What happened to Sugar Ray Robinson in the Mayweather Jr GOAT discussion?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by spacetime, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

Dude. I give zero fucks and I’ll happiky catch a beer with you. From what I read you have zip idea where I live and to be honest I give no fucks these days. I know I can hurt people and that doesn’t let me wear kovalevs man bag. We either hug it out or you walk into an ass kicking. I give zero fucks anyway it happens. Get on the hugger team and we can talk stories about what we do to bayley. I’m not a fag and I know what I’m doing, leave it at this and be friends in the forum and talk boxing?

2. proncley

proncley Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

Since you accused me of not going deep enough, feel free to post his resume minus the bum of the month club, so we can see how it looks.

I think many people have a misleading image of Robinson. When you take a closer look and ask yourself: Was he defensively the most gifted?
    Was he the best inside boxer? Was his resume really all that? I'd argue with no to everything.

Secondly I think that many fans rank him at no. 1 just because they see it elsewhere.

Those are basically my points. I don't say he's vastly overrated, but certainly overrated.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  3. proncley

You’re an uncouth imbercile, you can’t get along with people, you can’t function with people. You always try to hurt someone and kill someone. Try to love someone.

4. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

Are you an idiot or are you someone I used to have sexy time with. Take any of my friends and get them to tell you I hurt people. I don’t. I’m a recovering addict who leads a normal life these days. If you want to meet the girl I see these days she’s younger than me and sexier than Sergio. Please stop following me round the forum for no reason. Thanks.

5. proncley

What were you addicted to?

6. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

Why do you care?

7. proncley

C‘mon, open up a bit.

8. The Can Opener

The Can Opener Brown Belt

This is easily the creepiest thread I have ever stumbled upon.

It feels like it's gonna end with one of you missing and the other guy being blamed for it on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries.

[​IMG]

City_Lights and Ultra O’Dia like this.
  9. Hagler

Hagler Man of wealth and taste

What I said is that lots of people went as deep as you did and drew different conclusions. Don't imply that people are stupid because they do not happen to think like you do. Lots of people do believe that the Earth isn't flat, they just processed the evidence for it.

SRR's resume is extremely deep, and you know it. He may not be the very best in every specific area, but the way he mixed it up as a boxer puncher can be considered as unique.

Jhonni5 likes this.
  10. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

11. Sunfish

Sunfish Martinez Belt

I don’t care talking about it but I don’t know why you’re interested. I was a functioning alcoholic and I’m not anymore but one day at a time. You fellas are pretty clear from someone like me. When you wake up in the morning and your first thought isn’t how do I get wasted today. It’s not a cool feeling and I know people
    Say I lack discipline. If I don’t let if affect me I move along, craving for anything isn’t healthy and you will die young.

12. deathstalker

deathstalker Blue Belt

In the top 3 heavyweights of all time for sure. But I would say having him at 6th all time is more than reasonable. He was the most dominant Heavyweight champion of all time reigning 11 years but to me he doesn't have the resume like Robinson, Ali, Armstrong and others have.

13. cocksure

cocksure Red Belt

Mayweather isn't really ever in a sensible GOAT discussion. Top 20? Maybe?

14. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

That's debatable. It's between Benny "The Ghetto Wizard" Leonard & Sugar Ray Robinson. Ali was never truly viewed as the P4P #1 fighter of his era, either. This is a good read.
    Pound-For-Pound: A History

15. spacetime

spacetime Black Belt

He is according to himself:)

16. proncley

A good read, but one sentence stands out for me:

Sounds familiar? The guy who from the past is usually preferred. It's still the same today.

I read severel names in that article that could be called the best ever, Robinson is one of them, but he absolutely doesn't stand out.

And I stand by the opinion that severel boxers who came after Marvin Hagler could potentially beat him.

Think about this: If Leonard never returned to fight Hagler, what would people say today if you asked them if Leonard could have pulled it off?

You'd read and hear things like "Are you crazy? Leonard was three years out, Hagler would have killed him" ... "Hagler was too strong, he would've finished Leonard inside of 5-6 rounds" ... "It would've been a mismatch".

17. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

I get your point. You can chalk that trend up to nostalgic preference.

Gans was universally recognized as the best ever 135'er at the time as Leonard's predecessor. However, the origin of the term "Pound-for-Pound" wasn't traced back to Gans, it was traced back to Leonard (another one of the best ATGs in the division but also P4P recognized). I'm not arguing GOAT here but with which fighter the P4P/PFP term originated, and that's Leonard or Sugar Ray Robinson depending on which historian you ask. Leonard predates Robinson with the term but Robinson had the P4P accolade in a more formal capacity.

Jhonni5 likes this.
  18. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Not at all.

19. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I think Hagler would have wrecked Robinson at 160.

20. Hagler

Hagler Man of wealth and taste

Hagler has a shot, I guess, if he walks down Robinson and makes it a brawl. If he makes it a boxing fight, he's in trouble. He didn't like taller guys who could box.

A key factor is that Robinson has one hell of a chin and he hits pretty hard, while Hagler is a bleeder. I think he may stop Marvin on cuts before Hagler chops him down.