What exactly is different about Black History month than any other month?

Hehehe I was waiting for some sneaky sneaker to come in with this.

Soooo... St Patrick's day, what is that day for Americans? Is it a day for everyone to dress in green, drink green beer, go out and party and have fun together regardless of race? Or is it a Holiday to pay homage to Irish people and all their struggles, hardships and potatoes?

Guess what, the Irish and American Irish descendants (me) love to party, they want people celebrating. It's not about one race and LOOK AT ME! Irish party at their funerals for fucks sake.

One day is nothing, it's not a whole month that drags on and everyone is like; "WTF is this shit?". No, we all know WTF St Patties day is, party with each other and enjoy each others company. It's as American as it gets and multicultural as it gets.

Kwanzaa day? Indigenous People Day? There are quite a few other ones i'm sure we could look up for Black people and other people that we could keep. I'm fine with that, it's one day... hope this helps.

In America, Irish never had it remotely as bad as Black and Native peoples, so why would they need a month.

American history has traditionally neglected Native and Black cultures, so there are people who want to remedy that, and there are people like you who want to retain the old mindset of continuing to neglect Black and Native experiences.

Indigenous peoples day is good, and especially good that it replaces Columbus Day.

Hehehe I was waiting for some sneaky sneaker to come in with this.

Soooo... St Patrick's day, what is that day for Americans? Is it a day for everyone to dress in green, drink green beer, go out and party and have fun together regardless of race? Or is it a Holiday to pay homage to Irish people and all their struggles, hardships and potatoes?

Guess what, the Irish and American Irish descendants (me) love to party, they want people celebrating. It's not about one race and LOOK AT ME! Irish party at their funerals for fucks sake.

One day is nothing, it's not a whole month that drags on and everyone is like; "WTF is this shit?". No, we all know WTF St Patties day is, party with each other and enjoy each others company. It's as American as it gets and multicultural as it gets.

Kwanzaa day? Indigenous People Day? There are quite a few other ones i'm sure we could look up for Black people and other people that we could keep. I'm fine with that, it's one day... hope this helps.

Sure, the Irish like to celebrate but St. Patrick's day is a celebration of just one group - the Irish. Sure, they invite others to join. I don't think anyone has ever excluded people from participating in Black History month. Everyone is free to join that too. It's not about LOOK AT ME, although it about one group - just like St. Pat's day. I'm not sure what difference the duration makes if participation isn't mandatory...which it isn't.

And you kind of missed my other question regarding the removal of race from the collection of public statistical data.

vZ3ZzOi.jpg
I recall he did a commercial for Colt 45 where his tagline was something like "It works every time", suggesting you can Cosby bitches with it

In our house we take the time to educate our daughter about important figures within the black community. As she gets older we will take the time to educate her on the dangers of racism both individually and socially.

Last year when she was six years old my daughter chose to do her school report on Alice Coltrane and her very unique and beautiful contribution to music and Jazz. Her report was on the Album "Journey to Saccitananda" What I find most compelling about Alice Coltrane and other musicians like her is the commitment to bring a deeply meditative and spiritual inspiration to music which then rubs off on the listener. To this day Alice Coltrane is one of my 7 year old daughters favorite musicians but the whole arena of Jazz is a part of it too.

She played the first 5 minutes of this album to her class while giving the report!!

LISTEN people.

And check out Ptah the El Daoud.

In America, Irish never had it remotely as bad as Black and Native peoples, so why would they need a month.

American history has traditionally neglected Native and Black cultures, so there are people who want to remedy that, and there are people like you who want to retain the old mindset of continuing to neglect Black and Native experiences.

Indigenous peoples day is good, and especially good that it replaces Columbus Day.
I never said the Irish needed a month.

{<huh}

You are raging hard.

Sure, the Irish like to celebrate but St. Patrick's day is a celebration of just one group - the Irish. Sure, they invite others to join. I don't think anyone has ever excluded people from participating in Black History month. Everyone is free to join that too. It's not about LOOK AT ME, although it about one group - just like St. Pat's day. I'm not sure what difference the duration makes if participation isn't mandatory...which it isn't.

And you kind of missed my other question regarding the removal of race from the collection of public statistical data.
Never said anything about removal of race from the collection of blah blah blah. That isn't the discussion nor does it need to be removed.

What is the % of Irish in America btw?

Also, it's ONE day and nobody celebrates St Patties for the racial aspects of it. Nobody. I get how you're trying to argue this and connect them as equals, but there is Kwanzaa day and I'm cool with that.

Let's have a day to celebrate different cultures.

Let's have a month to celebrate everyone. What is so difficult about this do people not understand?

Never said anything about removal of race from the collection of blah blah blah. That isn't the discussion nor does it need to be removed.

What is the % of Irish in America btw?

Also, it's ONE day and nobody celebrates St Patties for the racial aspects of it. Nobody. I get how you're trying to argue this and connect them as equals, but there is Kwanzaa day and I'm cool with that.

Let's have a day to celebrate different cultures.

Let's have a month to celebrate everyone. What is so difficult about this do people not understand?

I mentioned the removal of race from the collection of data because I was asking how far you were going down the road of not singling out races, just treating everyone as Americans, etc.

I asked because part of your distaste for an entire black history month is the singling out of the race plus the scale of the event (month vs. day). So, the St. Pat's question was about where you feel about singling out a group. The data collection is about scale.

