What happened to this forum?

What's this Eric Brown getting exposed stuff?!

I haven't been in this subforum since like 2016ish.

It was the culture that this forum had that killed it. It was the powerliftings bro culture equivalent. You couldn't even mutter the words hypertrophy in here because Urban or someone else at the time would lambast you for talking about things like "biceps" and "bodybuilding".

I remember ths one time back then,some new poster posted video of himself doing DB hammer hammer curls with like 110lb DBs and he weighed no more than 180lbs. Sure it was misplaced in this forum but still it's rather impressive. Needless to say everyone just sort of ripped on him because it wasn't "deadlifts yo"

Then the raw powerlifting scene had a revival, Westside and being a fat fuck wasn't the end all be all of ideologies and YouTube was created which slowly challenged and eroded the dogma preached around here.

I was here in the beginning and that's what drove me off so it's just my opinion.

It was the culture that this forum had that killed it. It was the powerliftings bro culture equivalent. You couldn't even mutter the words hypertrophy in here because Urban or someone else at the time would lambast you for talking about things like "biceps" and "bodybuilding".

I remember ths one time back then,some new poster posted video of himself doing DB hammer hammer curls with like 110lb DBs and he weighed no more than 180lbs. Sure it was misplaced in this forum but still it's rather impressive. Needless to say everyone just sort of ripped on him because it wasn't "deadlifts yo"

Then the raw powerlifting scene had a revival, Westside and being a fat fuck wasn't the end all be all of ideologies and YouTube was created which slowly challenged and eroded the dogma preached around here.

I was here in the beginning and that's what drove me off so it's just my opinion.
I've been around the forum for awhile, and I don't ever remember westside ideologies being popular with anyone here. There were few to none geared powerlifters in the forum, most of the regulars lifted raw. The "raw revival" had little effect on the forum.

I've been around the forum for awhile, and I don't ever remember westside ideologies being popular with anyone here. There were few to none geared powerlifters in the forum, most of the regulars lifted raw. The "raw revival" had little effect on the forum.
It's just my interpretation/opinion. The culture on this forum was not conducive to longevity and as the powerlifting scene integrated more with bodybuilding and people like Dan green and Stan efferding started to pop up it was appearent that alot of the dogma preached around here was just bull shit.

I've been here since 04 so I'm really comparing it to around that time.

Over the years this forum has had, and chased off some extremely strong lifters. All of Chris Duffin, Pete Rubish, and Eric Lilliebridge posted here at one time or another. I remember Chris and Eric being chided for ''high'' 800 lb squats.

There was a splintering when a lot of the elder statesmen left to go to a different forum following the lead of chaos mittens. I stopped lurking when the forum went full ''golden one'' in 2016 and came back recently after it was dead as a doornail.

You’re out in general population? Don’t be salty about getting sodomized in the OT lol. If you’re nice I’ll give you back your scalp that smells like rancid olive oil. I might even wash it and sew back on for you.

I've been here since like 2002.
My old training log got deleted because I'd had it so long (and was updating it every day).

People move on, interests change, home life changes.

Also, other than Phlog, I haven't seen any of your names before.
To be fair. I don’t recognize yours either.

You’re out in general population? Don’t be salty about getting sodomized in the OT lol. If you’re nice I’ll give you back your scalp that smells like rancid olive oil. I might even wash it and sew back on for you.

you self delusional troll are lucky that I'm not a rat to report your post

But seriously @georgegreece I’ll have a row with you any time in the OT. Let’s let the civilized folk banter peacefully here.

lol how many people got injured?

To be fair. I don’t recognize yours either.

Fair one. I sort of lost touch with posting when I starting working full time in 2006.
Which is why my training log doesn't often get updated.

Fair one. I sort of lost touch with posting when I starting working full time in 2006.
Which is why my training log doesn't often get updated.
I have seen you before, many times actually. I changed my name though and wasn't a significant poster when i was younger.

What's this Eric Brown getting exposed stuff?!

I haven't been in this subforum since like 2016ish.

Some dude who was scamming everyone about his credentials etc, had a wife or fiance who posted online about it, he's in prison for fraud now I think? I barely caught it but it was big news at the time.

This forum had a strong "tough-love" culture. For instance, people asking questions addressed in the stickies got a pretty rough handling, but if they showed sincere interest people would get out of their way to help. It also had a strong sense of a community, with many off-topic posts addressed to specific members etc. And it was, for the most part, a self-managed commune (mods were picked from long-term active regulars of the subforum).

All three of the above key characteristics were altered after the change of sherdog.com ownership (more censorship, less self-censorship, no off-topic threads, moderation by people who had little to no connection with the "community"). Before those changes, there was a distinct culture and the sense of community was strong enough to sustain the subforum (members stayed for longer, posted more, and those who grew out of it and left were eventually replaced by other equally committed members).

I think this was the main thing that over the course of a couple of years killed this subforum. Ironically, the changes that killed its traffic were made in order to make the subforum more attractive to the "general public" and thus become more popular.

To echo the above;
I remember in the first 3-4 years of me consistently posting here, I remember I and many others would heap the disdain on people who wanted to be spoon fed. However, if those people, or others coming in, showed a modicum of research or time put in, people in the forum would go out of their way in order to help.

I wrote a long response I think that may be still stickied. I couldn't even remember posting it, but it was maybe a page about cutting weight and training.

The likes of carnal salvation, lusst, madmick and urban were here. The first and last being here before I joined. Urban was a moderator in like 2008 I think.

Edit; I forgot Jarfi was a moderator when I joined here as well back in the day.

I have seen you before, many times actually. I changed my name though and wasn't a significant poster when i was younger.
What was your name before? Did we interact?

Last edited:
I don't think the Eric thing had any impact. I think it is just forum fatigue. There are only so many questions that you can answer about basic S&C, and in truth very few of us know more than the basics anyway. For years and years we answered the same questions about building a strength base, high weight versus high reps, hill sprints versus LISS, whether CrossFit is good. And people just got tired. More and more people who used to answer questions, or at least join in threads and make jokes while other people answered questions, moved to the Pub and chatted and bitched about how crap the main forum was. And then people on the Pub got bored and drifted off and did something else.

This happened before, when I started posting in 2010 or 2011 we were at the tail end of a changeover, the old strong as fuck members that Cratos styled himself after were moving over to 'the other forum', but a bunch of new people were coming along- Miaou, Tosa, DrB etc. And a lot of those people lasted a long time. Now most of that generation has left or is just posting in the pub. And unlike the last time, a new group hasn't really come through. There are a few knowledgeable people still posting, like Sano, but it's just a few people rather than a whole bunch.

Please hit me with a PM with a link to the other place. I learned so much from you guys over the years.

Back