What does Muay Thai 'exactly' teach you?

Nooob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been training Muay Thai 4 years ago for a year in the city and left the gym after I finished study. I wanted to go back to training but around in my area and there are couple of MMA gyms that offer Muay Thai classes. I took couple of free trial and it was nothing like my old gym.

The gym I used to train is mixed and is more orientated towards fighters, they train Muay Thai/Kickboxing and Boxing. The session takes 1 hour and 30/45 minutes and they trained something like this most of the time:

Skipping, 50 push-ups, repeat with skipping, 50 sit-up, shadow boxing, stretches then drink. Your partner punching and kicking your stomach/thighs, punching/kicking/kneeing on pads/bags with your partner, learning combos and how to leg sweeps, multiple time limits, drink, clinches and lastly sparring. They treat you the very same way they treated fighters so it felt much easier as you learn some experience with your experienced partner and the trainers at the same time.

It was much more intense and the trainers takes it seriously, made sure you're doing the right thing and they would fix whatever problem you're having even when the session is over they let you train whatever problem you're having for another 10 minutes or so then you can relax with an ice on your leg and they sometimes massage it with a wooden stick.

The gym around my area doesn't have anything like that. Even though, they're much more established, modernised and "costly" than the old gym. Some are segregated between levels and the others just soft, it was incredibly boring. They just go through stretches, sweeps, doing pads/bags with your partner, clinches and sparring, that's it. I could even barely feel anything unlike the old gym that I trained where I often feel pain especially when waking up.

So, my question is do those gym really teach you that? Is that what the average session looks like? How can I find a gym that trains like the old gym I used to train? Also, all the new ones I've tried come with the 'MMA' labels if that matters (?).

Thanks.

Sounds like the only difference between your old gym and new gym is
1. the warmup is a workout and not just stretching
and
2. there was heavier contact at the first gym OR a higher skill level

You should probably just go to fight team training at the new gym, and work out before class to up the intensity.

Back