but that's definitely a factor. I haven't been on the "new forum" for an extremely long time, but I don't think it was very lively with lifting talk. I don't think many people that lift for a hobby are just going to be talking about lifting day in and day out.

this is very true. when i started looking online for info about lifting in ca. 2003, sherdog was one of the rare places where people were talking about powerlifting, old school/dinosaur training, grip training and other topics you couldn't find anything on bb.com et al.

I've been here since like 2002.
My old training log got deleted because I'd had it so long (and was updating it every day).

People move on, interests change, home life changes.

Also, other than Phlog, I haven't seen any of your names before.

Also consider the amount of information available now, good information, compared to when we signed up. Back then there was very little combat sport oriented training information, it was either powerlifting or bodybuilding. What did we have for resources? Ross Enamait was great but mainly focused on bodyweight training. Matt Furey? Dude was crazy. All we really had was each other to sort through the BS and learn how to adapt powerlifting as a way to develop a strength base for combat sports.

Nowadays there is better information about the fundamentals of strength training and training for sport. So much of our time was spent understanding and promoting the basics as well as how to strength train, do conditioning, and train for sport.

This forum had a strong "tough-love" culture. For instance, people asking questions addressed in the stickies got a pretty rough handling, but if they showed sincere interest people would get out of their way to help. It also had a strong sense of a community, with many off-topic posts addressed to specific members etc. And it was, for the most part, a self-managed commune (mods were picked from long-term active regulars of the subforum).

All three of the above key characteristics were altered after the change of sherdog.com ownership (more censorship, less self-censorship, no off-topic threads, moderation by people who had little to no connection with the "community"). Before those changes, there was a distinct culture and the sense of community was strong enough to sustain the subforum (members stayed for longer, posted more, and those who grew out of it and left were eventually replaced by other equally committed members).

I think this was the main thing that over the course of a couple of years killed this subforum. Ironically, the changes that killed its traffic were made in order to make the subforum more attractive to the "general public" and thus become more popular.

There was also a strong connection with the Diet and Supplement forum. Back in the day there were several med students and an advanced paramedic in the D&S talking real science. It was great dog piling on supplement shills with their fake studies and bogus claims. I haven't even looked in that forum for awhile but it lost its appeal 10 years ago.

but still, if i have a tricky question about lifting or diet, i know there are people on the sherdog forum who know no bs info or even have first person experience about it. i sometimes use google to look up older sherdog threads about things i want to know or i forgot over the years (because the forums search function isn't the best or i am just too dumb to use it correctly). it still is a easy accessible pool of experts for special topics. either now or via past threads.

Please hit me with a PM with a link to the other place. I learned so much from you guys over the years.
He was not chosen!

Also, What Miaou said was pretty much it. Even the "Other Forum" got a bit quiet. I haven't been there in a long time, so maybe things are different, but most moved on to a messenger group of some sort that I wasn't chosen for :*(

Partly, but I noticed when Eric Brown was gone and Aidan (Tosa) ) left, this place went very quiet that month and onward.

Back