What happened to all of Aldo’s kicks?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KB Warrior, May 16, 2018.

1. KB Warrior

KB Warrior Brown Belt

Is there any explanation for abandoning a high frequency kicking strategy that was so successful for him earlier in his career? I can’t recall a fighter with such an effective weapon who then fails to use it to this degree.

Cecils Folks and Koro like this.
  2. jpak

jpak Yellow Belt

I know his team said he had an injury, maybe it's been a lingering issue.

Koro likes this.
  3. RawkyMarciano

RawkyMarciano Purple Belt

4. Kaboom

Kaboom Soreen malt loaf belt

His fight is still traveling through the air, after being starched out of him

Megatronlee and RawkyMarciano like this.
  5. ShinyaAokiFan

ShinyaAokiFan Blue Belt

I think part of it was he was aware that he didn’t have a great gas tank and fought more conservative against the best because he would be vulnerable if he didn’t put them away in the earlier rounds.

Megatronlee likes this.
  6. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________

He thinks he's a boxer now.

7. Fight Professor

Fight Professor Gold Belt

Those kicks are far less effective against taller, rangier strikers than short wrestlers and take up a lot of energy.

8. MastiffMike

MastiffMike The BIG dog is here

The only explanation that makes since is an injury. It would explain why he hasn't publicly addressed the issue and why he's still said pre-fight the last couple of fights that he's going back to his kicking game - only to not throw any kicks in the fight.

Whether it be a past injury to his shin/foot or maybe a knee/hip issue, it makes since to not publicly speak about it because why give your opponents more information than you have to. Much like a wrestler saying pre-fight that they're looking for the KO and are going to stand and bang, only to shoot for the TD within the first 30 seconds.

Kicking Aldo was the best Aldo. Aldo at his best is the FW GOAT.

Hopefully he can go back to at least throwing some kicks. Maybe not like in the old days, but at least enough to have a more diverse attack than his current straight up boxing approach.

9. Chain Saw

Chain Saw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

I think he has a knee and back injury.

Both of those will make your kicks much weaker and much harder to throw.

10. Chain Saw

Chain Saw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

Ummm kicks are actually much more dangerous to throw against a wrestler because they can catch them and take you down.

Aldo most likely has a back injury which doesn't allow him to put the same amount of torque in his kicks.

Felipe Soté likes this.
  11. Fight Professor

Fight Professor Gold Belt

Also has one of the best takedown defences in the UFC.

12. Megatronlee

Megatronlee Red Belt

You guys just aren’t paying attention, he can’t kick becusse he was getting smashed in the face every time he tried

13. RawkyMarciano

RawkyMarciano Purple Belt

Megan baby. Why do I love you so much?

14. bigconan

bigconan Silver Belt

Didn't aldo try some leg kicks early on in his 2nd fight with max? I thought he did...only to abandon them, when max kept pressuring him...I think it's an energy thing...definitely...no lingering injury is going to last that long...what sort of injury is going to prevent leg kicks? He moves just fine...so it's not a knee injury...perhaps a shin injury, where he just can't kick with it anymore...but that sort of injury wouldn't last this long...he's gone the last few years without throwing many kicks...

I think just boxing takes much less out of him...so he doesn't gas as fast. remember, this is post usada and no longer using iv to recover....

15. Fatback96

Fatback96 Purple Belt

Kicks take a lot of energy. Also the game has changed, and people counter kicks much better these days.

16. g*r*b

g*r*b Super-Stretch Elastic Waistband

Gone where the woodbine twineth and the whangdoodle mourneth for his firstborn.

17. MastiffMike

MastiffMike The BIG dog is here

I don't buy it being a cardio issue. It could be, I just don't think so.

Maybe Anderson's leg break impacted Aldo mentally? Maybe the fact more and more fighters are learning leg kick defense?

Prior to 212 Aldo had a leg injury. His coach said "Many people asked why he didn’t kicked. Aldo has a leg injury, so he couldn’t throw kicks or run during his entire camp." And then Aldo threw a total of 1 kick the entire fight (which lasted late into the third round). Aldo also has a lingering neck injury - which his coach says is why he "doesn’t accepts fights with less than three months' notice". [SOURCE: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/...uffered-leg-injury-ufc-212-fight-max-holloway]

As for injury, there are a LOT of injuries that linger that could explain his reluctance to utilize kicks. Back, hip, knee, and foot injuries could all impact kicking for years. Aldo injuried his foot prior to UFC 153 and his spine (and shoulder) before UFC 176. He's had a ton of injuries (not always disclosed) and has pulled out of something like 5 title fights due to injuries. Just because he's fighting again doesn't mean he's recovered to be in the same shape/condition that he was pre-injury. There are literally 1,000s of examples where an athlete is never the same after an injury, and IMO that's the case with Aldo. It could be partially mental (from past injuries and the ncrease in number of bad leg breaks), but it certainly involves a past injury component.

18. LukeSkyrocker

LukeSkyrocker Green Belt

TIRteen sayconds

19. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Dancing on the ashes of the World

They ran off in the direction his chin went?

20. DjHnd

DjHnd Green Belt

Still has PTSD from the time he broke his foot kicking KZ