What fighter's stance do you guys like the best?

irollnaked

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'll kick things off. I grew up watching fedor and I always found his sambo style stance fascinating

FelineJampackedGavial.gif

Gotta be Joe Louis, but he's my favourite fighter of all time, so that's not surprising.

This video has a decent breakdown of pretty much everything Joe did, including his stance.

someone should really have told Joe that he needed to keep his hands up.
To be fair, his tendency to drop one of his hands after a specific punch (I can't remember exactly which punch it was) was the reason Max Schmeling was able to beat him in their first matchup.

Fortunately, Joe had an excellent gift for learning from his mistakes, which is why the rematch was such a curb stomp in his favour.

To be fair, his tendency to drop one of his hands after a specific punch (I can't remember exactly which punch it was) was the reason Max Schmeling was able to beat him in their first matchup.

Fortunately, Joe had an excellent gift for learning from his mistakes, which is why the rematch was such a curb stomp in his favour.
I was joking, man.

I know, and my response was more or less meant to say "While you're joking, you're not entirely wrong." Joe did have a tendency to drop his hands, and it bit him in the ass.
yeah true. but i personally can not stand that super high guard most coaches tell you do use, hands up like dutch kickboxers or winky wright. punching that way is so unnatural for me.

The stance used by the Kiatmoo9 camp in Muay Thai, Superlek Kiatmoo9 is probably the clearest example.
I can't really explain why I like it so much, except that it looks cool and there's just something about it that's so Muay Thai.

Superlek in red

I uses a hybrid of a muay thai and Sanda stance.

When i spar mma, i ad a bit of chuck liddell to my lower stance.

I have been holding my left hand all the way down to catching better takedowns and my right up to punch with success

This video has a decent breakdown of pretty much everything Joe did, including his stance.

Amazing breakdown, very well done.
Blocking or seizing the opponent's hand (lead or back) to create an opening is also practiced in Karate - very cool to see it done by one of the boxing greats.

Hehe, I'm not Lee Wylie, just a fan of breakdowns like that. Any and all compliments should go to him, rather than to me.

Love Aldo's stance. He can box, kick and wrestle extremely well from his stance.

Back