What happened to Renan Barao?

He has the same problems as Hendricks. Destroyed his body with weight cutting.

Also USADA (obligatory)

Nothing happened, that's his problem. Other fighters got better, and newer and better fighters started to take over, but he mostly remained the same. He moves his feet more now, but that's about it. Barao's skills are stuck in the late 2000s or early 2010s at best.

I Think TJ broke him mentally. Stopped believing in himself.
He looked like shit before USADA.

TJ broke him, broke him good...

Mileage. Just like his teammate (or former teammate) Jose aldo. Even though they're not that old there are a lot of miles on those bones...

The two women currently fighting for the belt were both in the division during Ronda's run. The division isn't any more talented now.
They were but they hadn't reached their potential until very recently.

They were but they hadn't reached their potential until very recently.

Nunes has shored up her cardio issues but Pennington isn't that good. She arguably lost to Bethe ffs. The division isn't in any better shape. The only newcomer to make an impact is Shevchenko and she just left.

That overhand right from TJ ended his career

well i think it is safe to say that in his case its USADA who finished his career.

Watching Renan last night honestly made me sad. He is a shell of his former self.

Lots of wear and tear plus not very young for his weight class. I'd imagine he's burned out too

13 years of fighting under his belt, been in wars, been cutting a lot of weight for a long time..

No way that would have a natural toll on his body. MUST BE USADA BECAUSE HE'S BRAZILIAN AND ONLY BRAZILIANS DECLINE POST USADA

He got figured out and lost a lot of confidence.

Got finished by TJ twice and even after the first Dillashaw loss didn't look great against Mitch Gagnon.. Lost to TJ again and went to a decision against Nover, who he looked like shit against

Seems he lost belief in his abilities, that and TJ made him look beatable, giving other guys confidence to beat him

A pretty big weight cut + a lot of fights = an early decline

Dude is early 30's and has 40 fights. Couture (yes I know he started late) retired in his mid 40's with 30 fights.

Back