What does Gus have to do...

Gus has to outbox him. Jon Jones deserves to be the favourite but his boxing at distance is actually not that great despite all of the talk of his reach. His reach is good for his elbows but his punches don't tend to land from range.

His reach is best used for his eye pokes.

Reset like he did against Glover. Jones would not be able to land that elbow that was the turning point of the last fight.

Have Jones not be Jonny "Bones" Jones

If Jones is his old self or anywhere near it he wins.
If he is a shell of his old self and it really was steroids making him great (which I don't believe but many other posters seem to think) then Gus has a good chance.

not get hit by spinning elbows and kicks and box his ass up. and dont fight going backwards too much

Same as first, except with better cardio so he can push harder in rounds 4-5....i don't think the first was a fluke at all...styles make fights...i think this is jones hardest matchup just bc of the reach of gus.

Gus has to win 3 rounds on points that is his best bet......i see it going to a decision i don't see either guy putting the other away.

That said idk if he can do it though...i think jones cardio will outlast gus.....unless there is a plot twist because of the time off/usada stuff

Same thing he did last time but turn it up a notch. Everyone knows Gus couldve had Jones that day but he didnt finish the job so he lost a decision. He needs to come out the gate hard and dont let up until Jones folds.
I dont think Gus has it in him though. He just cant seem to cross that finish line. All the tools, missing on delivery.

KO him in the third after winning the first two rounds

Same thing he did last time... Survive all 5 rounds and win by points this time ... I don't see Gustafson knocking him out or submitting him... The only way is to win by points imo. He nearly did it last time..

This. Gus honestly didn't do a lot wrong last time.

Gus plan as per Gus himself is:

1) to keep constant pressure with offense and not give him any space, nullifying his most dangerous weapons

2) never relax for even a split second to avoid Jones pulling aces from his sleeve (Gus took headkick against DC as example)

3) keep pushing later in the rounds and in the 4th and 5 th. Says Jones is a very intelligent fighter in the way that he makes sure he leaves an impression on the judges by finishing strong.

I think is sounds like a decent strategy. Gus also said that becoming a father took off a lot of the pressure and this was the main reason he looked so good and fluid against Glover.

Back