What exactly is different about Black History month than any other month?

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Serious question here: what is different about Black History month than any other month?

The only thing I noticed was YouTube having a Black History month logo next to the Youtube logo. I haven't noticed anything different about public television. Not noticed politicians doing or saying anything different. Local newspaper seems the same as always.

So could folks list what exactly is different ?
Are highschool kids learning a bit more about Black America and or Africa in history class?

Are highschool kids learning a bit more about Black America and or Africa in history class?
Basically. Black history is often covered in this month, stuff like the civil rights movement and abolition are usually given a strong focus. Now that I think about Black History month is something that I haven't really noticed much of since graduating high school probably not a coincidence.

Basically. Black history is often covered in this month, stuff like the civil rights movement and abolition are usually given a strong focus. Now that I think about Black History month is something that I haven't really noticed much of since graduating high school probably not a coincidence.
But those aspects of history are American history and they were already covered in history and politics class in HighSchool. I don't recal a Black History month when I was in HS, but we learned about Civil Rights and Slavery.

I could be wrong but It just seems to me Black History month is mostly about people saying it is Black history month. I can't say I have noticed anything different in everyday life, including college classes, but I am not taking any American history classes though.

But those aspects of history are American history and they were already covered in history and politics class in HighSchool. I don't recal a Black History month when I was in HS, but we learned about Civil Rights and Slavery.

I could be wrong but It just seems to me Black History month is mostly about people saying it is Black history month. I can't say I have noticed anything different in everyday life, including college classes, but I am not taking any American history classes though.
Aspects of black history are also taught in other months obviously. From what I remember stuff like the civil rights movement and abolition are dealt with in their respective time periods as part of the wider history of those periods(Civil War, 60s protest movements respectively) whereas during Black History month there is a focus on the personalities in black history including from those eras and particularly, as students get older, on more obscure figures. I remember my teacher assigned the autobiography of Frederick Douglas during one black history month for instance.

Aspects of black history are also taught in other months obviously. From what I remember stuff like the civil rights movement and abolition are dealt with in their respective time periods as part of the wider history of those periods(Civil War, 60s protest movements respectively) whereas during Black History month there is a focus on the personalities in black history including from those eras and particularly, as students get older, on more obscure figures. I remember my teacher assigned the autobiography of Frederick Douglas during one black history month for instance.
Ok aside from history class in highschool and maybe American history courses in college, how is Black History month different from any other month, for the vast majority of people ?

I am just wondering why some people are wound-up about it, when there is nothing different to any other month (for the vast majority of people).

Ok aside from history class in highschool and maybe American history courses in college, how is Black History month different from any other month, for the vast majority of people ?

I am just wondering why some people are wound-up about it, when there is nothing different to any other month (for the vast majority of people).
It does seem mainly like something that has relevance within education and not really much else. If people get worked up about that I don't know what to tell them...

I'm not sure how extensive these topics are being handled in schools in the USA outside of this month, but if it's lacking I can see why there is a month dedicated to this. When you think about it, most "special" days and months aren't really that different to others. I think an integration of black history in the school curriculum is better than having one month.

We definitely could use it in Belgium. We have an extensive colonial history and it's practically ignored in schools.

I think it’s more for children. Schools hang up pictures of important black historical figures, etc.

It is the month after 'White History Month' and before 'Hispanic History Month'. We will be adding 'American Indian History Month', 'Catholic History Month', and 'Jewish History Month' to the calendar. Orientals are also looking for their month if the calendar doesn't get too full. 'Nazi History Month' did not make it into the calendar. NASA wants to have a 'Mars History Month'. Maybe a month for each planet. I would like to see 'Oklahoma History Month'.

Last edited:
It happens to be the best month in which celebrating the awesome coolness of Billy Dee Williams is most appropriate

It happens to be the best month in which celebrating the awesome coolness of Billy Dee Williams is most appropriate.

Forget Billy Dee Williams. Michael Jackson celebration month. But I think for now it is 'Black Panther' celebration month.

Forget Billy Dee Williams. Michael Jackson celebration month. But I think for now it is 'Black Panther' celebration month.
I can dig celebrating MJ.

I'd sooner have a Miles Davis month.

Millennials be scratching their thick craniums, "Who's Miles Davis?"

Most athletic and explosive month by far.

We definitely could use it in Belgium. We have an extensive colonial history and it's practically ignored in schools.

Same for the rest of us euros

They barely scratch the surface of british/french/dutch colonialism for a reason

Wouldn't want us to get too mad at our own nationalism

We used to have a joke about ghandi only being taught in schools as "the indian bob marley" because nobody wants to look too closely at rastafarianism or jamaica and the IMF or India's rejection of british occupation

It's for kids in school.

As an adult I'm free to avoid history and all it's lessons forevermore.

Suck it history!

Same for the rest of us euros

They barely scratch the surface of british/french/dutch colonialism for a reason

Wouldn't want us to get too mad at our own nationalism

We used to have a joke about ghandi only being taught in schools as "the indian bob marley" because nobody wants to look too closely at rastafarianism or jamaica and the IMF or India's rejection of british occupation
I can't remember even one lesson properly dedicated to our Congo colonies and the genocide.

Back