What do you think of the dutch kickboxing way of throwing the hook?

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score

What do you think about the method shown in this video when compared to a boxing hook?

Its used more to load up for the kick. If you pivot the "boxing" way, you can't really kick as there's no pivot left, the lead foot is basically horizontal at that point.

I don't see how it's different from boxing.

Also I doubt that there is just one way Dutch kickboxers throw the hook. There are tons of boxers who throw the hook like this (it doesnt seem really different in any way to me) and Dutch kickboxers who throw it differently. If it looks different its probably because of the stance but tons of boxers have a stance like this especially outside the US.

More pivot often happens because of a more side on stance and the US has a history of that at least recently where everyone tries to look like Mayweather.
Seriously look up the US amateur boxing team and almost everyone looks like a poor mans Mayweather. And before that everyone was a poor version of Ali.

Most people who have a certain view of what the "boxing way" is just thing of the current meta game in American boxing. But the US is far worse in the Amateurs than they used to be and in Europe many boxers will have a stance more similar to this....which isn't surprising since the Netherlands are well in Europe

Its used more to load up for the kick. If you pivot the "boxing" way, you can't really kick as there's no pivot left, the lead foot is basically horizontal at that point.

You can u just have a very fast long ranged low power kick

You can u just have a very fast long ranged low power kick
Its not going to be strong then, and they're going to blitz you because of that, and at that position you probably will be swept out by a solid kick, I've done it in my fights.

Its not going to be strong then, and they're going to blitz you because of that, and at that position you probably will be swept out by a solid kick, I've done it in my fights.

nope, depends on the skill levels involved, plenty of sanda guys go bladed and fare well vs high level muay thai fighters, there are just a whole load of advantages and disadvantages every which way you do it, sure maybe one way has more advantages but its pretty close so you can do well from either stance

nope, depends on the skill levels involved
Sure you can, but to put that much effort into a technique imo means its flawed. You can take a long roundabout route to work and make it there 10min faster than the guy who just takes the straight path, but in the end you're putting in alot more energy and effort to do so.

If you have to spend $20 for a dollar store item, then its not good.

Sure you can, but to put that much effort into a technique imo means its flawed. You can take a long roundabout route to work and make it there 10min faster than the guy who just takes the straight path, but in the end you're putting in alot more energy and effort to do so.

If you have to spend $20 for a dollar store item, then its not good.

wrong again read my previous answer

He's putting a lot of emphasis on the load up and snap, which does open you up more (especially since he's squared up more to begin with) but probably delivers a bit more power...some guys do it more than others. Just one way to throw the hook. Seen plenty of boxers throw a hook like that.

Back