What does a headkick feel like

Bzerkfury

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Ive been hit with a headkick with shinguards on but never flush (gloves/shoulder caught a bit of it) just wondering if anyone can talk about an experience where they got caught and took a majority of the damage from bare shin headkick. what went through your head, what did it feel like, are you able to recover but not fully, compare it to a big flush punch?

yeah I avent either. I have to imagine it fucks with your equilibrium if it hits the bac side of your skull.

I can't claim to have taken an unpadded shin to the head, but in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if its something you don't especially feel. I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that it hits you and assuming you're still conscious that it would be kind of hard to describe given how fast they are.

Think of getting hit by the shaft of a tire iron covered in skin and very thin layer of fat at 22 mph.

I haven't had it hit directly and its always hit my block (fights), and sometimes when the foot comes around the block it still sucks. When getting hit by punches it feels like I walked into a door (straights) and hooks feel like a heavy weighted slap. Headkicks still hurt even when blocked.

Even if its not a hard kick its about the most offensive thing you'll ever experience.

It sucks, but a clean liver kick feels much worse. The panic comes from feeling like bones in your face got broken or rearranged, which is problematic for those who have side gigs as male models like me.

Was sparring a HW before my fight and caught one flush that wrapped around the back of my head. I shot a double on a nearby heavy bag and then my teammates got me calmed down.

Caught one in the eye/nose in my first kickboxing fight. I immediately took him down out of instinct.

When you get hit by a head kick it obviously means you didn't see it coming. To say the least it's very surprising

I got kicked in the head flush by a heavyweight - it was with the instep though & I ate it flush. It was hard sparring in the lead up to a tournament (just getting back into training after 2 years off from knee injuries so I was very rusty & unfit). It was a bit like the Stephen Thompson vs Dan Stittgen head kick - came over my shoulder in a blind spot.

Tbh I don't even remember feeling any pain although I'm sure in the moment I must have but I did feel very sleepy/tired & disorientated - couldn't remember exactly what happened in that moment. Almost felt like my mind was all over the place and trying to respond I was a lot slower - probably got a mild concussion.

No heroics - got caught straight & had my bell rung. I managed to fight on but he was probably going a lot easier on me until my senses recovered - then back to the trenches.

I was surprised I stayed on my feet but thankfully he allowed my head to steady a bit - before dropping me with a liver shot lmao. Tough times!

It happened to me once, I got head kicked with a roundhouse to the head without shin pads by the guy in the pics below (a natural heavyweight, several times Kyokushin champion). I can't remember feeling any pain but I instantly started seeing little black stars and dots and feeling dazed. I had to stop, put my hands being my head and take deep breaths while walking around slowy. It look me a few minutes to recover.

kenny.jpg

P1012592.JPG

ken-fight1.jpg

Last edited:
Between the concussion, the broken jaws/orbit/nose, the pain, dizziness and KOs...it's not fun been kicked in the head

Been kicked clean in the head a few time both in MT and TKD. Very different feeling. In MT it's a heavier contact, pain and damage, but most of the time I saw it coming. It just that i was too tired or too hurt to be able to react and block properly. But since i saw it coming, i was able to brace my self for the impact, even if it was at the last second.

In TKD, almost every time I had no idea what the fak just happened... I had to continue the matches knowing my opponent was able to kick my head without me able to see it and defend it. It's a very bad feeling. After watching the videos, i realize the kicks had not so much power, but speed, and more important, they were double kicks, "hidden" inside feints or they were counters, and they took me completely by surprise.

One time at the nationals, a guy missed a jumping back kick to my face, sending the helmet to the judges. When i watched the replay that day I had nightmares. He was very close to me, so the kick came from under like an uppercut, passing above my head. If he had tagged me, I really think i would be still unconscious.

Heavy kicks breaks my body, fast kicks breaks my spirit...

I've been kicked few times flush. I find a punch will rock you more but the kick hurts more and confuses you as you usually don't see it coming.

Heavy kicks breaks my body, fast kicks breaks my spirit...

I guess that can make sense, I'm the opposite, I get real pissed when someone headkicks me, I basically feel like its the unarmed version of pulling a gun on me.

I guess that can make sense, I'm the opposite, I get real pissed when someone headkicks me, I basically feel like its the unarmed version of pulling a gun on me.

It's more like, for the heavy kick, i know it's my fault most of the times. So since i know i could avoid it, it's make me determinate not to let that happen again. It boost my energy because it hurts my ego. I know i could do better, so i am going to do better kind of thinking.

But when the guy is just faster, and i can't see his strike, It's messing with my confidence. I have to change my game plan, the way i move etc... It makes me "think" in the fight, and normally that's not my style. I prefer when i am in the "zone", imposing my style, acting/reacting, not thinking.

PS: I think i prefer a head kick than a stockton slap to be honest.

Last edited:
It's more like, for the heavy kick, i know it's my fault most of the times. So since i know i could avoid it, it's make me determinate not to let that happen again. It boost my energy because it hurts my ego. I know i could do better, so i am going to do better kind of thinking.

But when the guy is just faster, and i can't see his strike, It's messing with my confidence. I have to change my game plan, the way i move etc... It makes me "think" in the fight, and that's something is normally not my style. I prefer when i am in the "zone", imposing my style, acting/reacting, not thinking.

PS: I think i prefer a head kick than a stockton slap to be honest.
ca486e985835ee3de8f19808e5d94660.gif

Only once, sparring with a guy 25 kg over my weight "light contact" but still lets jsut stay it was a KO. I was at 78 and the other guy 107. I honestly did not feel it. But I have the gift of a denser bone structure than most.

You don't feel shit in the moment you get ko'ed whether its a punch elbow or kick- not in my experience- maybe just a bit of a panic attack sort of feeling as you come back though. Kinda like waking up when you've been holding your breath in you sleep.

I caught a foot/shin right in the face sparring. Feels like being slapped by a shovel.

Back