what gloves for boxing in mma?

RR010V

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm using 12oz gloves now for boxing at my mma gym, but when we spar with mma gloves I'm not used to using those small gloves. would it be a good idea to use 8oz boxing gloves so I can work more on my defense?

I'm using 12oz gloves now for boxing at my mma gym, but when we spar with mma gloves I'm not used to using those small gloves. would it be a good idea to use 8oz boxing gloves so I can work more on my defense?
This happened to me when I was doing MT for awhile and transitioned back into MMA. The best thing is to spar with MMA (7-8oz) gloves, because even competition 8-10oz boxing gloves are still different in terms of bulk.

The ones I use look like these
hayabusa-tokushu-7oz-300x300.jpg

Not sure about MMA gloves, I imagine that you go very light / touch sparring / Thai style with small gloves because anything more would lead to injuries. With sparring, I've always done 16oz but that's boxing and muay thai.

Not sure about MMA gloves, I imagine that you go very light / touch sparring / Thai style with small gloves because anything more would lead to injuries. With sparring, I've always done 16oz but that's boxing and muay thai.
I dunno if its my partner's gear that's cheap, but everytime I spar with the MMA gloves, I get scratches from the edge of the stitching. I never got that with the bigger gloves.

I dunno if its my partner's gear that's cheap, but everytime I spar with the MMA gloves, I get scratches from the edge of the stitching. I never got that with the bigger gloves.

That sounds pretty shitty and annoying. Sounds like he probably has cheap gear or gear made for bag work not sparring - the hayabusa gloves you recommended look well built.

Better to train mma with mma gloves, there are nuances related to the different type of gloves that you don't train with boxing gloves.

Thats pretty common with cheap mma gloves not made for sparring. We call it velcro burn (even though in your case its the sharp edges of the stitching and not the velcro) and everyone tapes their wrist except me because I own those hayabusa hybrid mma gloves which are specfically made for sparring.

Unless you are talking about the actual sides of the hammerfist part, then that is just super shitty gear

Thats pretty common with cheap mma gloves not made for sparring. We call it velcro burn (even though in your case its the sharp edges of the stitching and not the velcro) and everyone tapes their wrist except me because I own those hayabusa hybrid mma gloves which are specfically made for sparring.

Unless you are talking about the actual sides of the hammerfist part, then that is just super shitty gear
I actually don't know which part scratches me, after its done and I'm in the change room, I see scratches that weren't there prior to the session. It might from the edges.

Back