What fights would have different outcomes under PRIDE rules?

GrantB13

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Judging fights as a whole. I can tend to be a little cherry-picky in regards to fights like GSP/Hendricks and support the GSP win by saying he won rounds but know also that if judged as a whole, the fight would have been different.

What other examples are there of fights that would go another way if rounds were not treated as if they were separate fights?

Overeem Ngannou might have gone differently with Pride's drug testing rules

Every fight Mike Perry lost.

poirier vs. alvarez.

Huge BJ nuthugger here.

But sadly, Fitch BJ would have been scored a win for Fitch. That beating BJ took in the 3rd was nasty.

Wandy/Chuck
Rampage vs Rashad because Rashad would have got yellow carded

Judging fights as a whole. I can tend to be a little cherry-picky in regards to fights like GSP/Hendricks and support the GSP win by saying he won rounds but know also that if judged as a whole, the fight would have been different.

What other examples are there of fights that would go another way if rounds were not treated as if they were separate fights?

Many many many fights!
For starters all fights where take downs against the fence are keye factors. Thers no fence in pride so all that strategy goes out the window.

Pride gave more weight to the final round; GSP would have won under its rules because he clearly won the 5th round. Part of the Pride thinking was that the person doing the best at the end took the least damage - and its hard to argue that Hendricks seriously hurt GSP when GSP came back so strong. Ask a doctor, people don't recover from viscous beatings by sitting on a stool for a minute. The damage GSP took was superficial cuts and bruises, things that used to be normal in old time sport. And I say that as someone who thinks GSP narrowly lost the first round and so should have lost under UFC rules.

Kind of silly, as every fighter would have fought a different fight as well. Most fight would never have played out the same fighting in a ring, or the rounds etc etc etc.

Any fight where they turned it on for the last round and finished strong would have been judged differently in Pride, but the first round would have been 10mins

Any fight where they turned it on for the last round and finished strong would have been judged differently in Pride, but the first round would have been 10mins
I love that Robbie Hendricks 2 was judged on pride rules haha

Diaz-Conor II

I would be impressed if Conor even survived a 10min opening round against Nate, tbh.

Wand vs bisping, wand dropped him against the cage with a punch and almost went for a soccer kick out of instinct but caught himself. Had it been been legal bisping would have got a shin to the dome bad.

Back