...what happened to the 135-pound division?

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I just noticed that I haven't heard and don't know anything about the men's 135-pound division. It still exists right? I just looked it up and apparently Dillashaw is the champion but they fight like once a year and he's trying to fight Mighty Mouse instead?

Did the UFC forget about it?

Dillashaw vs Garbrandt 2 is scheduled for UFC 227.

The Rematch is coming up quick... Then there are a few others contenders waiting their turn.

The 135lb division strikes fear into the hearts of the 125ers. Much like a HS school senior intimidates the freshman, even their champion shutters in fear at the massive size difference.

I miss it. It now consists solely of TJ, Cody Garbrandt, injured Cruz, and injured O'Malley in terms of people with a following. There just isn't as much hype in 135 since Faber left, tbh.

135 has been extremely top heavy lately, but the recent title fights in the division have been as compelling as anything else going on in the sport.

You're right, in the Top 10 at 135 on Caraway and Dodson have fought in 2018.

I can't say I'm super fussed though. Almeida looked promising and fell off. Maybe Moraes will go on a tear; but a lot of those guys aren't very exciting or interesting tbh.

Moraes vs Rivera is soon

Winner of that fight will fight the winner of the TJ/Cody rematch

The word Manlet was invented, that's what happened

Honestly Cruz needs to comeback and save the division. Cody goes a year without defending only to lose it and dillashaw will wait like 8 months until summer to fight...Cruz came back after 3 years and fought 3 times in 10 months

The 135lb division strikes fear into the hearts of the 125ers. Much like a HS school senior intimidates the freshman, even their champion shutters in fear at the massive size difference.

That's because said champ is a window.

I just noticed that I haven't heard and don't know anything about the men's 135-pound division. It still exists right? I just looked it up and apparently Dillashaw is the champion but they fight like once a year and he's trying to fight Mighty Mouse instead?

Did the UFC forget about it?
It turned into a less popular LW or MW situation, with tj v dj happening not happing, top contenders Cruz and cody losing but unwilling to fight unless for titles, Rivera dominant lower compitition and wanting a legit contender fight with cruz/cody/or tj. So nothing has happened since November at the top.

135 has been extremely top heavy lately, but the recent title fights in the division have been as compelling as anything else going on in the sport.
I'd argue that historically, the 135 pound division has consistently delivered the best title fights in the sport.

Having a triangle at the top of a division is so much better than the two man thing like JDS vs Cain or Cormier vs Jones.

A more apt comparison would be 13 year old kids bullying 12 year olds because most of them weigh 135 and 125 lbs respectively.

A more apt comparison would be 13 year old kids bullying 12 year olds because most of them weigh 135 and 125 lbs respectively.

Oh I agree, and that 10lbs would mean next to nothing in an actual fight. However, DJ and all his defenders on here act like there’s worlds of difference in the size of the two.

SO let's make those teens and pre teens to extreme dieting and weight cutting, they'll be rocking those 6 and 7 yo boys every day.

People cut weight to fight. Do you really think 135 and 125 lbs is their walking weight? Lmfao.
Some bw fighters weights 180lbs on vacations...

Back