What exactly is different about Black History month than any other month?

I can't remember even one lesson properly dedicated to our Congo colonies and the genocide.

you better knock that depressing shit off

this thread is for belittling the impact of black history and asserting its memorializing only via children

It's for kids in school.

As an adult I'm free to avoid history and all it's lessons forevermore.

Suck it history!
I would point out that history begins less than hundredths of a second ago.
Which for all practical purposes is just about now.

Serious question here: what is different about Black History month than any other month?

The only thing I noticed was YouTube having a Black History month logo next to the Youtube logo. I haven't noticed anything different about public television. Not noticed politicians doing or saying anything different. Local newspaper seems the same as always.

So could folks list what exactly is different ?
Are highschool kids learning a bit more about Black America and or Africa in history class?

Generally, yes, it's most prominent in education as in American history and American literature. It is somewhat distinct from American history itself, because a black-centric history is infused with recognition of the reality that history is distorted along the lines of race by the ethnic/racial majority, mostly naturally but sometimes concertedly. Taking this affirmatively black-centric perspective might change how one, for instance, views the evolution of rock n' roll as largely deriving from uncredited black musicians, or how previous eras of sports such as boxing or football marginalized or excluded great black athletes. It might also emphasize the great contributors to American thought who have been perhaps insufficiently appreciated like W.E.B. Du Bois, Frederick Douglas, or Malcolm X.

Also, we're starting to see the month replicate into non-education spheres like consumer conscience, with people advertising and trying to actively patronize black small business, since we know that poverty and lack of property ownership are heavily tied to race.

I would point out that history begins less than hundredths of a second ago.
Which for all practical purposes is just about now.

9l2wE_PsVqZvx6t0-qHhv0kqw6XlivJ6GqB7KKdfpa0.jpg

In my opinion, jazz by itself is reason enough to celebrate black history month.

It's a uniquely American music, it's complicated, broad and inclusive, takes a lot of skill, and it's really down to black coolness that it was ever a popular musical form.
Black coolness, and white people like Hefner telling white people it was good stuff.
A lot of people bought Birth of the Cool because Playboy said it was great without ever listening and hearing it. They just played it as background party music

Essentially black history month is about patronising black Americans who are so insecure and narcissistic that they need to be told they are special every 5 minutes.

Can you imagine some guy in Nigeria being told that this a special month for his history, it probably confuses the fuck out of them. Why this month? Why only one month? Who the fuck are these people I've never heard of?

American culture is fundamentally narcissistic and this is just the black flavor of this, I'm not letting white people off the hook here, we do the same shit. Americans see the rest of the world through their racial lense and don't realise shit is a lot more complicated than that. There's no such thing as 'black history' in Africa. In fact even the concept of 'black people' is fairly new to them with the vast majority of people identifying far more with tribal and ethnic identities than racial ones. Black brotherhood is a myth dreamed up by delusional afrocentrists, the black version of the Italian Americans who would be laughed at in Italy for claiming to be natives.

Americans need to get over themselves and stop infecting the rest of the world with their egotism tbh.

Essentially black history month is about patronising black Americans who are so insecure and narcissistic that they need to be told they are special every 5 minutes.

Can you imagine some guy in Nigeria being told that this a special month for his history, it probably confuses the fuck out of them. Why this month? Why only one month? Who the fuck are these people I've never heard of?

American culture is fundamentally narcissistic and this is just the black flavor of this, I'm not letting white people off the hook here, we do the same shit. Americans see the rest of the world through their racial lense and don't realise shit is a lot more complicated than that. There's no such thing as 'black history' in Africa. In fact even the concept of 'black people' is fairly new to them with the vast majority of people identifying far more with tribal and ethnic identities than racial ones. Black brotherhood is a myth dreamed up by delusional afrocentrists, the black version of the Italian Americans who would be laughed at in Italy for claiming to be natives.

Americans need to get over themselves and stop infecting the rest of the world with their egotism tbh.
<Waaah>

Is it like shark week?

Now I want discovery channel shark style documentary films of the African American in its natural environment.

"This large male African American homo Sapian, measuring atleast 6 foot 5 and a massive 270 lbs, has spotted a potential mate, by her flashy finery. Note the classic extensions and acrylic nails. He begins the mating ritual by asking where her man at."........

It's the shortest month of the year. Duh.

It is the only month that doesn't have 30 or 31 days.

It usually has 28 days, but sometimes 29.

How is it patronizing for a narcissist to be told they are special every 5 minutes?

Yes, people in Nigeria have never heard of the USA. True.

It is the month after 'White History Month' and before 'Hispanic History Month'. We will be adding 'American Indian History Month', 'Catholic History Month', and 'Jewish History Month' to the calendar. Orientals are also looking for their month if the calendar doesn't get too full. 'Nazi History Month' did not make it into the calendar. NASA wants to have a 'Mars History Month'. Maybe a month for each planet. I would like to see 'Oklahoma History Month'.

Asians muderfucker!!! We prefer to be called Asians!!! We're not a fuckin' rug... lol

How is it patronizing for a narcissist to be told they are special every 5 minutes?

Yes, people in Nigeria have never heard of the USA. True.

Ignore the main point of the argument, check. Assinine comments on two not entirely serious sub points, check.

Well done, you're good at this. Keep going.

I dig Morgan Freeman’s perspective on the matter.

Schools cover more black history. I think media makes something of an effort to include more historical references. I just wiki'd the subject, pretty interesting to know when and why it originated. After reading it, I'm assume that outside of educational settings, most places probably don't do anything because it's not relevant to their tasks.

Back