What GSP fights do you find boring?

Penn 1 was fun for the first round, but the last two were pretty slow. With Alves, GSP injured his rib, and he mostly controlled the fight from the top without really doing much damage or going for submissions.
Revisionist history. A large part of that fight was on the feet. Most likely because gsp pulled his groin. He still dominated him and dropped him, and was never in danger while fighting hurt.

He won the standup and grappling dominantly, and did more damage. And he pulled his groin in the middle of the fight.

UznzNLR.jpg

I agree with most of this. Only thing, I didnt think GSP's boxing looked really good in that fight. Of course his jab was on point as always, but he threw a huge amount of overhand rights that didnt land, and without a proper setup.
He was pretty clearly rattled from all the pokes, and told his corner he could barely see. The most impressive part of that fight to me, is gsp didn't whine and cry and protest every poke to the ref. He just continued to win the fight while fighting clean. One of his most underrated performances imo because Shields was cheating so blatantly.

Revisionist history. A large part of that fight was on the feet. Most likely because gsp pulled his groin. He still dominated him and dropped him, and was never in danger while fighting hurt.

I know he dominated him and dropped him, but the majority of the fight was Georges controlling from top position. On their feet it was not very eventful either.

For me only Dan Hardy and Koschek 2 were boring, I enjoyed every other fight. I love watching him completely outclass his opponents
The only boring fight of his for me was the Shields fight, which I gave him a pass for because his eye for fucked early.

He was pretty clearly rattled from all the pokes, and told his corner he could barely see. The most impressive part of that fight to me, is gsp didn't whine and cry and protest every poke to the ref. He just continued to win the fight while fighting clean. One of his most underrated performances imo because Shields was cheating so blatantly.

Not gonna lie, I was drunk as fuck during this card. Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Shields land his first of his eyepokes in the 4th round? What I mean is that GSP didnt really look good standing starting round one. Of course it got worse with the pokes. And we have seen many fighters that usually have good standup look bad on the feet vs Shields. Its like he looks so uncomfortable in the standup, looks slugish as hell, it seems to mess up his opponenent's game, lol.

I can see that in 2018 but I didnt see it this way in 2011.

I know he dominated him and dropped him, but the majority of the fight was Georges controlling from top position. On their feet it was not very eventful either.
No, they spent a large portion of that fight on the feet.

Not gonna lie, I was drunk as fuck during this card. Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Shields land his first of his eyepokes in the 4th round? What I mean is that GSP didnt really look good standing starting round one. Of course it got worse with the pokes. And we have seen many fighters that usually have good standup look bad on the feet vs Shields. Its like he looks so uncomfortable in the standup, looks slugish as hell, it seems to mess up his opponenent's game, lol.

I can see that in 2018 but I didnt see it this way in 2011.
Been a long time for sure, but Shields was definitely poking him before the 4th

Totally agree.

The alleged “stinkers” Anderson Silva put on against Leites and Maia were more interesting to me than almost any GSP fight.
A couple of boring fights is not the same as 10 years of boring fights by GSP.

Been a decade but fairly close to a 50/50 split from what I remember. Maybe 60/40.

I don't remember well myself, but I recall Pierre controlling the fight on the ground, and taking him down every round. He had 10 takedowns.

GSP has certainly had more boring fights then exciting ones.
Do you understand math? From the replies in this thread, we can gather that the majority of posters would label six of GSP’s 22 UFC fights as “boring”:

-Alves (questionable)
-Kos 1 and 2
-Hardy
-Shields (no argument)
-Diaz

That means a little more than 1/4 of GSP’s UFC fights have been “boring”. Meaning 16 out of 22 have been the exact opposite. Let’s examine:

-Took down Hughes right off the bat in their first fight, was on his way to winning the first round until Hughes pulled off a super sweet armbar buzzer-beater. Great fight

-Defied gravity on Hughes’ slam attempt in rematch, nearly finished him with a first-round buzzer-beater of his own via Superman punch/GnP, then came back out with a head kick KO vs. P4P #2 and UFC’s most dominant champ. Legendary fight

-Outclassed Hughes in the rubber match with beautiful throws and got his revenge for his only submission loss with an armbar of his own. Great fight

-Went toe-to-toe on the feet vs. Serra in his first title defense, absorbed haymaker behind the ear plus 20-30 more bombs on the feet and on the ground before tapping out as the ref stepped in (very late stoppage). Great fight

-Nearly lacerated Serra’s spleen in the rematch with most brutal grounded knees stoppage seen in the UFC to this day. Great fight

-Came back from ACL surgery and survived a head kick and brutal GnP from beast mode Condit (champ vs. champ) but got up and dished back enough punishment to win every round. Great fight

-Came off a four-year layoff and moved up a weight class, dropped Bisping with a left hook and choked him to sleep after mauling him with vicious elbows. Legendary fight

-Went to war with young, prime BJ in his UFC return, survived a big uppercut early/omoplata late and stole the third round with a huge slam to clutch the win. Legendary fight

-Pummeled BJ’s skull into hamburger meat in the rematch (champ vs. champ). Great fight

-Went to war with pre-USADA Hendricks, survived a big beating after a slip and stole the fifth round to clutch the win. Great fight