So, that question remains for me: How would you feel about removing racial categories from the collection of public data sets (just public, private entities can still do whatever they want)?

I mentioned the removal of race from the collection of data because I was asking how far you were going down the road of not singling out races, just treating everyone as Americans, etc.

I asked because part of your distaste for an entire black history month is the singling out of the race plus the scale of the event (month vs. day). So, the St. Pat's question was about where you feel about singling out a group. The data collection is about scale.

So, that question remains for me: How would you feel about removing racial categories from the collection of public data sets (just public, private entities can still do whatever they want)?
My "distaste" is merely at the fact that Black History month does absolutely nothing positive for our country. Nobody is not knowing that black people exist... they, as other humans are all over media and can even be considered over represented if we are merely looking at other races population vs media exposure.

No im cool with keeping racial data. Why do you keep asking? The subject is the point of black history month. I've answered thoroughly and responses so far have been medocre Neo matrix dodging.

It’s different because it only has 28 days.

That’s racist.

My "distaste" is merely at the fact that Black History month does absolutely nothing positive for our country. Nobody is not knowing that black people exist... they, as other humans are all over media and can even be considered over represented if we are merely looking at other races population vs media exposure.

No im cool with keeping racial data. Why do you keep asking? The subject is the point of black history month. I've answered thoroughly and responses so far have been medocre Neo matrix dodging.

THere's been no dodging. I initiated some questions, you answered them. No one's dodged anyone.

Your above answer however doesn't make much sense to me. Learning more about American history does nothing positive for our country? Because the point of BLack History Month is not to inform people about the existence of black people but to inform them about the various contributions that black Americans made to the country. You believe there is no value in learning about pieces of American history?

Your above answer is also a different answer from the one you gave previously which was that there's no need to spend a month on black history because the singling out of black people for an entire month's worth of attention runs contrary to the idea of a better society.

Like I said, moving forward, for a better society and future, we need to stop singling out races and move forward together. Recognize us as one more instead of dividing then propping up certain races.

....but the best way for us all to truly come together is if we recognized each other together, not divided.

Well given the above sentiment, it would seem that part of the best way to further than end would be to remove racial classifications from how we sort American data. That way we "stop singling out races" and we "recognized each other together".

But it appears that your interest in the above idealism does not extend past Black History Month.

Black history month should be seen as an independence celebration for African Americans.

USA became an independent country in 1776. But black people were slaves until the end of civil war nearly a century later. Yet after that, despite being "free" people, they were still suppressed and segregated based on racial lines. They were no longer the white man's property and now were US citizens,considered to be American, except they were second class citizens based on skin colour.
It took the another century later full of struggle with civil rights movement to finally gain an equal ground at least in terms of gaining equal citizen rights as Whites.

There's still a lot of things to be done to bring equality but most of the worst of the oppressive system is dismantled. They had to face and overcome so much to get where they're today. It wasn't made easy and smooth for them with all those obstacles and it involved a lot struggle and effort by many people to get where they're today. I'm not American but African Americans can be proud of Black history month.

THere's been no dodging. I initiated some questions, you answered them. No one's dodged anyone.

Your above answer however doesn't make much sense to me. Learning more about American history does nothing positive for our country? Because the point of BLack History Month is not to inform people about the existence of black people but to inform them about the various contributions that black Americans made to the country. You believe there is no value in learning about pieces of American history?

Your above answer is also a different answer from the one you gave previously which was that there's no need to spend a month on black history because the singling out of black people for an entire month's worth of attention runs contrary to the idea of a better society.

Well given the above sentiment, it would seem that part of the best way to further than end would be to remove racial classifications from how we sort American data. That way we "stop singling out races" and we "recognized each other together".

But it appears that your interest in the above idealism does not extend past Black History Month.
What is anyone learning about Black history month? What is it doing for our country? Is one race of people that forgotten and unknown that we need to single out a entire group, prop it up, bundle it into a package for the media and mass produce it for people to see that Black people do exist and that they've accomplished things? I don't think so.

I think we're not completely on the same page with this. Not wanting a <insert race here LOOK AT ME> month because i dont think its beneficial to a true multicultural society does not mean we just stop and automatically lump people together as one. So lets forget you brought that up and move on.

Oh and if St Patties and Kwanzaa are too much for you I disagree. One day of recognizing culture is fine and is apart of American culture.

Serious question here: what is different about Black History month than any other month?

The only thing I noticed was YouTube having a Black History month logo next to the Youtube logo. I haven't noticed anything different about public television. Not noticed politicians doing or saying anything different. Local newspaper seems the same as always.

So could folks list what exactly is different ?
Are highschool kids learning a bit more about Black America and or Africa in history class?
White People gave some of their privileges to Blacks in America, some to Hispanics, some to Asians, etc. But when it comes to privileges, Blacks are second only to White people in America. I want to know what you, kafir kun, and Panamaican think about my statement? I'm under the impression you guys gravitate towards the left politically. I'm from the outside looking in, and I believe the left and the right both have the same goal.

Asians muderfucker!!! We prefer to be called Asians!!! We're not a fuckin' rug... lol
Asians in fact are a rug, because everyone walks all over them. Buuuuuurrrrnnnn!!!

Well, this month does not work as hard or as long time fas the other months with only 28 days.

Forget Billy Dee Williams. Michael Jackson celebration month. But I think for now it is 'Black Panther' celebration month.
You wash your goddamn mouth.

cc-0109-modernfamily-4_3.jpg

Back