What GSP fights do you find boring?

The Diaz fight was pretty boring but that was mainly nicks fault for turtling like a bitch and giving up early.
I was there for that. After hearing about Diaz's amazing ground game, I was surprised he decided to turtle and be in defensive mode. Nick never attacked from his back once. In Pride he most certainly would have been given a yellow card.

You never heard or saw that happen before? Oh well that changes everything. Apply any context you want.

Shocking the MMA genuis from sherdog is unfamiliar with the tactic of softening up an opponent with strikes when you can't find a submission. I know it's uncommon, but I would have expected you to grasp this rare, odd style of fighting.
Too add to that, Randy Couture was a pioneer in preferring to not pass the guard.

I was there for that. After hearing about Diaz's amazing ground game, I was surprised he decided to turtle and be in defensive mode. Nick never attacked from his back once. In Pride he most certainly would have been given a yellow card.

Diaz is not "daring" or willing to "go to war" unless the odds are in his favor. This guy attacks when the time is right. GSP didn't give him those chances.

You never heard or saw that happen before? Oh well that changes everything. Apply any context you want.

Shocking the MMA genuis from sherdog is unfamiliar with the tactic of softening up an opponent with strikes when you can't find a submission. I know it's uncommon, but I would have expected you to grasp this rare, odd style of fighting.

Do you think GSP and his trainers invented this tactic?

For all 5 rounds?

It was a pathetic how blatantly obvious that they were safely coasting for a decision instead of going for the finish.

For all 5 rounds?

Are you now pretending GSP didn't pass guard for 5 rounds?

Go watch the fight.

Dan Hardy doesn't feel the same way you do. Hardy was the guy who was locking up and trying to survive.

I thought GSP was trying for the sub too much in the Hardy fight. If he mixed his ground and pound up more he may have gotten it.
The Shields fight was a bit disappointing after the big build up and Jake having destroyed Dan Henderson a year previous.
The atmosphere the day of the Diaz fight was electric. The fight was decent, not great. I blame that on Diaz with his 'turtle act' and defence only mode when he was on his back.
I believe a lot of fighters get in the ring with GSP and quickly realize they aren't anywhere the same skill set and simply try and survive. That's why the Fitch fight so so great, he kept coming.

It was a pathetic how blatantly obvious that they were safely coasting for a decision instead of going for the finish.

I was just reading a pbp for this fight, and this comment is even more ridiculous.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/369927

Round 1 GSP takes back, ends round in submission attempt = "St Pierre controls the 1st round even with a submission attempt at the end."

Round 2 GSP gets back again, ends round with elbow strikes - "....starts to use elbows to Hardy’s face as the bell sounds."

Round 3 GSP gets side control, a kimura, a armbar, and ends the round taking his back = "... GSP takes his back but can't do anything with the position as the bell sounds for the end of the round."

Round 4 = GSP gets side, arm bar attempt, ends with another submission attempt = "GSP moves to pass guard and transitions to a kneebar but the bell ends the round."

Round 5, GSP goes for mutitple submission attempts = "Hardy works to get up but cant and GSP stays busy by working submissions. "

It's more and more obvious this poster didn't watch this fight and is summarizing the entire fight off the popular quote "do no pass guard". The suggestion GSP had to stay in guard to "safely coast to a decision" is retarded. GSP was walking and grappling all over Hardy with ease. You don't change this tactic for the security of a decision.

If this is lay and pray, which it is so often categorized as by haters, who isn't lay and praying in MMA today?

I was just reading a pbp for this fight, and this comment is even more ridiculous.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/369927

Round 1 GSP takes back, ends round in submission attempt = "St Pierre controls the 1st round even with a submission attempt at the end."

Round 2 GSP gets back again, ends round with elbow strikes - "....starts to use elbows to Hardy’s face as the bell sounds."

Round 3 GSP gets side control, a kimura, a armbar, and ends the round taking his back = "... GSP takes his back but can't do anything with the position as the bell sounds for the end of the round."

Round 4 = GSP gets side, arm bar attempt, ends with another submission attempt = "GSP moves to pass guard and transitions to a kneebar but the bell ends the round."

Round 5, GSP goes for mutitple submission attempts = "Hardy works to get up but cant and GSP stays busy by working submissions. "

It's more and more obvious this poster didn't watch this fight and is summarizing the entire fight off the popular quote "do no pass guard". The suggestion GSP had to stay in guard to "safely coast to a decision" is retarded. GSP was walking and grappling all over Hardy with ease. You don't change this tactic for the security of a decision.

If this is lay and pray, which it is so often categorized as by haters, who isn't lay and praying in MMA today?

1. It is hilarious that you quote a sentence from a 5 minute round as "evidence".
2. You refuse to address Jackson repeatedly yelling "don't pass his guard".

The simple truth is GSP is by and large a decision fighter since Matt Serra beat his ass and made him tap to strikes.

1. It is hilarious that you quote a sentence from a 5 minute round as "evidence".
2. You refuse to address Jackson repeatedly yelling "don't pass his guard".

I provided a link. It's a summary of the entire fight. Many sites do this. Is it difficult to click? Would you like me to post the entire video from Fight Pass? I bet you don't have an account though.

Jackson yelling do not pass guard does not define the fight. Do you even know when he said this?

GSP passed guard over 20 times, and couldn't finish. The coaching decision to tell GSP to stay in guard is to stop wasting time, hurt his opponent, then stop him. Create new and different lines of attack because what he was doing was going to get a easy W, but not the finish.

Watch the fight and this context doesn't need to be explained. GSP's trainers clearly wanted the finish. Right after the fight they were drilling armbars.

Last edited:
Better question: Which GSP fights do you find NOT boring

The ones in which I learned something - generally how to set up takedowns using strikes, but also how to read opponents motion for a double. GSP had a success rate of 80%, there was always something to learn.

So I guess I found none of them boring. In fact, I re-watch clips from his fights all the time (typically in slow motion) trying to figure out how he does it. I don't think its his physical abilities - others are better pure wrestlers than him. I think his success rate comes from the way he sets up takedowns, and the way he reads his opponents. I'd love to take a seminar from him, but he doesn't go around giving them (unlike say Fedor, who teaches). So watching his fights is the best way to learn.

I have never heard a coach in 25 years of watching mma, other than in this fight, yell "don't pass his guard". For literelly everyone else passing guard gets you into a more dominant position where you can better attempt to finish the fight.

Watch Fedor's fights - very few guard passing attempts. Same for Coleman. Same for Kerr. GSP has done a lot of things, but you can't credit him for the concept of trying to win fights without passing guard - quite a few did it before him.

Is there a fight where GSP got top position hasn't passed guard?
Pretty sure first fight vs. Hughes and Penn, but he wasn’t even a black belt yet at that point. We saw what he did in the rematches once it hit the floor.

I’m such a huge fan that as long as he’s winning, I’m super entertained. If he’s losing, I’m just sad.

Diaz, but it was Diaz's fault for sucking that much.
Hardy is a tough guy, but GSP could have done more.
Shields, even tho Shields is a legend himself.

Those are the 3 I don't like.
And the Fitch Fight was a glorious massacre, the hell is wrong with some of you, guys? Fitch Fight is a classic!

Most of them post serra loss.

Gsp vs striker? Dry hump to UD

GSP cant get him down? Death by jab, inside lowkicks, and superman jab.

Back