-Arguably most epic, lopsided beatdown in a UFC championship fight over 7-fight win streak Fitch. Great fight

-Ran right through No. 2 Trigg without breaking a sweat. Great fight

-Made Sherk go “AGGH” when he ‘it ‘im wit an elbow. Great fight

-Made Mayhem and Parysian look like amateurs. Great fights

-Jay Hieron go night-night

Do you understand math? From the replies in this thread, we can gather that the majority of posters would label six of GSP’s 22 UFC fights as “boring”:

-Alves (questionable)
-Kos 1 and 2
-Hardy
-Shields (no argument)
-Diaz

That means a little more than 1/4 of GSP’s UFC fights have been “boring”. Meaning 16 out of 22 have been the exact opposite. Let’s examine:

-Took down Hughes right off the bat in their first fight, was on his way to winning the first round until Hughes pulled off a super sweet armbar buzzer-beater. Great fight

-Defied gravity on Hughes’ slam attempt in rematch, nearly finished him with a first-round buzzer-beater of his own via Superman punch/GnP, then came back out with a head kick KO vs. P4P #2 and UFC’s most dominant champ. Legendary fight

-Outclassed Hughes in the rubber match with beautiful throws and got his revenge for his only submission loss with an armbar of his own. Great fight

-Went toe-to-toe on the feet vs. Serra in his first title defense, absorbed haymaker behind the ear plus 20-30 more bombs on the feet and on the ground before tapping out as the ref stepped in (very late stoppage). Great fight

-Nearly lacerated Serra’s spleen in the rematch with most brutal grounded knees stoppage seen in the UFC to this day. Great fight

-Came back from ACL surgery and survived a head kick and brutal GnP from beast mode Condit (champ vs. champ) but got up and dished back enough punishment to win every round. Great fight

-Came off a four-year layoff and moved up a weight class, dropped Bisping with a left hook and choked him to sleep after mauling him with vicious elbows. Legendary fight

-Went to war with young, prime BJ in his UFC return, survived a big uppercut early/omoplata late and stole the third round with a huge slam to clutch the win. Legendary fight

-Pummeled BJ’s skull into hamburger meat in the rematch (champ vs. champ). Great fight

-Went to war with pre-USADA Hendricks, survived a big beating after a slip and stole the fifth round to clutch the win. Great fight

-Arguably most epic, lopsided beatdown in a UFC championship fight over 7-fight win streak Fitch. Great fight

-Ran right through No. 2 Trigg without breaking a sweat. Great fight

-Made Sherk go “AGGH” when he ‘it ‘im wit an elbow. Great fight

-Made Mayhem and Parysian look like amateurs. Great fights

-Jay Hieron go night-night
giphy.gif

Seriously people thought gsp would win, but nobody thought it would be that dominant.

Meanwhile Hendricks kos him like five years later when he's fading, and we get hurr durr these contenders are finishing guys gsp couldn't.
To be fair, I don’t think Fitch was fading much before that fight. That is still one of the most shocking one-punch KOs I’ve seen. Just makes GSP’s win over Hendricks that much more impressive, whether you think he won or not. He did better than anyone else in the world could at the time, that’s for sure.

To be fair, I don’t think Fitch was fading much before that fight. That is still one of the most shocking one-punch KOs I’ve seen. Just makes GSP’s win over Hendricks that much more impressive, whether you think he won or not. He did better than anyone else in the world could at the time, that’s for sure.
It just seems silly to me that guys finished fighters like Alves and Fitch way after gsp fought them and people immediately say "see that means he sucks" Seeing how Fitch's career has progressed since that fight, it was definitely the end of his prime or near it.

Penn 1 was fun for the first round, but the last two were pretty slow. With Alves, GSP injured his rib, and he mostly controlled the fight from the top without really doing much damage or going for submissions.
Bruh, I know it’s hard to find, but you need to go back and watch that third round again. And if you were watching it when it happened, how can you tell me you weren’t on the edge of your seat with two young, hungry legends in the making tied 1-1 and the next shot at Matt Hughes on the line?

Do you remember GSP lifting BJ up against the fence with a single leg and walking him halfway across the octagon with a slam? The BJ that NOBODY could take down? Then playing in his guard and surviving an omoplata to get the win? I’m not saying it’s the best fights of all-time or even in the top 25. But it’s a classic, for sure.

Bruh, I know it’s hard to find, but you need to go back and watch that third round again. And if you were watching it when it happened, how can you tell me you weren’t on the edge of your seat with two young, hungry legends in the making tied 1-1 and the next shot at Matt Hughes on the line?

Do you remember GSP lifting BJ up against the fence with a single leg and walking him halfway across the octagon with a slam? The BJ that NOBODY could take down? Then playing in his guard and surviving an omoplata to get the win? I’m not saying it’s the best fights of all-time or even in the top 25. But it’s a classic, for sure.

Yeah, I may be misremembering. And I was very excited for the fight at the time. GSP is my favorite fighter of all time. But I remember finding the fight a wad overwhelming in the last two.

Here is a more controversial one: I found the Hardy fight very entertaining. GSP was doing some amazing jitz.

Honestly none, the technique is something to behold in every televised fight with GSP, pointless thread

Back